What's new

what do you think about the GP32?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandamoan

Banned
ARTH said:
GP32 hmm... very good console but there's one big problem - games. How many games do this console have, 30? Maybe less.

well if you count snes games.... try closer to 700. :)

i think that's the primary reason people get the gp32 anyway.

pandamoan

Banned
damn!

jollyrancher said:
Anyone with a clue would wait for the new Sony handheld before shelling out $150 for one of those things. Some of the specs:

damn! that sounds awesome! i could store all my mp3s on it and everything! /me thinks about the audio in jack on his car stereo.....

DAMN!

what's the approx cost though :worry:

if it's more than $150, i doubt a handheld will ever be justifiably worth more than that... especially for those of us with multi person budgets....

;)

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
I've heard nothing of anything involving ROM cartridges on PSP.

And keep in mind, A. it's gonna be EXPENSIVE, and B. it's gonna have crap battery life.

jollyrancher

Well of course it's going to be "expensive" considering how much more powerful and functional it is that the GBA... but I doubt it'll be something like the Neo Geo where no one can afford it. I'd guess it'll be $300 to start and drop down 6 months later. And sure you won't get insane battery life like with the original Game Boy, but it's rechargeable and if it gets 8 hours, that's all you really need for one day.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
jollyrancher said:
Well of course it's going to be "expensive" considering how much more powerful and functional it is that the GBA... but I doubt it'll be something like the Neo Geo where no one can afford it. I'd guess it'll be $300 to start and drop down 6 months later. And sure you won't get insane battery life like with the original Game Boy, but it's rechargeable and if it gets 8 hours, that's all you really need for one day.

8 hours? That's almost what GBA-SP gets with the light on all the time. Don't count on it. GBA-SP has a smaller screen, frontlit not backlit, and doesn't have to spin a disc drive.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
well you can emulate on the fscking gba anyways ( i can run NES and SMS/GG flawlessly)
and i am not buying the PSP not now nor never, i hate sony! DIE! :term:
i am waiting till nintendo retalliates with something cooler, but if they screw up again and go cartridge based for "quicker load times bla bla" i am getting a PSP fer sure
the gp32doesn't have many commercial games tho, that is what dettered me

Trotterwatch

and i am not buying the PSP not now nor never, i hate sony! DIE!
i am waiting till nintendo retalliates with something cooler,

Ok... nice attitude.

but if they screw up again and go cartridge based for "quicker load times bla bla" i am getting a PSP fer sure

Erm, so you go from not getting a PSP ever to getting one for sure in one post... wow

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
sheik124 said:
well you can emulate on the fscking gba anyways ( i can run NES and SMS/GG flawlessly)
and i am not buying the PSP not now nor never, i hate sony! DIE! :term:
i am waiting till nintendo retalliates with something cooler, but if they screw up again and go cartridge based for "quicker load times bla bla" i am getting a PSP fer sure
the gp32doesn't have many commercial games tho, that is what dettered me

Well, first off, GBA uses cartridges because systems designed purely for 2D don't exactly NEED more than 8-16MB storage. Even most 2D Saturn games' data tracks tend to be small, except ones which are VERY cinematic-heavy. :flowers:

Second, a new cartridge technology is almost ready which supports storage of 512MB and higher, almost matching CD storage and in a few steps up, exceeding it... which should also be more than enough for a handheld system. And before anyone asks, I'll answer that the new 512MB ROMs will be slightly cheaper than today's 8MB GBA ROMs.

jollyrancher

Assuming Nintendo or someone came out with a 32-bit portable system with these 512MB cartridges, I would still prefer the PSP's 1.8 GIG minidiscs that support MPEG-4 and other codecs... I mean we're talking about a PSX-quality portable gaming system (actually more powerful) that also plays full-length DVD-quality movies on a perfect-sized widescreen LCD. The thing would be perfect for travelling.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
jollyrancher said:
Assuming Nintendo or someone came out with a 32-bit portable system with these 512MB cartridges, I would still prefer the PSP's 1.8 GIG minidiscs that support MPEG-4 and other codecs... I mean we're talking about a PSX-quality portable gaming system (actually more powerful) that also plays full-length DVD-quality movies on a perfect-sized widescreen LCD. The thing would be perfect for travelling.

The carts also support higher than 512MB. Current projections say up to 1GB will be available right away and 2GB isn't much of a stretch.

And believe it or not, even GBA could use those 512MB ROMs (they're 'backwards-compatible' and GBA is capable of addressing that much memory)... and homebrewn authors have already demonstrated actual prerendered video running on GBA, at full res (240x160).

Anyway, you'd prefer a battery-sucking, slow loading format to a comparable low-power random-access format?

