What's new

Why is CBF so jittery and slow?

OP
g00beRz

g00beRz

Peej
Wow, um, thanks a lot. I will email this to my boyfriend... :)

edit: Hey look! Here's my motherboard - http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/ecs-k7s5a/

He says that changing the speed would cause it to overclock.. and it wouldn't really change my performance much. I don't really know..and I don't really understand, but I don't need overclocking and all that complicated stuff. It's fine the way it is now. Thankyou all for all the info, though. :)

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
If you set the FSB to 133 Mhz, then you won't be overclocking.

If you decide to set the FSB to, for example, 138 Mhz to get the processor to almost 1.6 Ghz, then you would be overclocking and thus make sure the temperatures are within tolerable ranges.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Risk? Where's the risk? It's designed for a 133MHz FSB, so there's more risk running it underclocked than 133, its designated speed.. Running your XP 1800+ at it's normal speed, you'll notice a huge boost from the 100 it's at now, I guarantee you. Once again, there's absolutely no risk.

Your boyfriend doesn't know as much as he thinks. ;)

Clements

Both your motherboard and processor safely 100% support 133MHz FSB. What type of RAM do you have? (Use CPU-Z, click memory, hopefully it will say what type)

Clements

Well that just confirms it all. PC133 RAM is 133MHz as well. You just need to set your FSB to 133 in the BIOS and your computer will speed up by 33% to it's intended default. Any body who knows anything about building a PC will know this.

Lestatz

I never saw this app before, so does my pc look fine, I see no reason it wouldn't be. I put it together like 3 years ago, but still doesn't hurt to dbl check. So whatcha think of my POS:

Clements

Lestatz said:
I never saw this app before, so does my pc look fine, I see no reason it wouldn't be. I put it together like 3 years ago, but still doesn't hurt to dbl check. So whatcha think of my POS:

I *think* yours is fine, apart from the voltage seems a little crazy, probably a misread.

Refer to:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/images/cpu_table_amd_big.gif

As you can see on this chart, in the case of g00beRz's comp, no Thoroughbred AthlonXP processor with 100MHz FSB exists - a definite underclock, whereas with yours (Lestatz's), there is a processor there which does correspond. It may be possible that it's the 133FSB variant, but probably not.

OP
g00beRz

g00beRz

Peej
My boyfriend says that CPU-Z is incorrectly displaying my processor. He says I have an AMD Athlon, not an AMD Athlon XP. So that is why. :p

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
well considering the fact that no athlon xp runs at that speed its quite possible windows xp displays it as an athlon processor.

Lestatz

Clements said:
I *think* yours is fine, apart from the voltage seems a little crazy, probably a misread.

Refer to:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041221/images/cpu_table_amd_big.gif

As you can see on this chart, in the case of g00beRz's comp, no Thoroughbred AthlonXP processor with 100MHz FSB exists - a definite underclock, whereas with yours (Lestatz's), there is a processor there which does correspond. It may be possible that it's the 133FSB variant, but probably not.

Yeah, my fsb is definately 100MHz, old pos. But whats wrong with the voltage? what should that be.

Clements

g00beRz said:
My boyfriend says that CPU-Z is incorrectly displaying my processor. He says I have an AMD Athlon, not an AMD Athlon XP. So that is why. :p

The name in the system properties changes. If I put my 3200+ processor on 100FSB, it would result in a 1.1GHz CPU registering as an 'AMD Athlon'. I also had a 1800+ CPU (same as yours) and overclocked it to 1.6GHz. It then registered as a 2000+. This shows that the system properties can change.

For CPU-Z to read it wrong, it would have had to get the core type wrong, and the processs wrong, and the multiplier wrong. CPU-Z has rarely been this wrong for me. Your processor is underclocked.

prankster959

Clemments is right, I've seen this kind of thing before. It wouldn't be overclocking, it would just be clocking it to the default speed it was meant to run on which is the most safe, and less risky. You bf obviously doesn't know shit. And a 1/3 increase in speed is a huge difference IMHO.

Last edited:

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
*sigh*

That's more risky then just f'ing setting it to 133 in your bios.. there's no risk at all. If you set it to 133 and it messes up somehow, I'll personally buy you a new CPU.

Your boyfriend sounds like the idiot "techs" at my school. Tell him I said that too, so he can do his homework and then try to sound smart. :p

Last edited:

xamenus

RJARRRPCGP said:
"Underclocked"= that means having a processor that running at a lower clock speed than the processor is made for, won't damage the processor, but defeats the purpose of a gaming system.

Download CPU-Z from here: CPU-Z is a utility for displaying the processor frequency.

When the download is complete, unzip it to the desktop and then run it from there.
Just for the record, that's not the latest version of CPU-Z. ;)

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
IceFox said:
Just for the record, that's not the latest version of CPU-Z. ;)

Thanks, but even the ones of a tad earlier version isn't known to display wrong values with socket A (AKA 462) Athlons.

BTW, it's an Athlon XP, according to CPU-Z, which is known to be accurate.

The Vcore value is fine, assuming it's an Athlon XP 1800+ or lower.

Last edited: