What's new

Why is CBF so jittery and slow?

OP
g00beRz

g00beRz

Peej
Eh, ok. :) Same values.

edit: Well, turns out he went into the BIOS yesterday evening and I do have an AMD Athlon 1800+. So you guys were right there.. But my boyfriend was right in the department that it would not work, my RAM is PC100 and it runs too slow to work properly with the 133 speed. We tried it out for 20 minutes. Around the twentieth minute my system started lagging. So he switched it back.

So, sorry you guys but it did not work and will not work until I purchase some DDR ram. And that won't be for awhile since I just bought brand new PC100 RAM.

( :

Last edited:

MorpheusEternal

I've been reading this thread with interest.

I have an AthXp 2800+ - when it's first installed (built it myself) it's recognised and set on a 100Mhz buss automatically (some bios safety thing).

When you boot up the bios shows it as a generic Mhz number, not an AthXp. Same as WinXp, a generic Athlon. Reset the bus to correct levels (133) and the startup screen displays "Athlon Xp 2800+", as does WinXp.

Also, I see from your memory screeshot from CpuZ that you have at least 1 pc133 ram module. I suggest you click on the drop-down box in the upper left ("module1") and se what the other 2 modules are - if ANY one is pc100, they ALL become pc100. You may be lucky and only have to change one!!

One other thing to note: Running the memory over speed (all forced to pc133) will NOT harm anything - if it can't take it you'll start to see memory errors and random crashes in games. Things like WinRar will say a rar file is corrupt (or WinZip, etc). Just reset the speed to 100.

Memory overspeed will NOT lead to "Around the twentieth minute my system started lagging. So he switched it back."
If you're getting some sort of lag (I assume you mean a lack of response from the computer, not internet lag) it means there's a lot of extra stuff going on and the cpu is running at 100%.
This may be because you have a lot of unneeded programs running (nero startsmart, icq, msn stuff, monitor tools, etc). Just check your system tray, lower right, and see how many icons there are there - I have 4, including the giga ethernet and a download manager, some people have dozens!!!

OR you may have a transmitting type of virus (one that sends out data or is used to launch a secondary attack on another computer) - You may need to run virus checkers.

Just see what CpuZ says about the other memory modules (you have 3, all 128M, one at least is PC133).

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
g00beRz said:

edit: Well, turns out he went into the BIOS yesterday evening and I do have an AMD Athlon 1800+. So you guys were right there.. But my boyfriend was right in the department that it would not work, my RAM is PC100 and it runs too slow to work properly with the 133 speed. We tried it out for 20 minutes. Around the twentieth minute my system started lagging. So he switched it back.

So, sorry you guys but it did not work and will not work until I purchase some DDR ram. And that won't be for awhile since I just bought brand new PC100 RAM.

( :

Your ram is not PC100, it's clearly PC133 as it says in CPU-Z.. "lagging" is not caused by ram not being able to handle a speed (it would simply not work at the specified speed), apperently he messed with something else.

FFS, just because he said it doesn't make it so. :p

OP
g00beRz

g00beRz

Peej
I clicked the drop down boxes and there is only two. The first one is PC133 - 128MB. This is my old RAM in my computer. Some newer RAM I got is PC100 - 256MB of it. That is the second slot. There is *no* third slot.

I just recently got my entire system cleaned and I do not do questionable things online. I am very cautious of my computer and I make sure to keep it clean of adaware and other things like viruses. I'm not a stupid person diddling around my computer. It did have a lag and it wasn't from the internet. Right now I have four things running in my tray. AOL Instant Messenger, MSN messenger, my Bellsouth Internet icon and SpywareGuard. And that is considered overload for me. I don't like to have more then two things down there.

So the lag was not from uneeded programs, I don't run uneeded things. Everything I run, I use. So the lag was not from that. And I really don't know what it was from, if it wasn't from that. I think it was the memory..but then again, what do I know? Not much in that department. Since you guys seem to have all the answers maybe you can tell me what it was from.

Clements

I believe that the PC100 RAM is what is bottlenecking your CPU. This type of RAM is under the requirement of the processor, and brings the other module down to 100MHz. For 1800+ speeds, you need to either:

a) Remove the PC100 RAM and set the FSB Frequency to 133 (you will lose 2/3 of RAM, but get a 33% faster CPU, bad trade-off) or
b) Buy some PC133 or PC2100 (DDR 266) or better and remove the PC100 RAM and set the FSB Frequency to 133.

OP
g00beRz

g00beRz

Peej
I'm not about to buy more RAM to make my computer at it's optimal top speed; especially since I just bought the PC100 RAM less than a month ago.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Whatever works for you - if everything works fine now, more power to you.

Personally, I couldn't have my CPU intentionally underclocked. :p

OP
g00beRz

g00beRz

Peej
Well, I don't want to have to sell all my belongings and possessions and home just to optimize my computer.

(is being sarcastic, mind everyone)

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
g00beRz said:

( :

That may be because you're required to relax the SDRAM timings for it to work properly at 133 mhz. If currently at CAS 2, then for it to possibly work properly at 133 mhz you're required to change the CAS setting to CAS 3!

SDR SDRAM often uses CAS 3.

FYI, unless the motherboard has two types of SDRAM slots, (likely with the ECS K7S5A motherboard) to use DDR SDRAM, you're required to get a different motherboard!!!

Last edited:
OP
g00beRz

g00beRz

Peej
RJARRRPCGP said:
That may be because you're required to relax the SDRAM timings for it to work properly at 133 mhz. If currently at CAS 2, then for it to possibly work properly at 133 mhz you're required to change the CAS setting to CAS 3!

SDR SDRAM often uses CAS 3.

FYI, unless the motherboard has two types of SDRAM slots, (likely with the ECS K7S5A motherboard) to use DDR SDRAM, you're required to get a different motherboard!!!

So I am told... :( PC133 will work.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
MorpheusEternal said:
RJARRRPCGP

Not bad getting a Thoroughbred to that speed/clock.

What do you reckon I could get a Barton 2800+ to?

Probably at least as good as an Athlon XP 2400+ can. Mine can do 2.4 ghz, but insanely hot and when at that frequency, only ran Prime95 for 3 hours. I manually stopped Prime95 after only 3 hours.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Why post a whole new image just to show you've overclocked a TINY bit more? Also.. alt+prntscrn = only the active window being copied to the clipboard.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
cooliscool said:
Why post a whole new image just to show you've overclocked a TINY bit more? Also.. alt+prntscrn = only the active window being copied to the clipboard.

Booo.

OP
g00beRz

g00beRz

Peej
Wow, two years later, I finally got DDR ram. I'm debating whether or not to go into the BIOS and change some stuff... I shed off that boyfriend too. Awhile back, actually.

You guys were right, he was an idiot.

When I first got this RAM, I had some problems getting my computer to recognize it all... crazy blue stop-screens and all. I'm kinda scared to alter the BIOS. :p