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
blizz said:
the real ice breaker over this new cart format will be cost

From the post before my previous post in this very thread:

me said:
And before anyone asks, I'll answer that the new 512MB ROMs will be slightly cheaper than today's 8MB GBA ROMs.

blizz

Tagrineth said:
From the post before my previous post in this very thread:

my point was that the PSP disc based technology vs your new cart technology (which I have never heard of!) will succeed based on which is cheapest :p

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
jollyrancher said:
Anyone with a clue would wait for the new Sony handheld before shelling out $150 for one of those things. Some of the specs:

-UMD or Universal Media Device. This storage media is 60mm, about half the size of the traditional CD and has a capacity of 1.8GB. That's right GB. Expect massively complex, detailed gaming (for your handheld anyway). 2.4 inches.
UMD isn't totally unheard of...afaik, the gamecube uses that storage perfecly.

-ATRAC encoding support (Sony's proprietary sound format used in their minidiscs). This could mean it will be a multi-media device.
-Graphics specs are also impressive: NURB technology for rendering with full 3D polygons.
-The unit's widescreen LCD screen (480x272, that's the coveted 16:9 ratio we all love) will be backlit.
-The unit's sound processing will feature full 3D sound, PCM, and will be "fully reconfigurable."
-MIPS 32-bit processor.
-Also, a secure ROM cartridge for anti-piracy efforts.
-Super-one-chip solution for graphics, sound, etc.
-Memory stick will be used for game saves. Also, for GPS functionality.

-Rechargeable battery.
That's no problem; I have such batteries already.

-CPU: 90 nanometers with a clock speed TBD.
-USB 2.0 connection for talking to your PC, cellphone, even your PS2.
-Embedded RAM.
-Supports additional video codecs (other than MPEG 4.)
-We suspect that the PSP will also come equipped with an analog stick and, since the media is disc-based, it may also have a flip-top lid/cover
But this thing draws an awful amount of power as taringeth said..
You'd have to about power it up every day...and a charge takes an awful amount of time.
Yet well...it's somewhat ok, but they could still try to cut down on the power...

piccolo17486

hmm this psp thing sounds cool, but also a bit to cool for me,like someone was dreaming on a forum (i know its true and sony said this) but who needs such a system yet? the gba is the worlds bestselling system now and it has good games and only 16mhz... who needs a psp now? i think a system like the gp32, perhaps with a gpu or somethin would be enough for a next step in handheld gaming...
i wonder how sony will fit all this crazy stuff in one single handheld, which should be still not to big and noisy, also i dont think that you could use the 1,8 GB for you own stuff, i think they are special format and only sony stuff can be readed first! so nothing about emus, or unofficial media players or games... since i dont think sony will release a sdk for it like gamepark for their console... i have a gp32 and i love it, watching small divx movies on it and listening to mp3s is great, also i love playing gbc, nes, PCE on it... their are so much possibilitys... and if it comes in the end to europe their will be gba ports, so i dont worry about good commercial games...

OP
F

FloW3184

Emu_and_Mobile_Freak
Who really needs 3D-sound in a Handheld system?
Who really needs so many polygons on such a small screen?
Nobody has seen a pic of this PSP! Who knows if you don't have to carry a bag on your shoulders only for the battery pack of this PSP?
it has a 3d graphics-accelerator inside... and it's almost as powerful as the PS2 (if you only look at the specs) fine... but i don't want to play 3d-games on such a small screen!

Clements

To me, the PSP makes no sense, I'd never play 3D games on a handheld. The reason I got a GBA was to get away from 3D graphics for a change. The screen is too small as said before, and the resolution won't be that good and the disks will likely be filled with FMV as developers simply cannot fill the space up.

If 3D, battery-guzzling handhelds like this suceed, I'll have to wait until Microwave Ovens develop sufficiently to play 2D games.

jollyrancher

I was looking around about the battery life and you guys are right to some degree... current estimates are about 5 hours of battery life. Even so, you'd have to be insanely hardcore to be using this thing on average more than 5 hours a day exclusively in places that don't have a power outlet... and even if you used it 9 hours one day, I'm sure you can just stick another rechargeable battery in it. And as long as it's relatively compact, which is expected, that's the main thing. Portable devices are best for travelling (otherwise just get a PS2) and you can always use an AC adapter if you're on a plane or in a car. So I'm just waiting to hear the dimensions and weight of the PSP (and price) to figure out I'f I'll get one.

revl8er

That Damn Good
What's wrong with sony trying to go up a few levels in handheld gaming. The psp might have a small screen, but you'll never know how good it is until you try it. I for one believe that it will be a breakthrough in handheld gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.