What's new

Smash Bros Melee Model Viewer Status

mdtauk

Zelda Hi-Res Texturer
sarah, if you are unwilling to post an app, perhaps if you could post textures and models (in a 3ds max compatible format like OBJ) and post them online for people to download. I work on the N64 Re-texture projects and It would be nice to have these models for reference and just for fun...

psychodan

MD, technically that'd be about as illegal as rom sharing and against Emutalk's rules. The textures can easily be gotten as one of the emulators has a texture dump function. At the moment, Its a pain in the butt to play through 2fps games to dump all the textures. Sarahs also mentioned that hers is incomplete.

Mine isn't fully functional and it's a bit behind Sarahs, even when I DO mess with exported files, they're glitchy and usually cause MAX and some other 3d Apps to crash though Maya is able to import them. Some are just giant clumps of mesh. Regardless, None of them currently have any type of rigged structure or even a T-Stance to work by, they're just what they look like in game! Its like ripping finalfantasy7 models the way they start in thier battle stance.

I don't personally plan to release any sort of app what-so-ever, but I'm happy to throw up some screenshots. And Sarah already stated that she'd let Jahra1n post first since he started the topic.

Chill out already people.. geez

Valant Novaligh

geesh, this thread sure has become alive again. Well, I'm still trying to figure out the polygon strips, and it's driving me crazy x.x
Personally, I wonder what would happen if these models did get out and about...

Last edited:

SarahHarp

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but I'll work on whichever viewer my mind jumps to at any particular time.
At first, it was Metroid. But then the birth of SSBM's viewer had come, and now I happily enjoy simultaneously working on both. I don't have a particular mindset to work on only this viewer, or that one. It again, is whichever one I feel like working on, when I pull out one to work on it.

It's nearing the end of the school year for me yay, but that also means finals and ending projects have arised. So there may be a small hault to any immidate work on either of the viewers o.o sorry. You must realize that I have not only these viewers, but other projects I'm working on also. I yet again, jump to whichever I feel like working on. One of the newer projects that I've been excited to work on is the development of my own 3D game engine : ) (going to be Metroid Prime based. I'm porting my 2D version to 3D)

Anyway yeah, that's mainly all I had to update with.

Last edited:

psychodan

Valant Novaligh said:
Personally, I wonder what would happen if these models did get out and about...
I've bolded the important parts.

I'll drop my theory on this, as well as the reason I wouldn't personally release ANYTHING on the subject. Look at Thakis' BMD/BTi viewer. Alot of people downloaded it, Some of them got confused because they didn't see anything, others downloaded Sunshine, windwaker, or doubleDash and looked at the models for short or insane periods of time.

Some people made use of the export function and exported lots of them to thier harddrive to tweak or play with or add skeletons to.

Some of THESE people [we're at the third tree branch here] showed up on other forums [mfgg for instance] and posted pictures claiming a few things. "Oh look at this, neat huh?", "look what I made all by myself", or "I found out how to rip the models myself!". To which, Many flamewars were then created regarding both the origin and aquisition of the model. Then people who've never heard of thakis or emutalk somehow find out that that Hax0polis place has dumped all the mario kart models into one big zip file but that all the textures are screwed up cause they used the first version.

...so theres also a crapload of people who have the glitchy-textured models too and also no clue what to do with them. So of course, some of them make posts with the 3 previous things.

On the topic of game modding, I added a whole lot of content to a game, re-did many of the textures, and played it with several people. SmashBros Melee was higher res, so I got the models from it and tested them.. sure enough, the higher polygon counts and well-made textures made the game look sygnificantly better.

To the best of my knowledge, I'm the only one who's actually modded a game with stuff from Thakis' viewer, and I didnt just use those 3 games, I also borrowed from luigi's Mansion and Pikmin2 where necessary.

For a game like SmashBros Melee, the prettier graphics would no doubt present more ambition to see them ported to other games simply because the higher level of detail and the more apealing style. However, It's iffy as to weither anyone but me or Sarahharp will actually be adding them to a game.

Considering the UT2004 modding community having added everything from Halflife, Tribes, Halo, and a few other FPS games, I'm willing to bet that if the right people got thier hands on the Metroid Prime stuff that they'd know what to do with it.

