What's new

Lle Gfx

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
zilmar said:
One of the new things that have now been added in to the current beta of project 64 is low level graphics. It is slow running at 5-30 fps on my machine, so you would not want to play a game with it. Some games look great, others not so good. Here are a couple of screen shots. Feel free to discuss this here.

What PC specs do you have?

Because I'm wondering if mine would do fine with LLE GFX?

KyJelly

MI6CIA007 said:
So... correct me if I'm wrong, confirm if I'm right... this is almost a wild guess as all i know about emulation is download an emu, download roms and plugins (if neccessary), set up controler, pray it works...

The new LLE will allow the emu to be better in the long run. I'm guessing it has better potential than HLE? It will allow more games to be played, ones that can't be played with HLE? Is there a possibility that eventually it will look better than HLE and will become more effecient than it is now?

very well put and maybe that's the way i should have put it.

please smiff don't be so defensive i'm just trying to understand all this. i am not a developer (as i'm sure aren't the majority of the donators) so of course i'm looking for improvements if i'm going the dish out money, and of course the OBVIOUS reason of helping the developers is always there.

kurono

Time Traveller
It looks good and very promising. :) Keep up the good work. I can't wait until the final comes out.

MI6CIA007

ooh, i notice a new d3d plugin in that last pic, apparently it was made yesterday, or today if you're not on or before eastern time

milen

LLE is real emulation of hardware. HLE is emulation of game code, because most games use 5-6 engines. Thats the reason that some simple demos don't work in HLE :)

tetsuo55

Personally im a thrilled to hear about another LLE emulator

that makes 3 LLE n64 emulators in the works right now

as has been said before LLE emulates the hardware, if enough people help out, eventually a LLE emulator will allow full and perfect emulator of all games and demos ever made and on top of that, it will allow for improvement of some imperfections of the original hardware.

also LLE will improve HLE because better understanding of the hardware will lead to better ways to HLE the games.

im really looking forward to this

Trotterwatch

A few more games that I noticed worked with this LLE;

Mia Hamms Soccer (I scored a goal on my first try :D)
Michael Owens WLS 2000

^ Both the above work pretty well, albeit a tad slow on this 2ghz machine.

Indiana Jones also boots up the menus, the intro to the actual game complete with sound etc. In game doesn't work.

So as has been said, the LLE is another option not the main thing. HLE support is not going to be dropped.

MI6CIA007

tetsuo55 said:
as has been said before LLE emulates the hardware, if enough people help out, eventually a LLE emulator will allow full and perfect emulator of all games and demos ever made and on top of that, it will allow for improvement of some imperfections of the original hardware.

also LLE will improve HLE because better understanding of the hardware will lead to better ways to HLE the games.

im really looking forward to this

What other hardware emulators are out there for other systems, if they exist?

I think I'm going to donate, I like the software and can't wait until the next release.

tetsuo55

Check out "MAME" and "MESS"

The other n64 LLE are progressing extremely slowly as they are low prio

donating to pj64 is probably a good idea to get LLE quicker

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i think people were overestimating the impact of integrated lle to users..

1) hle (which in pj64 has always been a mixture of hle and lle anyway.. we used to call it mle for medium level emulation :p) is already so good, who's going to want the estimated athlon 6000+ it would need, for no improvement in most situations?
2) there are significant problems integrating low level graphics processing with hardware rendering. (and using software rendering to do all the texture filtering etc.? maybe double the requirements again to Athlon 12000+ or something). until someone solves the conversion problems, it can't look very good. may not be possible - because of course hle gives the author much more control to make the output in the form he needs. once you do something in lle, you lose control, and you can't have it both ways.

and other reasons.. i don't think lle is the holy grail people seem to think, for n64 anyway. this is also why it was added almost as an afterthought (hey look, we can do lle) and was never a main concern. if it had been, people would have been releasing this before 2006..
sorry if people were expecting lle=all compat problems solved and probably some day there will be an accurate all software emulator but it's not going to be something that's "better" for most people.

yes, this has happened mainly because donations motivated zilmar to do something fairly major in the rsp core, so thanks donators. i think he was initially just trying to fix some difficult games.

Last edited:

tetsuo55

Smiff said:
i think people were overestimating the impact of integrated lle to users..

1) hle (which in pj64 has always been a mixture of hle and lle anyway.. we used to call it mle for medium level emulation :p) is already so good, who's going to want the estimated athlon 6000+ it would need, for no improvement in most situations?
2) there are significant problems integrating low level graphics processing with hardware rendering. (and using software rendering to do all the texture filtering etc.? maybe double the requirements again to Athlon 12000+ or something). until someone solves the conversion problems, it can't look very good. may not be possible - because of course hle gives the author much more control to make the output in the form he needs. once you do something in lle, you lose control, and you can't have it both ways.

and other reasons.. i don't think lle is the holy grail people seem to think, for n64 anyway. this is also why it was added almost as an afterthought (hey look, we can do lle) and was never a main concern. if it had been, people would have been releasing this before 2006..
sorry if people were expecting lle=all compat problems solved and probably some day there will be an accurate all software emulator but it's not going to be something that's "better" for most people.

yes, this has happened mainly because donations motivated zilmar to do something fairly major in the rsp core, so thanks donators. i think he was initially just trying to fix some difficult games.

Your right about that, i personally believe that pc's will be fast enough to do lle n64 soon enough

there was a mostly LLE emulator for psx released recently, and it works great even on slower machines

MooglyTwo

Personally, I find the most amusing part to be that we're only just now seeing these screenshots out of Project 64 after Ville Linde threw down the gauntlet with his work in MESS.