What's new

So I cancelled my WoW account...

blizz

*takes a deep breath and invokes the spirit of Shatner.

Khan!!!!

although a mate sent me the trailer for Mass Effect on the 360... damm that might pull me off WoW..... nah

Last edited:

flowrent

What is going on in this Wow game anyway that keeps people so addicted ?
Don't laugh ,i'm really a noob when it comes to pc games .

BlueFalcon7

flowrent said:
Like I said earlier, all the patches that blizzard releases, I suspect that they contain subliminal messages that somehow keep you to want to play WoW. Dont know how they work, but thats the conclusion that I have come to.

RatTrap

GODLIKE
Hej azi.. sup.. I myself am again under piles and piles of work in the world of work buried in a grave of work dugg by myself while i was working on something :p..

anyways... last summer i had like 4 months free so i tried GuildWars and WOW.. liked GuildWars more.. mostly cause of the fact that you are limited... i prefer limits in games than no limits because then it usually takes more time to just "setup" for a quest than to actually finish the quest.. in GW you need to go on a quest and you just buy some potions and go (there's not much to setup in that game)..

But that's my opinion anyway.... I quit WOW after 2 months and the last month i hardly played.. i had a lvl 40 something shaman darkelf or whatever she was... GuildWars i put away after 3 months or so.. í hit lvl 20 there (i think that's the max in GW)..

anyways nice to see your still around :p... this is my first post here in months... but who knows.. maybe i'll make a website again here hehe... l8r azi... /be good :p

Shpongled

News Junkie
sethmcdoogle said:
I finally broke down and bought "The Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind" and I have to say, the gameplay is very open ended and time passes very quickly. I can imagine WoW is very much the same, but I'd never go for it because I don't like the idea of having to buy the game *and* pay to play. Anyhow, welcome back to the world of living, thinking people. :)

I bought that one a few months ago too, and I thought it was "alright." Then I downloaded some MODs (huge MOD community!!!) and my interest in the game grew exponentially. Totally updated textures, faces, NPC models, new game mechanics, more realistic NPC schedules...

If you find any nice MODs let me know! :) My current favorites are:

Better Bodies
Better Heads
Better Clothes
Herbalism Redux
Slof's Better Beasts
Potion Sorter
Galsiah's Character Developement MOD (gets rid of the lame multiplier at level up)
Potion Icons
Scroll Icons

Anyway, I could go on for a while, PM me if you're interested in what each do and where to get them. :bouncy:

Shpongled

News Junkie
I also was addicted to WoW on and off for a year and a half. :(

The leveling was pretty fun and the PvP servers always kept life interesting... I never knew when someone was just gonna pop out of nowhere and slaughter me. Luckily as a Shadow Priest I had the easy win most the time. :D

The game really lost me once I started going to Molten Core and doing the "end-game thing." Grinding Battlegrounds became a chore, and the politics of trying to get into end-game raids, DKP, and that whole thing just totally killed the game for me. :(

My life has improved, honestly, since I stopped playing... It truely is a timesink and I love being back to offline games. With offline games I don't need to be on all the time for raids and I can play casually without dealing with guild politics.

The only problem is the character customization system was so amazing in WoW that now whatever game I play I end up comparing everything to it! >_<

Shpongled

News Junkie
flowrent said:

They actually hire psychologists to try and figure out the best ways to keep gamers addicted. It's true.

You gotta spend hours and days and months killing particular mobs in order to "gain reputation" with certain factions. Like, if you want the Furbolg bears to like you, you gotta kill literally thousands of their enemy before you become a "hero" with the Furbolg.

You gotta spend days and months killing people in PvP battlegrounds in order to gain higher ranks for your faction (faction = Horde or Alliance). The higher your rank, you eventually get access to cool-looking weapons and mounts that make you that much better at PvP.

... Don't get me started with Final Fantasy Online, it's even worse than WoW in terms of timesinks!

Sorry for the 3 posts, I'm done. :)

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Hey rattums. It's good to hear from you again. Thank you all for the words of encouragement. My account officially expires August 11th and I've spent the last couple weeks quitting my guild and saying goodbye to friends. It's really a cold and uneasy feeling. The addiction to WoW is the addiction to the people you play with. There are few things in life that encourage people to gather around and socialize with strangers. I think that is what I am addicted to. :) That... and calling someone a n00b after I CL crit their ass for 1400 followed by a 1200 ES. :)

Cyberman

Azimer said:
Hey rattums. It's good to hear from you again. Thank you all for the words of encouragement. My account officially expires August 11th and I've spent the last couple weeks quitting my guild and saying goodbye to friends. It's really a cold and uneasy feeling. The addiction to WoW is the addiction to the people you play with. There are few things in life that encourage people to gather around and socialize with strangers. I think that is what I am addicted to. :)
Ahh nothing wrong with enjoying people. You should get out more ;) LOL
Azimer said:
Well The with drawl will be severe I'm sure.

That... and calling someone a n00b after I CL crit their ass for 1400 followed by a 1200 ES. :)
AZ I am not going to even GUESS what that means. LOL
PS
Are your experiences anything like this Az?

So what are you up to (Other than probably 6' or more).

Last edited:

WhiteX

the addiction to WoW is the addiction to the people you play with. There are few things in life that encourage people to gather around and socialize with strangers. I think that is what I am addicted to.

You can find that kind of socialization in any bar and pub...and you can even get some too! :p

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Thanks for that Cyberman. :) Bars and Pubs?! You've got to be joking! The last time I went into a bar without a group of friends, I ended up hooking up with my ex and lived life unhappily for a long time. It's what really caused me to stop emulation in the first place. :p You don't want me drinking!!!

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
As homer simpson said: Alcohol is the cause of, and solution to, all of lifes problems.

zilmar

Emulator Developer
at least with VOIP these days it is a lot easier to have conversations with other people online. It has been great to talk to gent and jabo online.

What emulation project would you like to work on again, still audio ?

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
zilmar said:
at least with VOIP these days it is a lot easier to have conversations with other people online. It has been great to talk to gent and jabo online.

What emulation project would you like to work on again, still audio ?

I'm going to tinker with GC graphics a little bit. If you can think of anything else that would capture my attention, I'd be happy to consider it. I need to keep my thinker ticking. :)

zilmar

Emulator Developer
not sure, I am still paying attention to the n64. Maybe someday I will start another emu project. Just at the moment to much todo with my spare time to even look at how other things are going to see what would be intersting to play with.

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
I hear you. I currently have a limited social schedule since leaving the area I lived in for six years. The free time I had was spent playing games to keep me from watching too much TV. Not really a better option. I'll let you know if I find anything interesting :)

apexad

Congrats on giving up WoW. right now my vice is still the EVE: Online MMO, but my subscription ends when august does, and I am pretty sure that I am not going to pay for another month, but who knows what could happen in a month.