What's new

Lle Gfx

zilmar

Emulator Developer
One of the new things that have now been added in to the current beta of project 64 is low level graphics. It is slow running at 5-30 fps on my machine, so you would not want to play a game with it. Some games look great, others not so good. Here are a couple of screen shots. Feel free to discuss this here.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
btw i get around 30fps on machines from Athlon 2400+ to 3000+
this is with jabo's video plugin.
rsp recompiler.
several other games (that previously we had no gfx for) look promising, like Dark Rift is pretty good, and Naboo is showing a start. Trotter and SGi have tried more.
note the gfx are still high res / hardware rendered. but here the ucode is emulated accurate (lle) rather than being hle in the video plugin.. although the rsp/rdp isnt perfect (yet, maybe not ever)

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
you have to be logged in to see these.. sorry that's just how the forum works, bandwidth ain't cheap i guess.

finding_nemo

Whats the benefit of LLE gfx over how gfx are currently emulated? From what I can see it looks worse, but thats to the untrained eye I take it?

OP
Z

zilmar

Emulator Developer
finding_nemo said:
Whats the benefit of LLE gfx over how gfx are currently emulated? From what I can see it looks worse, but thats to the untrained eye I take it?

The difference is HLE gfx is simulating the task, LLE gfx is emulating it. There is some issue/bug there which is stopping lle gfx looking top notch, some games look great some don't. But no one has actually emulated this before, it has all been simulated.

Clements

LLE is a massive improvement over HLE, something like this has never been done with N64. The shots look very promising!

Smiff

Emutalk Member
here's my rough summary, because i was going to post something like this to site later:

benefits of LLE to user:
more compatibility, more accuracy in some areas.

benefits of LLE to author:
no need to reverse ucode and handle raw display lists for individual game code.

downsides of LLE to user:
high system requirements, lower apparent quality (in particular: creates issue rendering with d3d, poly alignment etc)

downsides of LLE to author:
requires almost complete understanding of the n64 co-processor (!) before you get any results

basically this is another very useful debugging tool and great technical achievement, much like jabo's software renderer (which is also in 1.7beta).
(some or all of these features may not be released in 1.7, depends how things go and what the benefits are to ordinary users)

Last edited:

KyJelly

if it's slower and lower quality and the previous way works, then why do it at all? why not just invest your time into making the current way work better?

maybe i'm stupid here but i always thought "if it ain't broke don't fix it" right?

KyJelly

KyJelly said:
if it's slower and lower quality and the previous way works, then why do it at all? why not just invest your time into making the current way work better?

maybe i'm stupid here but i always thought "if it ain't broke don't fix it" right?

well the edit button isn't working for me, so...

also i think this has actually turned me away from possibly donating in order to get "the latest greatest beta" i mean why pay money for something that is going to work worse than b4? that's like paying to downgrade to windows me.

don't get me wrong, i'm very glad that the project is alive and that you are posting WIP info. i hope you keep both up.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
its an *option*. and one that is worth noting. the default is to use the HLE, which is still being improved in every way.
we do these things because we want to make a better emu.. pj64 is still about emulation, not about selling something. if people want to donate to have things, thats up to them. we hope people will want to support pj64 anyway (and they dont have to use the experimental features). i'm not going to lie about how perfect something is just so someone can be dissapointed later.

basically, some people are interested in more than just playing the games. this is for them. also as i wrote above this is really useful for developement.. jabo actually had a lot of low level already worked out because he had to, the hle quality he has doesnt just come from nowhere. but zilmar going from the 1.6 rsp to working almost complete gfx on the interpreter to working recompiler in apparently a few days was fairly amazing, *if* you've been following this.

View attachment 31246

this is how this looks now, ui will probably change.

a nice side benefit is it gives pj64 a native way to run all the games that jabo can't/won't/doesn't support through his video plugin..

Last edited:

MI6CIA007

So... correct me if I'm wrong, confirm if I'm right... this is almost a wild guess as all i know about emulation is download an emu, download roms and plugins (if neccessary), set up controler, pray it works...

The new LLE will allow the emu to be better in the long run. I'm guessing it has better potential than HLE? It will allow more games to be played, ones that can't be played with HLE? Is there a possibility that eventually it will look better than HLE and will become more effecient than it is now?