What's new

I finally built a new computer...

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Hah, james, I'd've thought from our previous discussions that you'd've noticed I love the current Radeons. =) I've had barely any problems at all with my 9500 Pro, outside of N64 emulation. :flowers:

OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
So should I just ditch my Radeon 9500 and go to a nVidia? If so, what should I get? I can spend around 150-200.

EDIT: I find it funny that I can easily run the Doom III E3 demo on my comp yet I can't play fucking N64 games on it. >.<

Last edited:

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
Tagrineth that wasnt aimed directly at you, sorry if it sounded that way lol. Being a radeon lover, you can understand where i'm coming from;)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
For anything asides n64 emulation, the radeons are a joy to behold, actually their not even that bad with n64 emulation either, just have some minor gripes, grr :p

Don't go from a r9500 to a nvidia card, theres no point, the 9500 is a fantastic card, besides.. all those nvidia users will be jealous when glNintendo64() comes out, and the graphics look way better than any nvidia based plugin, if you ask me.

Last edited:
OP
GogoTheMimic

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Sayargh said:
For anything asides n64 emulation, the radeons are a joy to behold, actually their not even that bad with n64 emulation either, just have some minor gripes, grr :p

Some minor gripes? Shit, I can't even get them to play without freezing up and if I manage to get them to run for more than ten seconds, they look like shite. >.<

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Sayargh said:
all those nvidia users will be jealous when glNintendo64() comes out, and the graphics look way better than any nvidia based plugin, if you ask me.

glNintendo64 works fine on my Nvidia card. Rice's Daedulous plugin also works fine. I like the filtering options in this plugin. ;)

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
should've said when the new one was out, 0.4 will be ATI Radeon based not Nvidia based.

Gogo, I can run most "playable" games with little problems, most issues with jabo's plugin for example i've noticed is in Star Fox, which would seem to me that you have set something up wrong, such as drivers or using the wrong plugins. In any case, what do you expect, all plugins around we're designed for Nvidia cards not ATI ones, if you truly want to play n64 games that much buy an n64.

Last edited:

Clements

Sayargh said:
should've said when the new one was out, 0.4 will be ATI Radeon based not Nvidia based.

The new glNintendo64() works equally well with nVidia cards as Radeons.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Clements said:
The new glNintendo64() works equally well with nVidia cards as Radeons.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking too since no where in Orkin's screenshot post did he mention Nvidia cards getting broken with his plugin. It would be a shame if it was, but we've got other alternatives that are just as good. ;)

8xSFSAA OGL looks so good with N64 emus. :)

Hey Tangineth!! You say that Cat's 3.6 has speeded up FB reads/writes by %500. Could you test it with Petes framebuffer benchmark. Or any other ATi users who would like to benchmark their FB access. Get the benchmark here:
http://home.t-online.de/home/PeteBernert/pete_fbread_benchmark.zip

It's a simple program by resident PSx gpu plugin guru to test and benchmark FB access Writes/reads.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
fivefeet8 said:
8xSFSAA OGL looks so good with N64 emus. :)

ATi's 4x looks better. :flowers: But it's semantics anyway.

Hey Tangineth!! You say that Cat's 3.6 has speeded up FB reads/writes by %500. Could you test it with Petes framebuffer benchmark. Or any other ATi users who would like to benchmark their FB access. Get the benchmark here:
http://home.t-online.de/home/PeteBernert/pete_fbread_benchmark.zip

It's a simple program by resident PSx gpu plugin guru to test and benchmark FB access Writes/reads.

Whoa. Even though I get perfect speed in games with the framebuffer (Yoshi's Story, for example, stays at 50VI/sec, and the PS1 Final Fantasy games stay at full fps during the "swirl" effects), the bench reported about 15Mpix/sec and 50MB/sec for all tests. Hmm.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Tagrineth said:
Whoa. Even though I get perfect speed in games with the framebuffer (Yoshi's Story, for example, stays at 50VI/sec, and the PS1 Final Fantasy games stay at full fps during the "swirl" effects), the bench reported about 15Mpix/sec and 50MB/sec for all tests. Hmm.

The swirl effects in FF games aren't the most stressing of Framebuffer effects(my voodoo5 5500 pci does them at full speed). Play Metal Gear Solid and you will see how stressing FB effects can get. This is the game I test Framebuffer effects with since the game uses heavy FB effects. I also test on some of the Summons in FF9 which uses heavy FB effects as well.

For comparison from the benchmark, My geforcefx 5900u gets about 40Mpix/sec and 100-150MB/sec. Quite a lot more I'd say. If ATi really did improve Framebuffer access by %500, then I guess you would've gotten 3mpix/sec and 10mb/sec with older drivers?

Those scores above were with no FSAA. With 8xSFSAA I get about 35Mpix/sec and 100-140MB/sec. :cheers:

Last edited:

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Tagrineth said:
My Kyro II ran FFIX's pre-battle swirl at about 5 seconds per frame.

Hehe. Kyro IIs' are known to have problems with Psx and N64 emulators in general. A few people had Kyro II's at the ngemu forums with lots of problems. The solution: They got a new video card. :blush:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
GogoTheMimic said:
I tried to benchmark my card with 3D Mark 03 but it keeps freezing up. >.<

This a complete system lock up? black screen, or blue screen. thats known as a Blue Screen of death, I used to have problems like that with my old motherboard, are you experiencing any problems with PC games in general, like random lock ups? because i have seen people with ati cards like yours with that 3d mark 03 problem and it crashes in their games as well.

I don't get these issues anymore since i bought a nice SIS Based Motherboard, man i hate VIA but if i go on about my hatred for the VIA chipset i'll be here all night plus thats off topic ;)

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
lol. now that is funny. SIS are totally diabolical.Sis based motherboard have all sorts of problems, especially the ecs k7s5a.

One minute they work, the next they dont.......

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Well so far mine hasn't had anywhere near the problems of my VIA Based board, in fact, it has had absolutely none at all.

james.miller

HELL YES. IT'S ME!
neither did mine unitl about 2 months ago. it is just under 2 years old, and now it cant keep the time/doesnt always pass post/randomly locks up.

That is just the tip of the iceburg.

Last edited: