What's new

Modded Xbox banned from Live Service

zero0w

Maverick Hunter
It seems like MS got it "done" this time. According to a posting at GotMod, MS is attempting to detect mod chips when users connect, then placing them on a banned list - forever.

Another post with further detail can be found here.

Hmm, it looks like the TCPA and Palladium will be there for real, Xbox Live service is just demonstrating the "possiblity" MS can pull off.

Source : The Register

blizz

interesting concept can be pulled from that link, Microsoft are using the X-Box to test hardware ID's as a copyright system

though you're stupid to use a modded X-Box on X-Box live IMO, it's just asking for trouble

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
You know, I actualy think that application for trusted computing would be good, you would eliminate people who cheat in multiplayer games completely.

Unfortunately trusted computing has way to large of a bad side.

Josep

eyerun4phun
zero0w said:
It seems like MS got it "done" this time. According to a posting at GotMod, MS is attempting to detect mod chips when users connect, then placing them on a banned list - forever.

Another post with further detail can be found here.

Hmm, it looks like the TCPA and Palladium will be there for real, Xbox Live service is just demonstrating the "possiblity" MS can pull off.

Source : The Register

Well, they got a mod chip working for the x-box, you don't think people are trying to find away around this? Could be hard, maybe even impossible, but i bet they will find a work around for it

/me thinks updating the bios;)

and hell, even if they don't, you still get to play your modded x-box NOT online;)

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
/me watches as mod chip makers look for loop holes

/me watches as micro$oft tries to plug those holes
:sleepy:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Re: Re: Modded Xbox banned from Live Service

Josep said:
Well, they got a mod chip working for the x-box, you don't think people are trying to find away around this? Could be hard, maybe even impossible, but i bet they will find a work around for it

/me thinks updating the bios;)

and hell, even if they don't, you still get to play your modded x-box NOT online;)

Well if somebody did find a way around it, I bet you they would keep it to themselves if they wanted it to last. The reason why is because if microsoft finds out what you are doing to circumvent the detection, they will probably send your unit an update that is designed to detect that method of circumvention.

I have to deal with this stuff all the time in another application, its a constant never ending battle between good and evil :devil:

mesman00

What's that...?
Re: Re: Re: Modded Xbox banned from Live Service

AlphaWolf said:
Well if somebody did find a way around it, I bet you they its a constant never ending battle between good and evil :devil:

who are you referring to as good and evil? i don't know if microsoft is generally good, but they certainly not the evil one out of these two groups. they are just trying to protect there products and not get ripped off. can't blame em for that

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Damn, i had just hoped it would go. I hate ms, and i would just be happy if games were ripped-off.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Modded Xbox banned from Live Service

mesman00 said:
they are just trying to protect there products and not get ripped off. can't blame em for that

And who is?

mesman00

What's that...?
well it depends. those w/ modded xbox's aren't "evil", it is those w/ modded xbox's who are playing illegally copied games. I wouldn't call them evil, but i would say they have no right to complain in this situation. just because a company has alot of money, even if they may not be perfectally ethical, it doesn't justfiy ripping them off. in my opinion, microsoft isn't doing anything wrong in this situation, they are just trying to protect themselves.

RatTrap

GODLIKE
honestly.. anyone of us could do well with as litle as we get.. instead of being so greedy as to wanting more and more and more..

i've never ownd a modded anything.. and it's been just fine with me.. even though i live in europe.. and have to wait longer then you guys in the US.. i still see it all to be fair and good..

i guess the greedyness won't go away though.. you can't really blame anyone for wanting more then they have or can afford.. but if you generalise that into every day thinking.. you could call that stealing.. then you could of course come up with a million excuses to why it's not stealing.. but a well..

imo MS is doing the right thing.. but afaik.. they don't stand a chance.. i'm very sure the Xbox will be a great machine for emulation of other lower spec systems.. for a looong time.. but of course.. nothing can beat the PC at the same thing..

