What's new

Zelda64 Actor Viewer status thread

mdtauk

Zelda Hi-Res Texturer
If its possible to separate and extract the files into zmap, zscene, and other files and directories, then it is a reversal process to recompile into a workable ROM surely?

Also, Cool, how did those other models turn out, could you perhaps post some screens when you get the time. This is the only place to keep up with progress, now Zelda Coalition is down...

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Minor update.. z-fighting fixed (triforce in this pic).

Many more additions/updates in the code as well... I'll post them as they mature some. :)

A public, highly usable release will hopefully come soon as well - I'd like to simplify a few things first.

nozfightdt4.jpg

Edit: ahh, what the heck.. per-mesh (if you know how n64 dlists work, this will make sense, and if you don't know what a polygon mesh is, wiki it :p) manipulation support. This basically means that with one click and drag (or keyboard movement) you can move and "rotate" all vertices (a vertex doesn't rotate per-se.. some math involved) per the specific mesh (meshes are separated by texture, blending commands, and so on). In the picture, I clicked one vertex of the triforce, the whole mesh was selected, and I moved it up with the mouse. From there, the possibilities are insane. :p Oh, and the collision will match the graphics automatically. ;)

permeshmu3.jpg

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Minor update.. z-fighting fixed (triforce in this pic).

Many more additions/updates in the code as well... I'll post them as they mature some. :)

A public, highly usable release will hopefully come soon as well - I'd like to simplify a few things first.
Really great, that you still have the users in mind, if you code such a fantastic piece of software!
Edit: ahh, what the heck.. per-mesh (if you know how n64 dlists work, this will make sense :p) manipulation support. This basically means that with one click and drag (or keyboard movement) you can move and "rotate" all vertices (a vertex doesn't rotate per-se.. some math involved) per the specific mesh (meshes are separated by texture, blending commands, and so on). In the picture, I clicked one vertex of the triforce, the whole mesh was selected, and I moved it up with the mouse. From there, the possibilities are insane. :p Oh, and the collision will match the graphics automatically. ;)
Incredible job! It's really a pain in the ass to include automaticallly collision fixing and you did that again without big problems.
Really looking forward to the results! Keep us informed because ZSO is down.

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Ahhh... one more shot. Don't shoot me. :ninja:

mdtauk: I'm rewriting that portion on its own, as in it's not part of UoT anymore; it's a standalone app which by design will support more microcodes than OoT's (F3DEX2). When significant progress is made (ie, usable), you'll be the first to know, I assure ya. Sorry for the wait. Optimization of dlists is a real pain in the ass, bear with me. :p

If you recall, the medallions in the Temple of Time's sword chamber are colorless normally (8bpp grayscale textures, minor vertex coloring for shading). The program has had the ability to modify diffuse colors for a long time, the significance here being that I was able to do it very quickly with the "per-mesh" vertex selection feature. Oh, and it's another example of the z-fighting fix; the medallions are coplanar with the ground they "sit" on.

colorszg4.jpg

Last edited:

Cyberman

Hmmm That's a problem with numerous things. How does the Zelda games handle the 'coplanar' sort? Are the medallions a step up vertically or do they have a priority method or drawn in a fixed order?

I'm curious how the decision is made.

Cyb

Cybertronic

Wow I cant wait, I was a little worried when ZC went offline but luckily the wiki for it is still up so I have been mainly using your application to identify unknown actors or variables. I managed to get the Actor Code for Adult Ruto to work, but all it does is trigger the cutscene of link meeting her 7 years later. If only we could find a way to have your utility Swap out AI between actors... but that requires an ASM Code god like you stated a while back....

wareya

Whee. You know, it's been wince winter(?) since you last released a public version(that leak was both corrupted, and not your fault) . Can you just... Fix the non-work-around-able bugs without adding new features until after you release it? Please? Anyway, nice progress with rendering prioritized things correctly, and multi-vertex (per-index, I assume?) rotation and... Manipulation? :p And don't take what I just said earlier TOO literally. But it'd get a LOT o people off your case. Also, that you or teaching me how DLists work, because now I know how to model swap. I'll try to get a SSB model if I can decompress it. If not, I'll go for battletanx.

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
I just moved across the country (South Carolina to Washington state), and don't currently have Internet access at home... but the new release is ready. I should be back up and running within the next couple weeks or so.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I just moved across the country (South Carolina to Washington state), and don't currently have Internet access at home... but the new release is ready. I should be back up and running within the next couple weeks or so.
Great to hear, looking forward to it and more impressive mods coming from it. =)

Cybertronic

As a Charter Internet Technician I apologize the the crappy service you may have had with charter in your previous location and the measly 20mb webspace... :bouncy:

Zeth Alkar

Hiding in the shadows

Wow I'm glad to hear your okay, So that's why you haven't been on MSN. lol
Well I hope your well and look forward to your awesome new release! :p

Cybertronic

Can someone please explain to me how actor groups work? I noticed that sometimes Even if I used the right group for an actor if It isnt a certain group number in UOT it will not load the actor.... I have been painstakingly going through maps recording the offsets for actors, but I have yet to have a reliable way to test their groups. For example, Princess Ruto is 00D2 00CA
I know the group is 00CA, but she will only show up if she is the 2nd or 3rd group in a map file I have also been keeping track of variables used for various actors in their original setting, which hopefully will help us gain insight for Cutscene characters and what not.

On the bright side I have Identified all the sages, so now the chamber of sages is no longer a big mess of ? boxes (I did this buy replacing various things in cutscenes and recording what was missing or different.) I have noticed a pattern in various groups but I am not sure what this means yet.

Anyways Using your tool I hope to have all the actors and their groups successfully identified.

BioBomber

World Building Nutjob

Damn right it's ready! XD I WANT MY UOT FIX!

(Guess who :p)

wareya

Okay, I was playing around with UoT and noticed two odd things about it. One, the camera is off-center. Pretty annoying. Second, the camera's aspect ratio changes with your video card/renderer/something that changes between computers. REALLY annoying.

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Okay, I was playing around with UoT and noticed two odd things about it. One, the camera is off-center. Pretty annoying. Second, the camera's aspect ratio changes with your video card/renderer/something that changes between computers. REALLY annoying.

Camera off center? I don't know exactly what you mean by that, but it certainly feels "centered" to me. The camera is simulated by simple trig functions (sine, cosine).

Your second concern I don't understand - though the only time UoT messes with the aspect (gluPerspective()) is if the window is resized.

Elite Knight - the next release allows editing of the texture coordinates, so that you can match them up with any geometry changes (ie, making a ladder taller - editing the V coordinate (height) will fix the "stretchiness" that came with modifying the geometry).

Regarding my status, it's been tough acquiring a connection in the area I'm at, though 3Mb/640Kb DSL will be available in my area on the first of next month, and I've signed up for it to be connected then. As for how I'm posting this - thank god for public libraries, eh?

Sorry for the huge delays, but life's been taking over in a big way. {}:{

Last edited:

BioBomber

World Building Nutjob
Good to hear from you again, my man. But why didn't you respond to my e-mail? I'm hurt... :'(

lol j/k

I think that with this release (once it's out) I won't be on your back NEARLY as much for a new version :p

OP
C

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Ahhh... still connectionless, but here's a little something I think will make a few people happy (yes, finally, palettized 4/8bpp texture support :p).

The NPC heads are all unused (OoT), btw. The second one can be seen in some old beta shots.

ciql0.png

ci0hr5.png

ci4ks5.png

ci6qd4.png

b1vc0.png

b2ki5.png

Last edited: