What's new

So I cancelled my WoW account...

Azimer

Emulator Developer
So after logging nearly 120 days /played on my World of Warcraft account, I decided to hang it up. With the 1.11 patch, my Shaman class outlook as gone from bad to worse. Within recent weeks, we've been told there will be no futher updates until after the expansion. I took a hard honest look at things and drew a lot of parallels between MMORPG Raiding and Emulation coding....

- In both you spend countless hours doing the same thing for little progress
- In both you get a small "happy" each time you win an uber epic (or a new game works)
- In both you draw the attention of people who admire your hard work
- In both the quest is never complete

Now there is one SHARP contrast...

- Emulation coding is casual friendly. I can pick it up and put it down around my schedule not 39 others.

I have chosen to help out some people in the emulation community. I may or may not return to full capacity on my projects as I have forgotten a lot of the progress I was making. Consider this a "Welcome back to the fold" message post... I will need a lot of support to overcome my MMO addiction. Thanks.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
You're forgetting that theres very few who can follow your footsteps in emulation coding, in an MMO people can achieve the same things with a lot of time as you did.

Welcome back.

revl8er

That Damn Good
Well I never quite liked the idea of only being able to make lvl 60 in the game, or at least that's what I was told. It just wasn't worth it, cause I believe that MMORPGs should allow you to lvl constantly and they could keep adding stronger monsters to give u challenge, but thats just my thought on it.

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
Thanks for the welcome Scott. As far as WoW goes... it's a horrible timesink. I like games where I can get to the end and dance around in victory! I can promise you this... I did NOT spend 120 24hour days on any of my projects. If I had... they'd be amazing. It really makes a guy feel guilty and the worst part about it... once my account is canceled, I still have nothing to show for all my hard work unlike emulation.

BlueFalcon7

OK, Recovering from a WoW addiction, is like quitting smoking. My theory, is that the patches that Blizzard releases are subliminal messages that make you want to keep playing. And thats why it lags your graphics card so much.

Anyways, I admire your work in emulation much more than the fact that you got a level 60 in WoW. I know many people who have level 60's and in person at that.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Jaz's avatar makes me want to buy a Xbox 360 or two :)

Welcome back Azimer. I hope you find something that fills that void. I have many friends who are lost in WoW. I currently am lost in emulation on my PSP. Before that it was FPS online shooters (many years there). things come and go.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
Good to hear mate. Can't wait to see your work now that you're back in the emu scene. :)

smcd

I finally broke down and bought "The Elder Scrolls III : Morrowind" and I have to say, the gameplay is very open ended and time passes very quickly. I can imagine WoW is very much the same, but I'd never go for it because I don't like the idea of having to buy the game *and* pay to play. Anyhow, welcome back to the world of living, thinking people. :)

OP
Azimer

Azimer

Emulator Developer
ShizZy said:
Good to hear mate. Can't wait to see your work now that you're back in the emu scene. :)

lol. I blame you and gent. You better start feeding me cigarettes when my WoW cravings become uncontrollable. :angry:

zilmar

Emulator Developer
hey welcome back azimer, long time since you got me back in to the fold with banjo tooie .. but it always more enjoyable actually having something at the end of the day then playing games ... tho playing games is still fun

Quvack

Welcome back Azi :p good luck with whatever you decide to persue, and with the WoW cravings :p do they have a patch for WoW cravings? o_O

Cyberman

Azimer said:
lol. I blame you and gent. You better start feeding me cigarettes when my WoW cravings become uncontrollable. :angry:
Need to get you into a 12 step program! For WOW ;)
The whole industry is on crack I think. They all talk about bigger revenue sources. They are chanting for more money instead of making better games and using inovation. Now they make 'cool looking game' but in reality not better and oft worse (Blood Rayne is a lot better than Blood Rayne 2 for example).
So you are doing yourself and the world a favor in more than just working on emulation. Besides how will working on a a character for hours improve your mental acuity any like pondering a difficulty in a program?

Anyhow good to see ya 'bout. I've commited myself to a something akin to an emulator ... In about 2 months I might post some news about it. Currently it's a mostly mum project. I've learned more about IS9660 disk images than I ever WANTED to let me put it this way. LOL

Cyb

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Azimer said:
Emulation coding is casual friendly. I can pick it up and put it down around my schedule not 39 others.
Hehe, so how far did you get? Lots of MC/BWL? :teehee:

I agree, WoW is a huge productivity killer. I'm still managing somehow, but am cutting back my hours. It's still fun, if only there were no monthly cost, it would be nice to log on every few weeks and chat, after quitting.

Welcome back to the real w- emulator world. :)

Welcome back Azimer. It's great that you are coming back to the emulation scene. Similiar to WoW, I lost a friend and cousin to RuneScape, plus an addicted MySpace cousin. It's pretty sad actually, wish I could stop them. :(
Well, like I said, welcome back. :)