RatTrap

GODLIKE
yah i'll agree to that.. just that it'll be a long battle between good and evil just like you said..

problem is i guess.. MS loses money (cost of man hours etc etc).. the comunity doesn't (we do things for free).. so the only loser is MS.. but at the same time.. they kind of win the respect of larger companies..

i bet more and more companies will be in on this technological revolution.. in the end they'll win by sheer force.. but i don't doubt that even in 2010 there'll be a similiar situation than the one that exists today when it comes to piracy.. only it'll be alot more easy to punish "evil"doers then it is today.. with laws that don't really speak for anything eather way.. when you can excuse yourself from almost anything computer related..

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
It's my guess that microsoft will start requiring that new games being sold will ship with a unique "Xbox Live" cdkey. But, for the games already on the market...

/me shakes his head

Unless of course they somehow have the names and addresses of everybody who owns the xbox live package, then they can start passing out Xbox live IDs to each person who owns one, and ban that ID if a modded xbox is found. This would require that a banned user has to go out and spend another $40 for another kit/key.

Josep

eyerun4phun
Re: Re: Re: Modded Xbox banned from Live Service

AlphaWolf said:
Well if somebody did find a way around it, I bet you they would keep it to themselves if they wanted it to last. The reason why is because if microsoft finds out what you are doing to circumvent the detection, they will probably send your unit an update that is designed to detect that method of circumvention.

I have to deal with this stuff all the time in another application, its a constant never ending battle between good and evil :devil:

well, bottom line is, Hacking the x-box won't stop, microsoft trying to stop them won't stop, and there is no way in hell the people cracking it will keep it to themsevles.

i dunno if someone already said it but classic case of robin hood and his merry men. Steal from the evil and rich microsoft, give to the poor and ones that hate MS, and you guessed it, robin hood and his merry men are the hackers that hack the x-box;) Plain and simple, doubt the battle between them will ever end, Kinda sounds like The USA trying to find terrorism? although the cirumstantces are completely different, and no i'm not saying USA is evil. Its freak'n hard to find terrorists for one, and then microsoft trying to find hackers, its damn near impossible;)
NYway!:happy:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Well, there will be three kinds of people here, always are.

There will be those who crack the system and keep their methods to themselves, and maybe hand it to a few people, but it ultimately never makes it to the public, because provided microsoft never knows about how their particular method works, they wont know how to counter it.

There will be those who crack the system every time that microsoft writes a countermeasure, and pass their methods to the public, because microsoft always will get ahold of their hacking methods and know how to write a countermeasure.

Then there will just be those who lurk around waiting for the #2 crowd to release a new public circumvention method and use it every time microsoft comes up with a new countermeasure.

The #2 and #3 crowd will always be fighting the battle with microsoft, the #1 crowd will be the very few, and they will always be winning the battle. Thats just the way these things work :p Most of you who know what I am talking about are familiar with the acronym 'ECM' :happy:

Last edited:

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
AlphaWolf said:
There will be those who crack the system every time that microsoft writes a countermeasure, and pass their methods to the public, because microsoft always will get ahold of their hacking methods and know how to write a countermeasure.

AMEN!

/me Agrees

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Few moments Later...

Thats Right folks !! We have done it.. We could tonight successfully change the XBOX Serial Number and MAC Address to something we wanted and the XBOX LIVE Network Dash picked the changed Serial number and MAC Address up !!!!

We Then successfuly signed on to XBOX LIVE with the NEW serial number and MAC address with the MOD Chip removed.. the XBOX LIVE System was 100% happy with the NEW Serial Number !!!!

While we were at it, With our New Serial and MAC we played a bit of Online UNREAL Championship (And kicked some ass!!) ;)

This is a GREAT step forward to help understand why a 100% stock and a un-modified XBOX with all modifications removed can NOT access XBOX LIVE....

Please beware that this is for informational purposes ONLY you MUST only use XBOX LIVE with an un modified XBOX as stated in the XBOX LIVE agreements.. please also see disclosure at the bottom of this page...

SOURCE : www.xbox-scene.com

Posted at gotmod.com

So there you go, M$ tried to bite, but the end user bites back...

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I tend to slip into the #1 crowd in these things though. The enemy wont attack something if he doesn't know its there. :devil: