What's new

Fix for D3D6/7 'failed to initialize plugin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotterwatch

For all those given this error (on 32bit colour) with the latest Radeon* drivers, then the following should be a solution:

1) Right click desktop and go to properties
2) Go to the last tab on the right (advanced I think)
3) Click properties
4) Go to 3D tab, and ensure D3D is selected
5) Go to the compatability tab near the bottom and select:
Support 32bit Z Buffer (top option)

Then apply that.

Now Jabos D3D 1.5 and D3D7 1.4 plugins should work fine on 32bit, be that window or fullscreen :)

Please post if this fixed the issue for you.

Apologies btw if any of the stages are wrong, I'm translating from a Swedish copy of XP here, so I don't have the options in English here ;)

*At the time of writing I believe it was Catalyst 4.5. This may not work with later driver versions.

In that instance set the desktop to 16, open the emulator, change graphics plugin to 16bit then close. You can then set the desktop to whatever you like - Jabos plugin however must stay in 16bit colour.

Last edited:

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Problems, Ati video cards, i think i can help

Many peoples that uses Ati Radeon got problems with the video plugin, ex Project64 (jabo's Direct3D6 1.51), maybe this can help you all to fix the problem.

Look at the Ati.jpg picture

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
ehm i made 2 threads to that picture, i thought that this one didn't come online cuz my internet explorer crashed :)

Th3 Blind

Meh need teh PJ64
Arg
i did all that and it still doesn't work.... i get an error called: Direct3D failed to initialize your HAL device bla bla bla
Running on an ATI Radeon 9000 128 mb (Lost the box, so soz bout not being more specific) which is probably the main issue

Last edited:

DasT

I was actually quite optimistic about this working for me, bue, uh, when i go into the direct 3d setting on the 3D tab in my ati settins, instead of getting the two options you've listed, i get 'support DTX tezture formats' and 'alternet pixel center' and both were already enabled :/

any suggestions?

i'll keep looking around the settings for something similar to what you've said there, but i don't think its there, and btw i installed DX9 only a few days ago, so i doubt its that either :(

Kirix

DasT said:
I was actually quite optimistic about this working for me, bue, uh, when i go into the direct 3d setting on the 3D tab in my ati settins, instead of getting the two options you've listed, i get 'support DTX tezture formats' and 'alternet pixel center' and both were already enabled :/

any suggestions?

i'll keep looking around the settings for something similar to what you've said there, but i don't think its there, and btw i installed DX9 only a few days ago, so i doubt its that either :(

Yes I'm having this guy's problem too. I would really like a solution because I just bought a new controller and I really wanna try it on my favorite emulator. :(

Quvack

For those people who only have the 'Support DTX texture formats' and 'Alternate pixel center', when trying to do this fix (like me), I uninstalled the drivers totally, and then re-installed the Catalyst 4.6's and now I can use Project 64 fine with Jabo's graphics plugins, changing plugins doesnt seem to work and causes the error again, but an uninstall of PJ's settings and a re-install of the Catalyst 4.6's seems to fix that.

Supposedly the 32-Bit Z-Buffer was removed from a number of ATI's newer cards to cut costs or something, which was was caused our not having the option problem :p

Last edited:

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
I have problems with the latest drivers, I can use only drivers from the vendor of my card. These drivers haven't settings for z-buffer.
May be somebody knows how to enable this feature via system registry?

kogase

egh

I don't have the 32-bit Z-buffer option, even after installing 4.6 drivers. And setting the desktop resolution to 16-bit doesn't help.

bionnaki

Yes, I having the same problem. I installed 4.6, uninstalled/reinstalled project64, cleaned the registry...nothing. I also tried using 16-bit. nothing helps.

I also do not have the 32-bit Z-Buffer option either.

Quvack

bionnaki said:
Yes, I having the same problem. I installed 4.6, uninstalled/reinstalled project64, cleaned the registry...nothing. I also tried using 16-bit. nothing helps.

I also do not have the 32-bit Z-Buffer option either.

Thats strange, I did the exact same thing and it worked perfectly, I also dont have the Z-Buffer option but that doesnt seem to matter now with the drivers. *shrug* I wonder what else could cause it. Maybe give the 4.7's a shot? I'm yet to play with them myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.