What's new

the best graphics card

urbanman2004

Head Honcho
i'm needing to know what would be the best graphics card to use to play GTA: Sandreas for the PC at full speed. any good advice is appreciated

GCFreak

Any GeForce FX or better or Radeon 9500 or better is good for that game. Hey, shouldn't this be in TechTalk?

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
urbanman2004 said:
i'm needing to know what would be the best graphics card to use to play GTA: Sandreas for the PC at full speed. any good advice is appreciated

Probably Ati Radeon X1800XT or Nvidia Geforce 7800GTX

CKemu

I could tell you to get two GeForce 7800s in SLI, that'd play plenty, but otherwise thats useless, whats your budget? Without budget info, I could tell you to get a GeForce FX5950u, it played San andreas just fine, but again pointless advice if you can't afford it.

The trick is to set a budget, and people can advise you as to what the most powerfull card you can get for that amount of money. Noting of course you need a decent amount of medium-fast RAM and a CPU thats not ancient russian IMB pc spec ;p

My Rig is about 18 months old:

AMD64 3200+ @ 2.23GHz
1024MB DDR RAM
GeForce FX5950u
winXP / winXP64

Runs games like UT2004, Doom3, San Andreas, Guild Wars just fine. Noting that Quake 4 is a hunk of crap and people that play it need lining up against a wall and shooting :p

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
CKemu said:
I could tell you to get two GeForce 7800s in SLI, that'd play plenty, but otherwise thats useless, whats your budget? Without budget info, I could tell you to get a GeForce FX5950u, it played San andreas just fine, but again pointless advice if you can't afford it.

The trick is to set a budget, and people can advise you as to what the most powerfull card you can get for that amount of money. Noting of course you need a decent amount of medium-fast RAM and a CPU thats not ancient russian IMB pc spec ;p

My Rig is about 18 months old:

AMD64 3200+ @ 2.23GHz
1024MB DDR RAM
GeForce FX5950u
winXP / winXP64

Runs games like UT2004, Doom3, San Andreas, Guild Wars just fine. Noting that Quake 4 is a hunk of crap and people that play it need lining up against a wall and shooting :p

The Geforce FX 5xxx series is crap, it's nvidias biggest misstake.

What kind of card do you need? AGP or PCI Express?

I can suggest:
Ati X800GTO (if it's pci-e)
Ati X800GT (if it's pci-e)

Nvidia 6800nu (if it's agp)
Nvidia 6600GT (if it's pci-e, agp)

These cards are a little cheaper than 7800GTX and X1800XT ^^

Hawq

The fx5900 wasnt too bad (good punch for the price), I still use one now actually & its fine for most things, though Doom 3 makes it overheat a little (partly down to the crap case I have though) a 6600gt would be nice & a hell of a lot better though & I doubt anyone could reccomend the fx 5xxx series anymore with the 6600gt comin down in price so much

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
GCFreak said:
ATM the X1800XT isnt even out lol.

No, The GeForce4 MX was.

Yeah the MX, but a Geforce ti4200 can be compared with a FX 5600Ultra and a ti4600 would probably kick a 5600Ultra (a ti4800 can be compared with 5800ultra). If you compare Nvidia's FX 5xxx series with ati's 9xxx series... i must say that nvidia lost that generations war.

Nope the X1800XT is not released yet but it would be soon.

Last edited:

GCFreak

GeForce FX is still good, I have a 5600 and have no problems. I tested a 5200 and that worked good also. I don't see why everyone says that the GeForce FX is so bad.

rcgamer

the old guy
Hawq said:
The fx5900 wasnt too bad (good punch for the price), I still use one now actually & its fine for most things, though Doom 3 makes it overheat a little (partly down to the crap case I have though) a 6600gt would be nice & a hell of a lot better though & I doubt anyone could reccomend the fx 5xxx series anymore with the 6600gt comin down in price so much

agreed , I have the card (the 6600gt)and san andreas plays like a dream with it, and every other new game i have tried.

Last edited:

Clements

GCFreak said:
GeForce FX is still good, I have a 5600 and have no problems. I tested a 5200 and that worked good also. I don't see why everyone says that the GeForce FX is so bad.

DX9 shader performance on any FX cards was terrible. Games like FarCry in particular are unplayable due to low framerates even at standard resolutions. It's also why FX cards do terrible in 3DMark05 (sub 1600 for even FX 5950)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Either way, I would not recommend anything above 6600 GT or maybe 6800 GT for the geforce, as it is enough to play any of today's games with reasonable speed.