Smash Bros is unique in the fact that you can view so many models with it ingame without an enhancer. If you want another view of the worlds or any other part of the game, go pick up an action reply [they actually work, unlike old gamesharks] for your gamecube, you can use a free-roam camera technique with the debug mode! you can even see levels that werent normally in the game and play as extra characters or spawn pokemon at will, or see the 3 unused trophies.

So what happens...? It basically comes down to the type of person that gets ahold of the technology. a few will do good, a lot will do nothing, and others will do Bad.

I am going to port them to any game i enjoy, have already attempted this, and at this point, am going to work on a few animated mini-movies much like the sprite movies out there only 3d.

sindii

true

I see where your coming from with this, i have actually been using the mario kart/sunshine models in my 3d platformer engine and should be giving credit to thakis for the ripper in any demo i release, which i will do in the future.

Valant Novaligh

I agree fully as well, and that's why I have no intention of distributing/sharing a model viewer which may be abused.
My plans, actually, are to interpret the SSBM character trophies, and then get a 3d print of em =3. Now that, in my opinion, would be something to drool over: a 3 inch metal figurine of Zelda or Mario or something.

SarahHarp

...Could be even later than that.
I'm moving across the country during the summer, therefore my main priority at that time will be the big move.
So by the time I get all settled down and back to work on my normal computer activites, it could be fall o.o
However, my next semester doesnt start until after december, so I have 5-ish months to do whatever.
But you never know, some random event might happen before that time, and I could release the viewers sooner o.o

BlueFalcon7

Im not asking for the source code, but when you release your viewers, do you plan to give the source? You never know who you might benifit by releasing the source.

And also, are you assuming that jahar!an is gone, and his work on the viewer is discontinued, and that you will release the SSBM viewer?

SarahHarp

I'm not sure about the source thing. Maybe only when I'm finished all the viewers and such and won't have any more use for it, then yeah.

About the SSBM viewer.. < .< well Jahrain -was- supposed to release it first... and I said that'd I'd wait for him. So since he has .. died (actually is just being mute) then, perhaps I'll consider releasing it sooner.

Techokami

Yes, I'm the goon that used thakis' bmdview2 to rip models from Mario Kart Double Dash and Super Mario Sunshine. In the original topic on MFGG's forums, I did say that I used thakis' bmdview2 program. I only did this so people who wanted to make, say, a 3D Mario fangame, and did not have the time nor the skill to make all the player, object, and enemy models from scratch, to have resources available for them to use.

Now, if you guys seriously had a problem with this (and from the looks of things, you guys do), why the hell didn't you contact me? I have contact information publically available on MFGG and many other places. We could have arranged something to settle this, you know. But instead, you guys chose to talk behind my back. And now, you guys won't be making an exporter for the model formats from SSBM and Metroid Prime, something I was hoping to use for getting models to possibly work on a project.

In the meantime, I put up pages to prevent people from going into the directory on my hosting and freely downloading the models.

psychodan

Techokami said:
Yes, I'm the goon that used thakis' bmdview2 to rip models from Mario Kart Double Dash and Super Mario Sunshine.
Not meaning to offend you personally since I didnt name anyone specific, but the post in question that I was refering to which linked the hax0polis files on mfgg didn't mention or credit thakis in any way, though replies did. I was knocking the "bad" side of what generally gets involved. Moving forward, I downloaded the zip off hax0polis to check it out and see it was the same thing, however there was no text files inside mentioning thakis either. Not that he created the models in the first place.

I have however seen other posts linking specific zip or rar files of single models, mario for instance from MarioSunshine with crappy textures, or just pictures from people claiming to have modeled him themselves.

what I didnt mention was that I've actually seen a couple posts linking to those and even this specific thread. Though just now i had someone link me to a thread that has Sarahharps images posted claiming to be thier own from a project they are making.

If you credited thakis, I'm not refering to you. i'm all for promoting fangames, as I've said, I've involved myself in a few with my efforts.

castle3sa.png

I've also decided to post some pics randomly if i'm gonna bother posting here at all. This is by the way an example of outcomes in the process i use to extract the models from SSBM, some however look almost perfect, and the rest don't compare to this even.

Last edited:

GaryCXJk

While looking trough te files, I couldn't help but notice there were some more trophy files than there were trophies. 352 in total actually, in contrast to the 292 in game. That is, if the trophy files are Ty*.dat.