What's new

Overrated games

Clements

GogoTheMimic said:
The first game that comes to mind is Earthbound. Bleh, I loathe that game. It's like a five year old made it! ><

I loved that game! Most amusing Snes game ever. Secret of Mana on the other hand, I hated. Dire combat system, poor menus caused me to put this down almost from the beginning. Illusion of Time by Enix kills it dead.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Illusions of time? Haha. That's basically illusions of gaia, which was crap imo. Secret of mana (som2 too) rocked indeed.

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Doomulation said:
Illusions of time? Haha. That's basically illusions of gaia, which was crap imo. Secret of mana (som2 too) rocked indeed.

I happened to enjoy IoG despite the fact that I got stuck at Ankor Wat and quit playing it. :p

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
pandamoan said:
not quake 2. but maybe quake 3. :) quake 1 was the whole begining of it all, so as our fps "Adam", it's hardly overrated.

Uh... actually, um... Quake was definitely not an FPS "Adam". DOOM deserves that title more, and it wasn't the first either. Hell, even Wolfenstein 3D isn't really the first FPS game.

And Duke Nukem 3D had fully 3D architecture and look up/down before Quake.

godzilla525

Clements said:
Overrated game? Turok 2. In all the magazines I read when I was a young budding gamer, this game was put on the almost the same level as the legendary Goldeneye 007. I liked Turok 1 a lot so I bought the thing, (and expansion pack) only to find it absolute crud!

The levels were too large and it was too difficult, not enough save points... I tried using the cheats but even then it was tough to figure out where to go. The short but sweet missions of G007 and PD are much more to my liking.

I'd have to agree. I bought Turok 2 and the RDRAM expansion module having high expectations after playing the first one. I particularly like large levels, but having to pass the same levels twice to pick up everything got kind of tedious. It gets a lot worse when the game locks up before the next save point can be reached... and I can't skip the cutscenes! :doh:

I also think they tried too hard coming up with a story. The game also got pretty choppy during battles and the control lag is unbearable.

I can think of a lot of games that are overrated, but I'll limit my input to ones I've actually played.

Quake 2 & 3...burning my eyes with too much brown.
Unreal II... game too short and ending sucked. not enough enemies. inability to skip cutscenes painful.