What's new

The "How did you get into Emulation" thread

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
So how did you guys first get into Emulation?

For me :

I was googling one day for a laugh with the keywords "N64 on PC" and stumbled along this place.

I still remember my excitement when I realized that it actually was possible to re-live my favorite N64 games on the PC. From there I learned how Emulators and programs were actually made and started programming myself.

I have since gone on to improve the Snes9x port for the PSP (named Snes9x Euphoria), worked a bit on Daedalus X64 (PSP) and worked on numerous other projects for Windows, Linux, Mac, PSP, iPhone and more. I just wish I looked up how programs were made when I was younger, but that can't be helped now I guess! :)

How about you?

Last edited:

EmuFan

Emulation Fanatic
I believe it was back in something between 99/2000 that i stumbled across emulation. My then future stepsister (For like 6 months, lol) has a brother who is pretty good with computers, and he taught his little sister how to download emulators, and play games on her dads computer, which was where i lived.. So when i by accident saw my brother, or someone else play Super Mario World on the computer, i became curious, to say the least.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Was more than 10 years ago, I had a Pentium 90 machine and a friend brought over a couple of floppy disks which had genecyst and some games on it

To be honest I was just amazed with the concept, mainly because at the time I kept seeing ads for PCs with Megadrive ports in them and for some reason thought that was really impressive.

PCs always had more of an appeal to me than consoles did, the merging of technology seemed to be too awesome to believe.

That's pretty much how exactly.

Sometimes I get a similar feeling when I run Wii games on Dolphin, impressed that developers can produce emulation that good while the console is still active, its not perfect by any means but damn impressive.

Allnatural

I had actually heard of emulators before I had heard the term "emulator."
I remember seeing Bleem! on the shelves at Best Buy. I remember hearing of a program that would allow you to play N64 games on the PC (must have been UltraHLE). Back then I thought, how do you plug the cartridge into your computer?

My first actual experince with an emulator happened about ten years ago, after a discussion at another messageboard about our favorite gaming memories. Someone had mentioned Rygar on the NES, a game I must have played through at least a dozen times when I was a kid. I figured someone out there probably had a site dedicated to the game. Sure enough, there was a shrine at rpgclassics (still there! that brings back memories) and the author mentioned something about "roms" and "emulators." Downloaded NESten from Zophar's Domain (can't believe that site is still around) and a rom from who knows where...and there you go.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Let's see....

It was early 1997 when I stumbled upon an article detailing how you could play console games on PC using programs called "emulators" that used game data extracted from the video game carts. Driven by the prospect of playing Super Mario Bros. 2 without owning an actual NES, I hunted down NESticle.

Man, "true" ROM sites were really rare back then, so I had to go through all sorts of sites using Altavista(!) to get games.

Last edited:

Cyberman

I found SNES9x while looking around and had FF7 and a PS1 so I checked out SNES9x with some images I had found on the internet namely FF6 and FF5. It was impressed it ran FULL speed on my linux box (16megs 150mhz and a 4meg video card). As I said it ran FAST under X. Later I found PSEMUpro circa 1998? Tested FF7 on it (slow I might point out) and medieval as well I think that was close to when FF8 came out. Anyhow I was concerned what would happen if my PS1 died and I couldn't do anything with my large investment in games. So I started poking around a LOT.

Cyb

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
heh well..... to cut a long story short... My wife decided that project64 back in 1999/2000 did not have enough cheat support or PAL Game support when we stumbled on it this fantastic emulation forum named emutalk and it opened our eyes to the world of emulation. i was then prompted by said wife (Pixi) to join irc and give the developers a piece of her mind lol and the rest i guess is history.

I love emutalk and the entire Emulation64 community that houses so many great Emulation authors and such fantastic members!! and to think its emutalk's 12th birthday this year :O

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
well it's been so long now i forgot where i started.
All that i remember is the first time i saw Mario's head (it's am me ah Marrrio) popup in Corn64 H, i was so excited i almost thought it was to good to be true.

speaking of corn i wonder how it runs now a days hmm....

OP
Danny

Danny

Programmer | Moderator
well it's been so long now i forgot where i started.
All that i remember is the first time i saw Mario's head (it's am me ah Marrrio) popup in Corn64 H, i was so excited i almost thought it was to good to be true.

speaking of corn i wonder how it runs now a days hmm....

I shared that same excitement albeit on Project 64 or was it 1964.. Can't fully remember :)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
It is we just forgot, anyway did you see that Emu the other day, its feathers were mighty impressive!

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Hi everyone! I was doing a Google search and was linked to this thread .. what the heck is this 'Emulation' you speak of?

Cyberman

Shouldn't that be Groozle lurch? Or goozle slurch?

Emu's are actually quite dosil birds just don't mess with them they won't mess with you. Unlike the Ostrich which, is ugly AND annoying. The Emu is just mostly ugly.

Cyb

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I hate to be a kill joy but can we go back on topic here XD

Next person should post about their introduction to emulation, though admittedly any talk is good talk for us nowadays

Last edited: