What's new

Overrated games

s|rens

till the end of time
Just wondering what games you people think have been overrated.

I just played Halo for pc and i reckon it sucks.

This comment might offend sum people...so i'll just have to wait and see! :D

blizz

ooooh I like this idea

FFVI
FFIX
FFT (ok it's good but not that good, play Vandal Hearts god dammit!)
Super Mario World
Sonic 3
all the Rare games except Golden Eye
the GTA games (have an unrestricted sense of mayhem until you get bored)
Devil May Cry
Virtua Fighter Series
Super Metroid (never liked it)
any Castlevania (ditto)
any Tekken game
any Tomb Raider game
the phanstasy star games outside of PSO,
Black and White

Macca

all ff games
cs

im not really a huge game player, it would be easier for me to list the games i like :p

Davemc

Dave
Halo.
I hated it from the very moment I got it with my XBOX. I couldn't, and still can't, see what all the fuss is about, unless you play with more than 3 players.
Even then, I'd take Timesplitters2 over it any day.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
by overrated, we list the games that got good ratings and stuff yet we personally do not like?

flow``

flow``
gamespy just had an article of the most overrated games..

i just finished playing through half life a few days ago from start to finish 1600x1200x32 in opengl

for a game that old it looked pretty good, but i still think its very overrated

halo.. very overrated as well.

bf42 is also overrated a lot. i can't stand that engine

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Naturally, the game isn't intended for single player. Hell, Quake 3's and UT's single player are shithouse, and yet those are still some of the best online games ever.
Anyway, every game is overrated in some way, there isn't really a game that the entire gaming community agrees about it beeing good.

2fast4u

i see overrated games more in terms of "huge fuzz about it before release and turned out not to be so revolutionary in the end", not games you personally dislike.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I don't know what most of you are talking about with half life...IMO that is the best single player game to date.

The only game I think is truely overrated is quake3.

OP
s|rens

s|rens

till the end of time
2fast4u said:
i see overrated games more in terms of "huge fuzz about it before release and turned out not to be so revolutionary in the end", not games you personally dislike.

That's a pretty good description for an an overrated game...

But i think it also comes down to personal opinion if you like it or not... because this influences if you think its hot or not.

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
flow`` said:
i just finished playing through half life a few days ago from start to finish 1600x1200x32 in opengl

for a game that old it looked pretty good, but i still think its very overrated

so you JUST finished a game that was released 5 years ago and call it overrated. Are you telling me that in order for a game not to be overrated, it must stand the test of time?

Blizz: FF6 overrated? that coming from a man with a shitty looking cloud (im aware cloud is from FF7) as avatar? (I liked all your other avatars MUCH better...they were all chicks :p)

edit: damn...you guys rate games too harshly. Castlevanias are great (the ones that I played), Super Metroid is great, Half-Life is great. In my mind all these games deserved their credit.

edit2: by 'all these games' i mean the ones that i listed, not all the ones you guys listed.

Last edited:

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
2fast4u said:

that is overhyped, not overrated. Overrated is Will Wright recieving an award for Sims Online and sheepishly apologizing for the shittiness of the game.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
blizz said:
ooooh I like this idea

FFVI
FFIX
FFT (ok it's good but not that good, play Vandal Hearts god dammit!)
Super Mario World
Sonic 3
all the Rare games except Golden Eye
the GTA games (have an unrestricted sense of mayhem until you get bored)
Devil May Cry
Virtua Fighter Series
Super Metroid (never liked it)
any Castlevania (ditto)
any Tekken game
any Tomb Raider game
the phanstasy star games outside of PSO,
Black and White

You're insane.

How can you say with a straight face that SMW, Sonic 3, SUPER METROID, and the entire CV serie- oh, wait... you probably just don't like platformers much. Heh.

jollyrancher

I think some of the newer RTS games are hugely overrated like Warcraft 3, Age of Mythology and Rise of Nations. I still think Warcraft 2, Starcraft and Age of Empires 2: Conquerors are better games.

flow``

flow``
ya it's kinda overrated.. i can't say i saw much exciting about it. walking around to hit a switch, kill a few bad guys, hit another switch,

that was about the entire game
it did have a pretty nice plot that it followed unlike most current fps games