What's new

Soul Calibur 2 The best Fighting game ever

matthew

Ok point is that my personal opinion is that no fighting game can touch Soul Calibur 2. The way it looks , moves and plays is second to none, so my humble opinion would be that i would rate it 9 out of ten because it does near everything right.
He turned around and come out with a point that its only tweaks to Soul Calibur 1 and compared to Soul Blade one and Soul Calibur 1 it doesn't continue its tradition of being Revolutionary . I pointed out to him fair statement to say it was a disappointment in that respect because everyone was expecting something substantially groundbreaking. However also note that it seems they did actually tweak the game in the right areas and its also the one i'd rather be playing regardless of how minute the changes to gameplay mechanics were. He continued by saying however its not revolutionary. I pointed out that maybe it wasn't their intention to become revolutionary this time around. For example Soul Blade to Soul Calibur carry two different names for a reason also Soul Calibur 2 was names Soul Calibur 2 which made it a direct sequel to Soul Calibur 1. Whereas Soul Calibur 1 wasn't a direct sequel to Soul Blade infact in my opinion it was completely different because the only real thing the two games Soul Calibur 1 and Soul Blade had in common was the fact that they were weapons based fighters and they reused the charachters, the gameplay mechanics were completely different and still are. Hence the minor tweakage in Soul Calibur 2 makes it a direct sequel. Also i would say its fair to call it a direct sequel to Soul Calibur than Soul Blade simply because they not only share the name but also share gameplay mechanics.
He pointed out that why would you not rate Tekken 5 above 8 out of Ten. I replied
well because it doesn't really change the genre and its samey compared to the others. He said then same should apply to Soul Calibur 2 then. So my final point i made was yes but remember Soul Calibur 2 is the best fighting game so how could i rate it the same as Tekken 5. Soul Calibur 2 is a game that one could rate next to perfect in terms of Gameplay mechanics regardless of extras. No doubt that Tekken 5 is a great game however since the original Soul Calibur raised the standard of the Fighting Genre in one foul swoop and Soul Calibur 2 is better so none of the Tekken series will ever compete. Hence after playing Soul Calibur 2 extensively and regarding it as the best fighting game i didn't think to compare it to the poorer Edge master mode in Soul Calibur 2 compared to Soul Blade because Soul Blade is old news and those are extras which don't affect gameplay because which version of the extras is better is just a matter of opinion. Besides if you chose one random person to play all three games in the series Soul Calibur 2 would definitely stand at the top. He also tried to speak out that we are chatting hypothetically however my main point on that subject would have been that extras don't make a game because every game seems to have a standard set of extras these days

OP
M

matthew

Allnatural said:
I know some KoF fanboys that would love to have an equally senseless conversation with you.

Thanks but although i have played KOF i probably haven't played it to the depth that these Kof fanboys have

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
With all due respect, both of the Soul Caliburs (while being fun games) are button mashers.

JinXD

As are all fighting games....... until you start learning all the combos. I'd rate SC2 as being the best fighting game I've played, especially since you can whoop ass with link (yeah xbox/ps2 versions suck) :D

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
DuDe said:
With all due respect, both of the Soul Caliburs (while being fun games) are button mashers.
Not absolutely true... Most new players can finish the game by just pressing all the buttons and the Pad but on harder difficulty levels this is quite pointless (unless if you choose Maxi as your character). On harder difficulty levels and VS battles synchronization and knowledge of the opponent's moves is the key to guard impact...

PS: Guard impact=Certain victory.

OP
M

matthew

DuDe said:

I'd have to disagree there its very deep. Although your average player can button mash it won't have much of an effect against a seasoned player like myself. Try playing on harder difficulty levels or against better players than yourself. You will quickly learn that theres more than just one layer to this fighting game. The way you can parry the moves and move around opponents adds something that even The super deep Virtua Fighter series can't

blizz

DuDe said:

Certain characters can be played with skill but certainly others are button mashers.

It's strange but I have this love hate relationship with it for that, it means almost anyone can play it, but some unskilled dipstick can slaughter you just by button mashing.

The days when fighters needed real skill are long gone now :(

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
You really need to start using paragraphs with spaces in between, your first main post is more difficult to read and all I have to do is look at it to be put off reading it.

On another topic, I've never played Soul Calibur 2 but i've heard they were good, best fighting game i've ever played is Tekken 3. Just because of the massive amount of characters and moves that can be done, specially the big Panda and little crocodile thing, fun to see such a puny thing beat the crap out of other chars.

Last edited:

Googol

Give me back my floppy face!
^^ I assume you meant the Soul Calibur 3, as in all three Soul Calibur/Blade games, not the upcoming title "Soul Calibur 3" for PS2.

Soul Calibur 2 is an excellent fighting game. It's not a button masher; it's only one if you want it to be.

I kind of like real button mashers though, it's more fun than having to remember that certain combo or parrying at that exact moment. And the good thing about Soul Calibur 2 is that you can pick up any old guy off the street and he could play it and have fun, that is if you weren't being a jerk and using unblockable combos and such on a novice.
My character is Link. If no console-exclusive chars are allowed, then it is probably Nightmare or Yunsung. To keep the thread moving, what are your characters in Soul Calibur 2?

Last edited:
OP
M

matthew

I'm a Mitsurugi user myself and he has a mid range which makes it interesting against characters with long reach . Parring comes into play and of course the real 3d movement

Its only equals in my opinion are soul calibur 1 and tekken tag all else is pants button mashing.

Unless you count Killer Instinct which is all but unresponsive unless you know a 42 hit button combo. And if you've learn them all you prolly play video games too much! :D
oh yeah! and i OWN ALL with Kilik and hwang

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
Soul Calibur 2 is an awesome game. For a 3D fighter it is probably the most fun to play... I've had 100+ match battles on 2 player with that game, good times. Soul Calibur 1 was great too, although I think that Nightmare was overpowered.

Any fighting game can be considered a 'button smasher', but when you actually learn the moves for each character and implement them in strategies then it becomes a fighting game.

Fighting games are great because they remain timeless... I still bust out the Street Fighter 2 on occasion. Tekken 3 really shows its age though, I think its a piece of crap as far as fighting games go (sloooooooow). A good game to check out if your into fighting games is Gundam Wing Endless Duel for the SNES. Its got simple mechanics, but when both you and your opponent know what their doing the battles are intense. Its got a pretty big following considering it was only released in Japan. Theres usually a "GW:ED" game happening on zbattle almost everyday when I used to play it.

revl8er

That Damn Good
I would say Soul Calibur 2 is a great fighter, but nowhere near being the best of all time. I'd like for you to think back about 10 years to a game on the SNES called Killer Instinct. Now that is by far the best fighting game of all time.

I would rate Soul Calibur 2 as probably the 4th best fighting game of all time, under Killer Instinct, Tekken Tag Tournament, and Super Street Fighter 2.

OP
M

matthew

I would say Soul Calibur 2 is a great fighter, but nowhere near being the best of all time. I'd like for you to think back about 10 years to a game on the SNES called Killer Instinct. Now that is by far the best fighting game of all time.

I would rate Soul Calibur 2 as probably the 4th best fighting game of all time, under Killer Instinct, Tekken Tag Tournament, and Super Street Fighter 2.

If you want to place those games in the list I need to do my list :p
  1. Soul Calibur 2
  2. Super Street Fighter 2
  3. Tekken Tag Tournament
I was a good player at killer instinct but its lack of depth is apparent these days