What's new

Winamp 5 RC8

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
smegforbrain said:
Because Winamp 2.x is stable, Winamp 3 blows, and I don't even see a need for Winamp 5. :)
Well, the whole point is that Winamp5 has the stability and low resources usage of Winamp2, with the skinning capabilities of Winamp3. I've never used Winamp3 because it was a resource hog, but Winamp5 is both stylish and fast.

smegforbrain

In general, when I look at all the plugins made for Winamp3 and stuff, I see the program becoming something it wasn't mean to be.

I mean, yeah, we all don't like WMP, but that doesn't mean you need to turn another program *into* WMP. :)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I just had to do a reformat, and I figured I would give winamp 5 a try. You'd actually notice no difference between it and 2.91 if you tell it to use the classic skin during the install process. In fact, I told it to not install any modern skins. It loads just as fast, and all of my plugins (including the best MP3 decoding engine ever; brought to winamp via the MAD plugin) work fine.

Winamp 5 works.

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
flow`` said:
mad's outdated like crap though :[

such a turn off :p

Well, the MAD decoding engine was developed for linux, and then ported to win32 in the form of the winamp plugin. There are still new versions of it being made for linux, but I am not sure if these updates are for the engine itself. Nonetheless, it remains the best mp3 decoding you can possibly get for win32.

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
OMFG, AlphaWolf acually likes something that isn't third party! (Example, Foobar.) Its the Devil's work I tell ya!!!