OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
haha, ok, that was quick though:)
and for you non-believers:) :
PJ64-X V0.06
============

First ever working N64 emulation with sound support. Based on Project 64 Sources.

Supported
=========

- Graphics
- Sound
- 4 Controllers with full analog support
- Mempaks
- Savestates
- 8, 12 and some 16Meg Roms like Banjo Kazooie.
- expermimental 32Meg support.

Notes
=====

- Roms in /ROMS
- 'X' toggle between filebrowser and rombrowser.
- 'B' for Credits page.
- Back + Black = Save State
- Back + White = Load State
- Left Thumb + Right Thumb to quit current rom.
- 32Meg roms should be launched with the 32M Optimized versions.
(*Most 32Meg+ roms will lock, this is still experimental)
- Source Code has been released.

Generally speaking, most things will work fine with Rice's Plugin. But ROMS like
Mario Kart 64, Banjo Kazooie and Starfox 64 work much better with the Daedalus 0.08
plugin. Be sure to experiment with this.

Bugs
====

- Savestates are broken on Daedalus 0.08 Plugin version.
- Sound is choppy with some roms.
- Misc Other Graphics Issues. Some effect playability/others not.
- Some roms have ZBuffer issues. Some effect playability/others not.
- Roms that require large recompiler buffer can run slow/stutter/crash.
- Larger ROMS wont load due to memory issues.

Notes on the Source
===================

To compile an xbe with Rice's plugin make sure you enable all the files
in /OldVideo and disable all the files in /OldVideo. Compile away.

To compile an xbe with daedalus plugin make sure you enable all the files
in /Video and disable all the files in /Video. Compile away.

No other support for the source will be provided by Xbins.

Notes on the RDB
================

If your not sure what your doing, ignore this part.

A new XBOX specific entry has been included called 'NormalCompileBufferSize'
This will define the memory size for the Recompiler Buffer. The default size
is 8 Megs. It is possible to add your own line in the RDB and set the Recompiler
Buffer per rom.

If you want to define a buffer size for a rom add the following line to the RDB
entry:

NormalCompileBufferSize=<size in bytes>

Credits & Thanks
================
Jabo
Azimer
Zilmar
Rice
StrmnNrmn
CyRUS64
Iriez
XPORT
#Xbins

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Something tells me that this port of the emulator wont see much revision beyond its initial release.

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
Since it's open source I beleive it will be updated... even if the original porter doesn't update it...

OP
Josep

Josep

eyerun4phun
given that it is open source, and little insentive that is setup in 3 different stages (which is fake in my opinion, just a way to get money off of people from a port they already knew they could do...) And not to mention the guy that ported the Playstation emu has already made 2 revisions since the initial release. So by popular demand, and money it'll continue to be updated...

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Josep said:
So by popular demand, and money it'll continue to be updated...

No, see, money created this release. The original porter is probably burned out and probably wont touch it again unless offered more money. You are probably going to see maybe a few updates at most to this one, whereas a dedicated porter will eventualy supercede this one (which is already close to happening btw), and it will be the one to actualy "make it".

marioshroom

Quake2Max Player
alpha....

please again read the contest rules of 3 different stages! it is for it maybe past at least two, but it is not all 3 yet! so money is to be offered, more for further along!

also is it open source and many people have the xbox.

please see that xbox media player is the most of downloading on sourceforge.

and this is for mod xbox people, so most people will also of course want the great n64 games to work of course many that also fit on a one CD!

so skepticism is the way you have, which is a good way to go much, but not for this one i bet!

shroomario

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
marioshroom said:
please again read the contest rules of 3 different stages! it is for it maybe past at least two, but it is not all 3 yet! so money is to be offered, more for further along!

Well, the site says "contest over", but even if that were the case...

also is it open source and many people have the xbox.

please see that xbox media player is the most of downloading on sourceforge.

Where does this emulator have the name "xbox media player" written on it?

and this is for mod xbox people, so most people will also of course want the great n64 games to work of course many that also fit on a one CD!

Who is this most you speak of? And of them, who that is capable is actualy motivated to continue this? If everybody wanted this that bad before, why did it take money to finaly motivate somebody to do it?

You will probably see a worthwhile n64 emulator for xbox eventualy, but I doubt that this particular one will live up to what everybody is expecting.

Last edited:

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Josep said:
To compile an xbe with Rice's plugin make sure you enable all the files
in /OldVideo and disable all the files in /OldVideo. Compile away.

To compile an xbe with daedalus plugin make sure you enable all the files
in /Video and disable all the files in /Video. Compile away.

Is it just me or is something wrong here?

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
Nope, you read that right. It's an ancient Rice's plugin, not the current Daedalus improved plugin. Did Rice develop the standard 1964 OpenGL plugin?

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
EddyB43 said:
Nope, you read that right. It's an ancient Rice's plugin, not the current Daedalus improved plugin. Did Rice develop the standard 1964 OpenGL plugin?

No...it's that he's saying to "disable the files in /oldvideo" and "enable the files in /oldvideo" without doing anything in between. It doesn't make sense. He does the same thing in the next paragraph...is there something i'm missing?

I wonder why they used an ancient rice plugin?

EDIT: ARgghh I keep forgetting things. Wasn't there a SERIOUS issue that an XboX emu can't be made because there is no current way to compile software for it without the license-only SDK?

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
nephalim said:
ARgghh I keep forgetting things. Wasn't there a SERIOUS issue that an XboX emu can't be made because there is no current way to compile software for it without the license-only SDK?

That's right...

EddyB43

British Old Gamer
Ah, then you should just swap around the second directory reference in each sentence to the other one. Not that it matters, you can't compile it unless you have the Microsoft XDK legally. And unless you work for a games developer for XBox, that's not going to happen :D

I expect they used an older Rice's plugin because the new ones need configuration - I don't think PJ64X offers any way to change the graphics plugin configuration.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
They probably used an older plugin because it had less features and therefore required less memory, as memory is a huge issue here.

I think that its pretty sad that the xbox scene doesn't have a legal SDK yet...instead of getting one though, people want to spend their money on an emulator that isn't even legal to use. We have some good homebrewn shit for xbox, but man, the general userbase consists of morons.

apexad

nephalim said:
Wasn't there a SERIOUS issue that an XboX emu can't be made because there is no current way to compile software for it without the license-only SDK? [/B]

There is something called OpenXDK developed by caustik.
check here

It is in the very basic stages. However, several demos, and even 2 emulators have been ported to the format, but at the moment it lacks input among other things, so noone is really using it.

However, the future for OpenXDK is bright, can't say why I know this, or wht is to happen with it, nevertheless, I just ask you to trust me that it will progress soon.

Finally, about the emulator. I have very strong reason to believe that it will progress quite a bit furhter. Sure it may not be updated until it is perfect (is anything), but it will get more then a few updates. Remember, the author started before the contest was going on, and if anything, the contest rushed him, but that is all.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
apexad said:

However, the future for OpenXDK is bright, can't say why I know this, or wht is to happen with it, nevertheless, I just ask you to trust me that it will progress soon.

I would like to believe that, but the problem is there isn't even an ounce of information available about the GPU, which is what is needed for a proper XDK. Not even xbox linux has any support for accelerated video.

marioshroom

Quake2Max Player
alpha.

i see from many posts you are of smart.

some smart people have the skeptical too much maybe?

all things are hackable, so you will always see progress especially of the xbox, which is of big potential for many things besides stupid xbox games. yes, halo is ok, but many of games for xbox are the most stupid!

you should more hopeful be!

shroomario