What's new

Fix for D3D6/7 'failed to initialize plugin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

sympathetic dinosaur
Same problem here, have 2 computer with recent radeon cards (one with r9600 xt and another with a r9800 pro) and a laptop with a radeon 9000. On laptop works fine with catalyst 4.6, but on the two desktops there's no way to run it, even with old ass drivers or 16 bit color settings.
error on log is always the same:
Error 0x8876017C - Error creating 3D rendering surface

Quvack

I had this problem for a long time, upgrading to Catalyst 4.6 or up fixed it for a while, but then the error returned, setting the compat mode of Project64 to Win2k seemed to fix the problem, its still a little buggy, but playable.

Yoshi

sympathetic dinosaur
guys, I believe this issue is due to certain Radeon hardware incompatibility,
the recent ones. I tested today on these cards: 9600 XT, 9800 pro, 9800 XT with the lastest drivers and with old ones: no way to make it work. To make sure it wasnt an HW configuration failure I installed back a ge force 3 on these pcs and PJ64 worked fine.
I tried with all drivers version from 4.1 up to lastest on my 2 PCs, omega and non-omega edition.Tried the suggested settings. Errors are all the same:"cannot render surface" or "not enough video memory" (wich sounds ridicolous when you have a 256 MB videocard) But this does happens on other n64 emulators as well. Open GL mode? that causes an even worse bad-ass freeze don't even bother trying it.
Fixing this crap won't be easy, driver mod might be one of the solutions.

Last edited:

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
But it does work on older Radeons at least. I was just reminded of this thread today when I looked at the topic and realized why Jabo's plugins started complaining of not finding a valid, compatible card. I realized then that I had upgraded my drivers a couple times recently and so the option was reset. I went to the control panel and enabled 32-bit Z-buffer, then went back to PJ64 and changed to Jabo's plugin. Sure enough it initialized. But that error is clearly not the same as you people are getting so I don't know what to tell you. Maybe one day a new version of the plugin will be released.

Poomonster

Halright, so this'll prolly be the only post written by me.

I came here to find a solution to the problem here in this thread. I was able to run PJ 64 just yesterday, but wasn't able to today. I was really confused. I tried everything in this thread and nothing worked. I even tried different video plugins, but had no success. I had tried other emulators before, but PJ 64 was the best.

So anyways, this is what solution I came up with: I used Jabo's 1.5 plugin thingy with a different emulator. It works just as good. I used 1964, to be exact. I really like PJ 64, but it's just not working for me now.

Well, I'll see you fellas later.

QTmonster

same problem

I had the same problem as poomonster. Yep The first time I installed it, it worked perfectly fine. I left it for a few weeks then when my flatmate and I tried opening it, that 'Failed to initialise plugin' etc as posted in the screenshot above appeared. Dont know why and I use aTi Radeon 9600 series, with 32 bit colour depth and there's no z-buffer thingy. I tried a number of methods suggested here but still no luck.

Anyone finally found the solution? I use the latest Directx 9c btw. And my CPU is P4 3.0ghz, 1gb DDRRAM. Any help would be much appreciated >_<
Thanks!

Dominicwylai

Thanx, it worked, now my project 64 works great with my new graphics card. I reinstalled the graphics card with a different driver, but i forgot to reinstall project 64. But i did in the end and now it works thanx
Dom :happy:

paco903

The same problem

Th3 Blind said:
Arg
i did all that and it still doesn't work.... i get an error called: Direct3D failed to initialize your HAL device bla bla bla
Running on an ATI Radeon 9000 128 mb (Lost the box, so soz bout not being more specific) which is probably the main issue

i have the same problem, i'm running p64 with ATI Mobility Radeon 9200. please if someone knows how to fix it e-mail me to [email protected]

Trebung

I have same problem as most other here, plugin cant be initialized.
I have 'Support DTX texture formats' and 'Alternate pixel center', to choose from when other choose for Z-buffer.
I tried Catalyst driver but no change.
Have latest drivier from manufacturer homepage
Error message thats stored is
[11:54:46 PM 22/1/2005] Error 0x8876017C - Error creating 3D rendering surface.

I have
Sapphire Radeon 9600XT 256mb graphic
2x 512 mb/400 DDR Kingston as RAM
Asus P4R800-V as motherboard
P4 3,2

Last edited:
OP
T

Trotterwatch

This fix doesn't appear to work for the recent versions of the Catalyst drivers. I've actually tried forcing 32bit Zbuffer on via Ragetweak, but that doesn't work either.

The only other solution is to change to 16bit colour desktop temporarily, change the graphics plugin to 16bit colour mode, then change the desktop back. That should work, albeit the plugin will obviously not be in 32bit colour.

Last edited:

MorpheusEternal

Trebung:

I have the same video card as you, and I'm running in 32 bit fullscreen and windowed. PJ runs perfectly.

I'd suggest checking your DirectX installation, maybe update to 9.0c, maybe reinstall it if you have that version.

Trebung

I tried to change desktop to 16 bit.
I looked for change plugin but couldnt find anywhere to change it to 16bit.

I downloaded DirectX 9.0c and installed it.

But cant get plugin initialized. :yucky:

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
I don't think the new ati cards really supports 32bit z-buffer, on that picture i posted did it work to change the z-buffer to 32bit, with my 9200. But since i got my radeon x300 it ain't working at all cuz it can't be found on the menus, and to turn everything to 16bit did't even help me to use jabo's direct3D. But i think that not only the plugins are crap with the new ati cards i also think project64 is getting to old or something. I can't get a single graphics plugin to work with project64 but i can get a few of them work in 1964, like Rice Video 6.0, Direct64 and glide64. So does the new Ati cards use 32bit z-buffer or only 24? 1964 works with some graphics plugins for me that project doesn't work with but work for other users with other graphics cards. Is it possible for any person to look in these emulators source code and see why 1964 supports more than project64 and maybe update project64 a little???

Ehm.. am i a complet idiot to ask this??? :whistling

Last edited:
OP
T

Trotterwatch

PJ64 supports them all.... something up with your config methinks.

Oh and the X300 I believe doesn't support a 32bit Zbuffer wheras the 9200 does.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
Okay thx... but do all cards in the x series have 24bit z-buffer or just mine?
When i use Rice's Video with project64 it says that i can't find directx 8.
When i use Direct64 with project64 it crashes and when i use glide64 it also crashes. But those 3 plugins works okay on 1964 with my x300.
So 1964 must have something project64 hasn't.
And i have tried everything in the world to get project running, it feels

Last edited:

arthur56

I tried everything listed above but it didn't work.
I have a Dell xps laptop with a radeon card. i didn't have a problem until I upgraded from xp sp1 to sp2, then project64 stopped, refusing to initialize.
I did discover a workaround but it is very, very clunky:

1) start p64, with jabo's driver ,it won't initialize

2) options->settings-> change video graphics driver to glide64

3)options-> configure graphics plugin, select glide64; click ok

4)options->settings->change video graphics card back to jabo's

5) select and start rom

I don't know why this works, but it always does. I have tried it with >20 roms, and they all work.
reminds me of the old days with dos.

Status
Not open for further replies.