What's new

Pope John Paul II

CKemu

A great man....we are talking about the same man that said condoms ae un-holy, even with the AIDs crisis in Africa. The man that considers abortion evil. The man that is willing to turn a blind eye to pedophile priests in order to save the face of the church. Sad to see anyone suffer, and I am sure it's a loss to many religious people, but lets not forget a few things ;)

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
CKemu said:
A great man....we are talking about the same man that said condoms ae un-holy, even with the AIDs crisis in Africa. The man that considers abortion evil. The man that is willing to turn a blind eye to pedophile priests in order to save the face of the church. Sad to see anyone suffer, and I am sure it's a loss to many religious people, but lets not forget a few things ;)

Nobody's perfect, not even the Pope. But still he did do great things for the world. Compared to his predecessors, who mostly were only concerned with the church, he did a lot to help nations come to peace.

2fast4u

he spoke out agaisnt war, imperialism and uncontrolled capitalism but at the same time he still had the same dogmatic stances on birth-control, womens rights and gays that the catholic church has been clinging to for hundreds of years. with that in mind i gotta say my opinion about this pope is not entirely positive or negative. so yeah, with all the praising that is going on, now lets not forget a few things about his work and the reactionary institution he headed.

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Glad to see everyone keeping the reality of the Pope's work in such a balanced light here. So much of it was contradictory, but just because someone does a lot of good work doesn't mean the other stuff should be brushed aside. Anti-contraceptive, anti-abortion, anti-gay... not a particularly open-minded or tolerant person all things considered. Perhaps the change will be a positive one.

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
Although I disagree with the Catholic church on many points in both belief and practice, it's sad to see him go. He did do many good things.

And I must point out that being anti-abortion and anti-gay aren't reasons to dislike the man. Catholocism is based in Christianity (although in many areas, loosely), do you expect the man to dump all morality for the sake of open-mindedness and tolerance?

There is such a thing as right and wrong, and there are some things that should not be tolerated...

2fast4u

you would think he would have been able to open his mind to new ideas instead of sticking to catholicisms reactionary views. more reasons to dislike him btw: he reinstated the good old inquisition, just under a different name and on top of that he also brought back the index of books that are forbidden to read for catholics. even if you have a more conservative stance on morality, i hardly think such repressive actions are supported by anyone.

Orkin

d1R3c764 & g1|\|64 m4|<3R
2fast4u said:
he reinstated the good old inquisition, just under a different name and on top of that he also brought back the index of books that are forbidden to read for catholics. even if you have a more conservative stance on morality, i hardly think such repressive actions are supported by anyone.

Two examples of why I dislike the catholic church as a whole. If you look through their history, catholicism has largely been used only to repress and control the populace through religion. The actions of the catholic church throughout history are prime examples for why the first amendment was added to our constitution.

Last edited:

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
The guy was one of the factors that demolished the communist control of Eastern Europe, which makes him a cool dude in my book.
Conservative? Well shit, the guy was a Catholic priest, if he wasn't conservative he wouldn't be the friggin' Pope. RIP Karol Wojtyla.

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Orkin said:
Two examples of why I dislike the catholic church as a whole. If you look through their history, catholicism has largely been used only to repress and control the populace through religion. The actions of the catholic church throughout history are prime examples for why the first amendment was added to our constitution.
If being anti-gay or anti-abortion or anti-women priests aren't examples of repression or control (in the sense of that they are used to purport fear of `punishment for sin`), I don't know what are. In a lot of ways yes, the Pope was obviously a good man. I wouldn't say I disliked him, and while I respect his views are the product of a certain book (or at least one interpretation of it), I don't agree with them as such. I find it hypocritial that he can effectively call for all religions and people to come together and at least tolerate each other, while condemning those `guilty` of those supposed sins at the same time. Taking away people's right to choose and to be who they are as he did isn't something one individual should be allowed to control.

$00.02
(Could it be... an actual emutalk debate? Surely not!) ;)

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
I honestly don't give two shits about how it sounds to you, because being a Catholic priest immediately makes him a conservative. Repetitive whining about whether he was anti-gay or anti-birth control or anti-whatever is useless, because the Bible clearly deems those as a sin, and the Pope going against what the Bible says ain't gonna happen. Believe it or not, there are cool people out there who aren't heart bleeding pinkos, and JP2 was apparently one of those.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
DuDe said:
because the Bible clearly deems those as a sin

You read the Bible lately? There is nothing in it about contreception (or at least not in so many words). The commandment says "Thou shalt not kill" and most believe that destroying an unfertilized egg is not killing, nor is using a condom. Therefore, nothing in the bible says you may not use birth control or condoms. The bible doesn't even mention abortion, again "Thou shalt not kill", the idea is that an unborn baby is alive, but this isn't entirely clear so therefore, the Bible clearly deems nothing of the sort.

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
I'm also fairly sure "Thou Shalt Not Be A Woman Priest" isn't in there either. Then of course "Thou Shalt Not Be Gay" wasn't seen as important enough to be one of the 10 Commandments... though it has been a while and they may have been updated in the last 2,000+ years I guess what with all the other editing that has gone on. Wonder what else just got cut from the list.

smcd

There are passages which hint (or state, depends on who's reading or talking) about homosexuality, leviticus 18:22 (King James Version): "Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind: it is abomination". and in genesis 19, the story of Lot with the angelic visitors. I'm not saying that this is by any means a definitive answer, just a couple places where it could be argued (there are arguments that go either way, yes homosexuality is wrong, and no, it isn't).

Those places aside, looking at it from a natural point of view, it doesn't make a lot of sense IMO. The primary goal of a species is to survive, and since it's not possible in the human species to do so homosexually, then yeah :p

You have the right to disagree.