What's new

The "How did you get into Emulation" thread

Quvack

1997. Found a copy of Nesticle w/ Zelda on a high school computer, been hooked ever since :)

Helped out with numerous sites: Emu64, EmuHelp, R*mseeker, etc.

Helped with testing, etc of a number of emulators & projects. Apollo, Daedalus, UltraHLE 2064, Project64, EmuCheats, etc..

Recently not so much apart from a few rom hacking/documenting projects and some minor work on ultrahle while bored :) def need to get back into it all tho!

Glad to see the old site still alive and kicking :)

Azimer

Emulator Developer
I got into emulation after finding emulators and rom images coming through the warez community. I played a NES emulator that was horrible but it was just enough to sort of play Super Mario Bros. I don't recall the emulator or when but I know from that point, I was constantly following emulation news. Project Unreality was absolutely my favorite project.

Toasty

Sony battery
Back in 2000 or 2001 (can't remember exactly when) I happened upon a SNES emulator (can't remember which one) and realized I could replay Super Mario RPG on my computer. I also discovered the Final Fantasy series for the first time shortly afterwards when I found the old Final Fantasy II (US) ROM. Have been fascinated by emulation ever since.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Back in 2000 or 2001 (can't remember exactly when) I happened upon a SNES emulator (can't remember which one) and realized I could replay Super Mario RPG on my computer. I also discovered the Final Fantasy series for the first time shortly afterwards when I found the old Final Fantasy II (US) ROM. Have been fascinated by emulation ever since.
Ahh.. Super Mario RPG was never released over here in the days before Virtual Console, emulation was really the only way to play, American cartridges wouldn't fit in our PAL consoles, lame (plus I didn't even know it existed till several years after its release). I got it for my Wii, great stuff and that is STILL emulation so, mwhaha n stuff.

I think a lot of us find emulation fascinating mainly because people were able to pick apart machines and get code meant for them to run on something else, which is mighty impressive.

Last edited:

smcd

~2000 for me, in high school someone shared the wealth, so to speak, about nes and snes emulation. nesticle & dos-mode zsnes. yay!

edit: almost forgot about 'em, but genecyst and rew. emulators were also circulating in the same class hehe

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
It's funny to see, that some of you got into emulation nearly the same way as me.
More than 11 years ago, a friend of mine burned some CDs with a lot of data and there also was a NES emulator (rocknes IIRC), I've bought myself a controller and got into the emulation world.
At the beginning I just hung around at the news sites.
I've started to teach myself a lot, but with every new emulator release my interest grow, so I joined nearly every big community some years later, so I could be part of the bug fixing and contribution process.
I've registered at emutalk because of the beta tester search for 1964 afaik. ;)
That's nearly my story. Since then I beta tested, contributed and moderated a lot in the whole emulation community. Lately it's fallen asleep, because of the scholastics, but I still come to help and test. :)

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Oh jeez, it's hard to remember now. Been at least 10 years ago...

When I first got into emulation, I had a P133 and a dial-up modem. That must have been in 97-99. I think it was the news about Bleem! and UltraHLE, the lawsuits against them, and how they defended themselves with the high-level emulation argument. I remember how the requirement for UltraHLE was to have a 3dfx Voodoo graphics card, which were the best graphics cards at the time, but I didn't have one :(. I was determined enough to try it at my school's computer lab, but they failed there too.

However, I did find out that SNES emulators would run on my computer at a pretty decent 15-30 fps! (The worst was Mario RPG at 10 fps or less at times.) I remember all the different emulators I tried, some super fast but without sound (eSnes?), sometimes booting into DOS (yes, MS-DOS on a floppy disk) for a tiny speed gain in zSNES, having to load my own DOS mouse and sound drivers... Ah, memories.

Then I got a better computer and came here to talk about N64 for an awesome few years. :D

I don't know why Emutalk died exactly, but it was around the same time I graduated, became mobile and lost access to my desktop/emulators. I got a DS instead and started modding that. If this forum went in that direction, I would have stayed! :p

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
well it's been so long now i forgot where i started.
All that i remember is the first time i saw Mario's head (it's am me ah Marrrio) popup in Corn64 H, i was so excited i almost thought it was to good to be true.

speaking of corn i wonder how it runs now a days hmm....

Oh my god yes, corn! I nearly forgot about that. Wasn't Mario 64 one of the only games it could play run? That was great, haha.

UltraHLE remains one of my favourites for being the earliest emulator to actually be playable, and not just runnable, on low-end hardware.

WhiteX

1996 - I was literally haunted by megaman songs of old and games i had no way to play, a frieand of mine told me about an emulator so i got a NESticle and never looked back

EDIT: All hail Bloodlust Software!

Last edited:

Keith

The Show Must Go On!
Administrator
Back in 2000 .. found out about bleem and then got into PSX emulation. Was a tester for ePSXe and news poster for PSXEmu (NGEmu now) .. then went off on my own to make my own emulation site which eventually merged with Emulation64 .. short and sweet version. :D

It was a long time ago for me. I don't really remember how it happen exactly, but ever since I just though it was so wonderful to be able to play all my classic on the computer using my PS2 controler. :freak:

Xtreme2damax

I heard about emulators by reading online, I didn't think it was true at the time, to emulate a console on the PC. I started out with PS1 emulation and then started using other emulators, I didn't have a very good system when I first got into emulation so my choices were limited.

Predator82

In 1999 a friend told about play games from the snes on the pc & I was very interested
He burned zsnes & some good games on a cd & I´ve loved it

In 1998 or 99 I was looking to play Tecmo Super Bowl and was wondering if there was any way that it could be done on the PC, then I stumbled into Nesticle and found out that it was indeed possible. That was a good day and the start of something good.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Back in 2002, I googled and find this forums, I was needing help for configuring Project64