What's new

Project64 1.6 Released!

law56ker

Doomulation said:
Right... and WHY would you think that? You can't see everywhere, and games use it like the computer games, not to hide things... well mostly... but for EFFECTS. By disabling it you're pretty much dissing the way the developers wanted it. On the real console, you can't disable fog... so, why SHOULD you disable fog? If the developers wanted you to disable fog, don't you think they'd add an option or something for it?

Thats a bunch of bs. In many n64 games fog is used to help the system handle the graphics without the framerate dropping. For example the rush series of racing games. Go play them in the arcade and/or on the dreamcast, there there is either a little fog, or none at all in most cases.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Hey. New ATI drivers out, 5.4 fixed my framebuffer issues: Mario Kart's framebuffer works! Good stuff ATI good stuff.

Guess it was Drivers all along responcible.

Last edited:

gandalf

Member ready to help
ehhhh?!?!?!?!
in pokemon snap, we need to use copy frame buffer to RDRAM all the game, in order to get the "oak´s mark" working?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Copy framebuffer to RDRam was totally borked with 5.3 ATI Drivers. It would simply not work at all, it would make no dent in performance and it would produce no results. 5.4 however works.

Hey.. Cool.. even this works, the pictobox in Majora's Mask produces a picture, doesn't need Copy framebuffer to RDram to work. but it was broken in 5.3 ati drivers as well.

You do however need to copy framebuffer to rdram to get mario karts screen working and pokemon snaps results page to work. You do NOT have to have it enabled throughout the entire game.

Last edited:

Emu_Lover

Thats good news Scott especially cause my other faster comp has a Radeon 9200 in it which I'd like to try this on. Thanks. :)

loopsider

"A little problem i noticed with pj64 1.6 is that when you're emulating a game, and you click a menu, the FPS drops down alot and the whole emulator becomes laggy."

I get that with 1.5 as well.I obviously has to do with DirectX as when using any Directx object (such as a animation in Media Player) and I click on any menu, it slows down.

The menu shadows are a great help though.

Rice

Emulator Developer
It is a common problem, not only with PJ64 or with Jabo's video plugin. The problem should only happen if you enabled FSAA. It also depends on video card and drivers.

Gill

Banned
this emu has worked extremely well for me especially with jabos drivers

ive tried zelda:majoras mask Super smash Bros mario 64 and 1080 snowboarrding

even with high resolutions i still get amazing performance :bouncy:

neilencio

One significant thing about the new d3d8 plugin is that it has lowered the system requirements. My Savage4(32 mb. PCI, hah!) no longer hangs with it(it still hangs with the d3d6 though). And the speed and quality of the image is almost on par with my TNT2, with the only difference being minor graphic glitches(the borders in Pokemon stadium are white, the car reflections in ridge racer 64 are a little deformed) and a few incorrect colors(The menus in WWF no Mercy), but that's actually a miracle since this is a card that can't even show the opening screens in other plugins, and wasn't even playable in the d3d6.

Nick_kidid0

Member since 2001
I've found something weird with my GeForce 4 Ti4200 (128mb version/AGP8x) and Project 64.
When running any game that needs the FB, If i'm running the game in windowed mode with FSAA switched on, the FB doesn't work at all, and the games can run up to about 150fps (Pentium IV - 2.4GHz 533mhz FSB) with the FPS limiter off. However, when i disable FSAA, the FB works and the emulation becomes horribly slow, about 24fps...
I know the FAQ says that FB emulation will make any game slow down, but is this what is meant by slow or is something going wrong here?

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Found a new problem, Turok 2, just after the first cutscene on the first level, saved a savestate then loaded it, there was no sound...

Edit: I just tried again and the sound was there fine... hm. wonder if its random?

Last edited:

neilencio

ScottJC said:
Found a new problem, Turok 2, just after the first cutscene on the first level, saved a savestate then loaded it, there was no sound...

Edit: I just tried again and the sound was there fine... hm. wonder if its random?

I don't think that's a problem exclusive to pj64. Same thing happens to me even in 1964, particularly in games like Zelda OoT and Pokemon Stadium 2. Also randomly.

Although IIRC, I was using Jabo's D3D6 at that time.

Cönker1

ScottJC said:
Hey. New ATI drivers out, 5.4 fixed my framebuffer issues: Mario Kart's framebuffer works! Good stuff ATI good stuff.

Guess it was Drivers all along responcible.
I still get really crappy speeds when framebuffer is enabled. Even with the new drivers. I see your video card is like 4 times better than mine is, but ahh well. But if I use Jabo d3d6 it work fine? Hmm.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
It's not about speeds.. the framebuffer is slow yes but with it on before it never worked with the last drivers, at least now it does. Framebuffer won't be fast unless its specialized like it is for Majora's Mask.

I've said this like 4 or 6 times now and i'm sick of repeating myself, from now on if you don't get it... well then you need to become smarter.

Nick_kidid0

Member since 2001
ScottJC, maybe some of us don't have the time to read the entire thread, or haven't been following it all. I was just asking for a specific question as i thought it was a problem on my end only.

Burnpro

Supar ***
Hey guys, ive heard that mk trilogy work at full 60fps on fast machines right now, but on this amd duron 1.06 ghz fps dips into low 20's and is up to 50's at times, if i switch to full screen it never get more than 40 fps.

Can anyone give me advice to speed up mortal kombat trilogy in this pj 1.6 ?

(vid card is s3g unichrome IGP, crappy i know :p)

Trotterwatch

I think the plugin was partially tested on that card and it was found to perform pretty good. Only tip I can give is ensure the filters are turned off/AA/AF/2Xsai

Cönker1

ScottJC said:
It's not about speeds.. the framebuffer is slow yes but with it on before it never worked with the last drivers, at least now it does. Framebuffer won't be fast unless its specialized like it is for Majora's Mask.

I've said this like 4 or 6 times now and i'm sick of repeating myself, from now on if you don't get it... well then you need to become smarter.
I don't see how it never worked with older ATi drivers, although I didn't have 5.3 I had 4.12. Still, why would it work with older drivers, then the new ones screw up, then the newest ones are good?