What's new

Terrible Problem

Dogman5

----------
I have encountered a horrible problem with PJ64.

I would run PJ64 and it would be fine. Ive would have used it for over a year now - but around 2 months ago, every time I wanted to use PJ64 I would get an XP Error message. So I would just re-install PJ64 every time and it would work. But now, even after reinstalling it, it will now just not work at all, and give me the error message.

Any suggestions? I have deleted the files, installed it, reinstalled it, restarted the PC several times, downloaded it again, read the manual, etc and finally decided to ask here. Can anyone PLEASE help me out here?

Also, I would like to avoid System Restore, since I have added alot of documents and programs to my computer in the last month or so. And even so, would like to find the root of this problem without having to re-install every time.

And please keep in mind with responses that I am not a PC techy, yet I am not an idiot :saint:

Thanks guys! :flowers:

Last edited:

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
Did you try deleting the PJ64 registry along with the files themselves then reinstalling PJ64?

Clements

Hmm.. I get this too, and its annoying. We must have done something similar to our PJ64 in the past month to cause the problem (never happened before then). A system restore does solve the problem, but the problem just comes back, so I got fed up, and everytime I restart my computer I have to reinstall PJ64 to use it. Eventually I know that it simply won't work even after a reinstall, and I've progressed too far for a system restore, so I'll switch to 1964 until the problem is fixed.

Here is when I posted this problem:

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13398

Last edited:

RadeonUser

Hmm... Interesting... I sort of stopped using PJ64 after 1.5 (constant beta testing made me loathe the N64...) There'd be more posts if this was a problem with PJ64 or a combination of XP and PJ64... So it must be something else?

Would you guys please post your complete specs if you can? Perhaps we can find some common ground to work with.

/me goes back under the rock he has been hiding under and waits :blush:

Same Here

I too have had this same problem on two diffrent machines. PJ64 works fine for a while but after some time when i try to load it back up it gave me a windows xp error. I formated my pc and havent had the problem since.

OP
Dogman5

Dogman5

----------
hmm, and today I went to use it and it worked. After reinstalling it of course..

But this is still an issue that needs to be addressed. I didn't realize this happened to many other people, I thought I was the only one :blush:

I can gauruntee that tomorow or so, PJ64 will just stop working again or something..

RadeonUser

Come on guys :) problems dont just fix themselves now, do they? We need to know whats going on and the conditions it happens in (believe me, just telling us something is wrong and posting SOME of your computer's specs isn't always enough)

We need someone who can reproduce this to post some additional info (or something | someone that could decipher what Clements got :blush: )

I have been playing a few games now to see if this happens to me, but so far its been running great and without a single flaw.

Intel Celeron 1.3 ghz @ 1.45ghz
"Generic" PC 133 Cas3 Ram
JN440BX motherboard running on a 112 mhz FSB
ATI Radeon 9500 pro
Sound Blaster Live!
D-link 530TX+ 10/100 NIC
SIIG IDE PCI 133 RAID Controller Card
Windows XP with SP1
DirectX 9.0 (cant get 9.0a for some reason)
Everything else seems pretty pointless :satisfied

latest drivers for all listed above

I've modified the running services somewhat, so I am *not* running at default XP settings.

I have PJ64 using all sorts of combinations of plug-ins trying to create this problem with no avail.

-Edit-
I have the latest XP upgrades from WindowsUpdate except for DirectX 9.0a

Last edited:

ra5555

N64 Newbie
Have you guys used windowsupdate recently? I heard that one of the security patch is causing a lot of problems and creating a lot of controversy, I believe its the 811493 update. Try uninstall it in add/remove programs and see if it fixes anything.

EDIT: this update only applies to windows XP

ra5555

N64 Newbie
RadeonUser said:
-Edit-
I have the latest XP upgrades from WindowsUpdate except for DirectX 9.0a [/B]

Why don't you try uninstalling (SP2) Q811493 update in add/remove programs and see if it helps?

RadeonUser

ra5555 said:
Why don't you try uninstalling (SP2) Q811493 update in add/remove programs and see if it helps?

Its actually related to some of the services I have disabled :) Until microsoft releases the redistributable version, I am high and dry. Why dont i simply re-enable the services I disabled? I am lazy :p

Clements

I have been updating my computer, so this could be the problem. I'll try it when I'm at home to see if the update is the problem.

Hey what do ya know. I reinstalled windows like i said and only did some minor windows updates and havent had the problem since. Im gussing it was one of the updates from windows like was said above. Gees first Direct X 9 giving me problems running certain games and now i have to be carefull when using windows updates?:cry:

OP
Dogman5

Dogman5

----------
But the thing is, it is going to come back..

This is just like Herpes..

Its always going to be there, and you may not know its going to happen, but it will come up later in time, and then go away, and then come back again :)

Not that I know from experiance or anything :doh:

I would really like to know if anyone knows the root of this Herpes bug :D

Clements

I uninstalled all the SP2 updates and I still get the problem. The problem also affects Mupen in the same way. What's going on? :(

Clements

Found a workaround, not ideal, but it works. Here goes: Never close Project 64. Once its reinstalled, never close it, and when it comes to turning your computer off, don't do Shut Down, do Hibernate instead, and that way PJ64 is right there, open next time you turn on your computer.