What's new

Why is CBF so jittery and slow?

g00beRz

Peej
I just downloaded this game and it isn't being very cooperative with my system. I have attempted to emulate it with Jabo 1.5.1, Rice 5.2 and Rice 5.6. Is this a plugin problem or what? :(

Allnatural

I've noticed the same problem, except when I use schibo's audio plugin. That being said, I get better results overall (with this particular game) when using PJ64 in it's default configuration.

OP
g00beRz

g00beRz

Peej
Well, I have played it on PJ64 and it works better. But I can't seem to understand why PJ emulates it better then 1964 with the same plugins. I will try schibo on 1964. I try to not use PJ because I like 1964 better. It's more user friendly.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
PJ64 is the choice emulator for Conkers, it even runs better than 1964 does for me, use that not 1964.

1964 just doesn't handle this game quite as well as PJ64 (PJ64's authors focused a lot on this game I believe).

OP
g00beRz

g00beRz

Peej
RJ - That is the next thing on my list to buy. Once I scrap up enough cash. Unfortuneately, I am not made out of money. :p Not everyone can have the fastest and the best.

Scott - thankyou for the info. I have started playing it on PJ. :)

Allnatural

ScottJC said:
PJ64 is the choice emulator for Conkers, it even runs better than 1964 does for me, use that not 1964.
And Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie run much nicer on 1964. tit for tat ;)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Of course Allnatural, but Banjo-tooie is best run on 1964 0.8.5 not 0.9.9. otherwise you get collision problems concerning fire eggs :p

OP
g00beRz

g00beRz

Peej
ScottJC said:
Of course Allnatural, but Banjo-tooie is best run on 1964 0.8.5 not 0.9.9. otherwise you get collision problems concerning fire eggs :p

Wow, only someone that really knows that game would know that. I have Tooie and Kazooie. I love those games. :)

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
"Underclocked"= that means having a processor that running at a lower clock speed than the processor is made for, won't damage the processor, but defeats the purpose of a gaming system.

Download CPU-Z from here: CPU-Z is a utility for displaying the processor frequency.

When the download is complete, unzip it to the desktop and then run it from there.

Clements

Perhaps the low speed RAM is forcing the underclock, so there is nothing she could do other than buying new stuff.

OP
g00beRz

g00beRz

Peej
Wow, I didn't realize my AMD was underclocked... I didn't know there was such a thing. Stupid thing. Better run at optimal speed. I am going to see what it is running at..I am downloading the program. :)

edit: Okay..I dled this thing..how do I know if my processor is running at optimal speed? This is so confusing. :/

Last edited:

Clements

g00beRz said:
edit: Okay..I dled this thing..how do I know if my processor is running at optimal speed? This is so confusing. :/

Post a screenshot of what you get with Alt+PrtScn, then we can determine if it is underclocked.

Clements

Your processor is most definitely underclocked, since no Thoroughbred exists with that speed or uses just 100MHz FSB. I am almost certain that your processor is really a 1800+ (1.53GHz) with 133MHz FSB underclocked to just 100MHz FSB.

Hopefully your existing memory and motherboard is good enough to restore the core speed to default (133MHz FSB in the BIOS), and you won't have to spend a cent, and get a massive boost in performance.

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I reckon you should get out your motherboards manual and see if there is any jumper/dip switch settings that allow you to change the fsb from 100mhz to 133mhz. if this is the case you should do it because you'd get a heck of a speed increase from it.

If you can't do this get a pc knowledgeable friend to do what I just said hehe... if you aint got the manual... find out which make your motherboard is by looking on the motherboard (usually printed near the PCI slots).

Beware though... be careful.. use my info at your own risk... I could be entirely wrong! :p

If this setting can be changed in the BIOS you should do that, most of the time it requires hardware setting though.

OP
g00beRz

g00beRz

Peej
Eh.. I guess I should talk to my boyfriend about it.. he would know. But, why is my processor underclocked? I don't understand.. what did I do. :/

Allnatural

g00beRz said:
Eh.. I guess I should talk to my boyfriend about it.. he would know. But, why is my processor underclocked? I don't understand.. what did I do. :/
Your processor's speed is determined by an arbitrary multiplier value x the speed of your FSB (front side bus). Your proc has a multiplier of 11.5. With a FSB of ~100 MHz (11.5 x 100) you get your current speed of 1.15 GHz. That proc is likely designed for a 133 MHz FSB (11.5 x 133) which would give you a speed of 1.53 GHz. Your mobo, like most models these days, is designed to accommodate a variety of processors.

Your motherboard should allow you to change the FSB speed, either a switch or jumper on the board itself, or a setting in the bios. Assuming your RAM can handle the higher speed, you should change the FSB. A quick, cheap (free) upgrade. :)

jdsony

So technical...

Basically g00beRz, whoever set up your computer neglected to set a switch on your computer's motherboard that tells it how fast to run. It's probably not something you caused. There are two possible ways to change this:

1) Opening up the computer and changing a switch or sometimes a jumper (a little square thing that slides over 2 pins connecting them together).

2) Sometimes the change can be made in the bios (when your computer starts up you can press the "del", or "F1" or "F10" key (depends on your computer which key you need to press). This will bring you to a screen that shows a bunch of system settings. There may be a setting for FSB. This should be set to 133 instead of 100.

Either way it's best to get someone who has done this before to fix it for you. A quick fix but it will make a nice improvement in your Conker playing.

I've seen this kind of thing before. My girlfriends dad took his computer in and had the processor and motherboard replaced (upgraded) and they neglected to change the fsb settings so the processor was running at half the speed when he got it. They also hooked up his CD-writer with the IDE cable upside-down and they were unable to hook up his dvd-rom (they said it was broken). Of course being a tech myself I ended up fixing it like everyone else's computer in my family.