What's new

starting emulation projects... slowly

gasolinewaltz

Hello all. Very new here, although I admit I've been lurking for quite some time.

I've been thinking about how to approach emulation for quite some time. I pretty much exclusively program in C++, trying not to abuse OO concepts etc..

Anyway, a little while back I was watching a video on algorithms for a class I was taking and in the video the prof talks about the "4241 microprocessor," which preforms an extremely simple (perhaps the simplest!) set of operations. So, I set out to program how I thought it should be implemented, and I came up with this:

4241.h
4241.cpp
program.cpp

I know its probably not the most optimized, but I feel like it's missing something to be technically an "emulator"? It works fine, I did a couple of tests with sample progs etc... I tried finding specs on the chip but I'm starting to think that it was made up for the class in the video.

I'm moving on to a slightly bigger project, but I want to know if my approach is at least decent before I start going further.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Hi gasolinewaltz,

Looks like you have the right idea... Have you looked into handling other more advanced CPU features? Interrupts, exceptions, memory access, timing, etc? I don't know much about this CPU, but is it used in any complete computer systems that you could emulate? (with video, IO, available binaries/roms to work with, etc) If you're limited in this regard, I would move on to trying to emulate a complete system. It seems as though you have enough knowledge to get off to a good start, and at least are more well off than I was when I jumped into it. Good luck.

OP
G

gasolinewaltz

Thanks Shiz

Yeah, I'm slowly making my way through the big emulation pdf that I'm sure most here have read. Like I said, I'm taking my time... I don't really have much of it at the moment. Right now I'm working on emulating the sid 6581 for the commodore, I have this grand idea of making an 8-bit synthesizer around it. I guess I really should just dive right into the chip 8 though, I am itching to get cracking at a complete system.