What's new

Smash Bros Melee Model Viewer Status

psychodan

Progress? Kay... Mine doesn't occasionally screw up element groups anymore, and prettymuch everything else works except alpha channels are showing up funny when rendered in Max7, but I think it's a Max7 glitch and not my script... basically it's not accepting transparency.

example, the fence is basically several planes with a texture and a transparency map on it but it's shadowing the entire plane rather then the non-transparent areas. also trees and such show no transparency sometimes... Anyone know how to fix this in 3dMax? My 'materials' are accurate as is the regular view, they only screw up when i render stuff.

No bone support, though I've still gotta learn how Max handles that in the first place. On a different topic, I've got vertexes in SuperMarioStrikers.

mechakoopa

a.k.a. the DtTvB
I have absolutely no knowledge about MaxScript, sorry.

But when I use the bmdview2.exe to extract model from Super Mario Sunshine, the shadow looks like that too. Yeah, it's 3ds max bug, so don't worry about it. :)

No bone support: Oh. :(

S

Sasuke3.0

I think it would be best to have atleast a viewer that can display the models apropriately rather than a viewer that shows everything exactly the way it is.

in my opinion, a viewer with slight problems, such as animations and bones, it is worthy of being released. However on the other hand we have perfectionists who try to be impossibly perfect and keep people waiting for months... which isn't really a bad thing.

now I've been waiting several months for atleast a viewer that can view ssbm models without it being messy, some of us probably don't mind transparency, animations, or texture because thats something we can add ourselves.

hopefully this will convince some of the programmers our there to atleast release an early viewer with or without the export function.

also a converter that doesn't make the models messy would also be nice.

I know it takes a a lot of time and patience, so I wish the programmers out there working on a viewer good luck.

psychodan

mechakoopa said:
I have absolutely no knowledge about MaxScript, sorry.

But when I use the bmdview2.exe to extract model from Super Mario Sunshine, the shadow looks like that too. Yeah, it's 3ds max bug, so don't worry about it.

I figured out what the "Bug" is, Change the shadow setting to Raytrace insted of Depth Map and it clears the problem up. I'd like to release a viewer... but I can only import/export, so til someone does that, no one gets it. bwahahaha..

mechakoopa

a.k.a. the DtTvB
"so til someone does that"
does what?

"I can only import/export"
import/export what?

Last edited:

BazzatManBowlin

Bowling Dynamo
psychodan said:
No bone support, though I've still gotta learn how Max handles that in the first place. On a different topic, I've got vertexes in SuperMarioStrikers.

Heh, it's good to know that somebody's looking into Super Mario Strikers. I wouldn't mind taking a look at those models... especially the arenas. Keep up the swell progress, psychodan.

psychodan

mechakoopa said:
"so til someone does that"
does what?
"I can only import/export"
import/export what?

I use a maxscript, so anything from SSBM that I open or look at can be ported to other games. I complained alot earlier in the thread about what people did with thakis' viewer and still feel the same way. when someone makes a viewer that exports a 3d filetype or a functional converter that basically does everything mine does, Then I'll release my MaxScript to compete with whoever else releases something. I'm actually against the idea of the models from SSBM getting whored out everywhere. At the moment, I think I'm the only one with full access to the PL models... at least the only one speaking up. If someone wants to use the DirectX thing or Jahrain's converter and then edit whatever they find into a functional pose, then that's one thing, and odds are good they're not going to present the situation i complained about earlier [Page 3 I think].

BazzatManBowlin said:
Heh, it's good to know that somebody's looking into Super Mario Strikers. I wouldn't mind taking a look at those models... especially the arenas. Keep up the swell progress, psychodan.

When I get internet at my house again, I'm probly gonna stick a topic up here with some info on the Strikers filetypes. The Arenas are REALLY pathetic... As bad and low detail as MarioKartDD... The characters are slightly better, but they're a cross between sunshine and MKDD. No where near smashbros superiority. I've also started looking into DDRMarioMix [and stopped finding out that theres only 2 interesting things so far in it] and Mario Golf, though I'm skipping tennis, baseball, and the cameo games.

mechakoopa

a.k.a. the DtTvB
psychodan said:
I've also started looking into DDRMarioMix [and stopped finding out that theres only 2 interesting things so far in it]
Umm, is its format the same as Mario Party 7 ?

Well, I read and studied from jahrain's code, and now I can get vertices. I have no idea about faces, groups, and especially, textures.
And I think toy files (ty_*) have no bones at all, I think they have only vertices, faces, groups, textures, and some informations in it like name.

Last edited:

BazzatManBowlin

Bowling Dynamo
psychodan said:
When I get internet at my house again, I'm probly gonna stick a topic up here with some info on the Strikers filetypes. The Arenas are REALLY pathetic... As bad and low detail as MarioKartDD... The characters are slightly better, but they're a cross between sunshine and MKDD. No where near smashbros superiority. I've also started looking into DDRMarioMix [and stopped finding out that theres only 2 interesting things so far in it] and Mario Golf, though I'm skipping tennis, baseball, and the cameo games.

Heh, that's good to hear. I look forward to that. Are you considering animation for the Strikers (or any) models? I'm just curious. Heh, Mario Golf would be interesting to look at - I recall those models having a decent polycount (for their time).

mechakoopa

a.k.a. the DtTvB
I think pl_*.dat files are player file.
I think it has many datas, such as animations, sounds, bones, models, all data of it.
I have no ideas about getting the format, because I am not that good with hacking.

Can anyone give me some points about this format of file?

psychodan

BazzatManBowlin said:
Heh, that's good to hear. I look forward to that. Are you considering animation for the Strikers (or any) models? I'm just curious. Heh, Mario Golf would be interesting to look at - I recall those models having a decent polycount (for their time).

Not really... Don't know a thing about making characters in 3dmax, just my friend's game engine. So about that... I haven't dealt with animation yet.. I'm quite novice with 3dMax7 which is what i have at the moment.. havent really touched current age 3d progs, just cad stuff. I was checking out Mario golf specifically for the levels but I'm having issues with it.

Valant Novaligh

Wow, you guys sure have made a lot of progress. Now I've seen everything...a PHP converter =P
Now that I'm around again, I'm going to try to get my own viewer/converter in ship shape again. It's actually beginning to read some faces properly. Joy!

mechakoopa

a.k.a. the DtTvB
I still don't know how to get faces.

The image below was generated using only pure PHP,
and I put things together using ImageReady, as I don't know how to create an animated GIF using PHP.

Note that that image was not 3d! It's orthographic, and I rotate it using this simple equations:
x' = (x * cos(r)) - (z * sin(r)) and z' = (z * sin(r)) + (z * cos(r))
Actually, I didn't understand these equations at all, but it just works.

mrot.gif

Last edited: