What's new

Nintendo DS Lite

Jaz

Ex-Mod
I got my copy of Edge in the post this morning and they ran a feature on the new smaller DS, the Nintendo DS Lite.

I have to be fair, it looks a lot smarter than the original.

nintendods-lite-pure-white1.jpg

The original DS (as good as it was) always seemed a bit tacky for my liking. It certainly didn't have that edge of quality about it, but the Lite version looks stylish as hell!

nintendods-lite-pure-white6.jpg

I think I'm definatley going to pick one of these up, my original DS was getting a little tatty anyway.

nintendods-lite-pure-white8.jpg

Already before being confirmed by Nintendo of Japan, the new Nintendo DS Lite has been a hot topic for hardcore gamers. After several internet storms already, here comes one more. In the last 24 hours, tons of new material and information has surfaced about the DS Lite, from all directions. The FCC regulation body in the USA has publicized its report, real-life photographs have popped up, while the two additional colored models have been unveiled.

nintendods-lite-pure-white2.jpg

Awesome.

Due for release on the 2nd March, Lik Sang has them advertised for $169 or £97. :D

SWAT_Marc

Ind. Design Student
I like it, I hope it to be more confortable than the original as well (at first it was very very unconfortable for me - I only have played Mario Kart DS).

[Off Topic]Hey, Jaz, did you get your Mario Kart DS?

The tournament was a disaster, only three of us applied (and I've never met them online). Well, actually it never "was" because it never began :(

Blacklord

Banned
I'd go for the psp any day! I think ds is not as good and performent as nintendo wanted it to be. On the other hand a psp can play vids, mp3s, and runs a lot more programs and has a lot more jacks. the only cool thing about ds is the touch screen. Big shit! it's what it can do that counts!

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Blacklord, each to their own.

I've had a DS and a PSP since launch and I would take the DS over the PSP any day. In fact, I'm thinking of putting my PSP on eBay.

Blacklord

Banned
I don't see why youd do that :O ! I mean how can a console with only 265 colors be better than a console with 5 million colors? I know that each their own but are the ds games so cool that you'd trade it in for a psp? I guess i'm kinda stumped couse all my friends which first bought ds and psp said that psp is sooooo much cooler. But its your choice i can't butt in. Do what you think is best.

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
Blacklord said:
I don't see why youd do that :O ! I mean how can a console with only 265 colors be better than a console with 5 million colors?
.. Er, in the software front? The PSP is severely lacking on any hits as of yet, and only just now the (Impressive.) Irregular Hunter X has released. Although the year looks bright, it doesn't have anything satisfifying yet.

I guess i'm kinda stumped couse all my friends which first bought ds and psp said that psp is sooooo much cooler.
It depends on what you like in the two. Personally, I've found far more hours of gameplay out of my DS, as the GBA compatibility isn't anything less of impressive. I find the only use for a PSP at this time is it's additions for video and mp3s, and the emulation front.

The DS Lite does look like a massive improvement, but as always, I'm skeptical about the size in my own hands. I found the DS was the perfect size for me, so making it smaller might just be a problem. I'll have to see the Lite myself to decide if I want to purchase one in the future.

OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
Blacklord said:
I mean how can a console with only 265 colors be better than a console with 5 million colors?

Graphics aren't everything, you know. Especially in the handheld market. The whole purpose of handheld gaming is for a short instant fix, I don't care if the game I'm playing doesn't have groundbreaking visuals.

Sure, the PSP is technically brilliant. Even I was blown away with the quality of the screen, but at the end of the day its a games console and the PSP titles are just boring PS2 rehashes.

DS (as with so many Nintendo products) games are all about quality and enjoyment. For me, and for many thousands (even millions of people) the DS proves to be a much more enjoyable handheld experience than the PSP ever could be.

But this is not a thread to flame about which is better, so lets leave it there.

smcd

The_Z said:
Looks nice, but isn't worth my money, since I have a regular DS. :p

Well if you already have a DS, then of course it's probably not worth the money :p

ShadowDamien

Shadow's Secret Clone
The_Z said:
Looks nice, but isn't worth my money, since I have a regular DS. :p

Ditto.

By the way Blacklord. The PSP is overrated and economists are predicting that the DS lite will soon surpass the PSP market due to more PS fans wanting more addictive games to play. Plus most people already have an MP3 player. In my view, the PSP is just a bigger Ipod with a gaming feature.

That is also my way with X-box: a compy with a console.

Plus, it was Nintendo that saved the handheld market... EPECIALLY after the horror of Gamegear.

And the wireless picto-chat isn't that bad either... got me past a few tests in school due to my friend being outside the classroom at luch!!!! BEAT THAT PSP!!!!!!!!

Blacklord

Banned
It can beat that couse it too has wireless so sending files is easy :p. Plus it ain't a big ipod, it's a small dvd player:D.

minkster

GP2x all the way woohoo! Oh wait, this a ds thread. I like the new design, it looks very sleek and compact. It actually has that ipod-esque look to it ;)

The_Z

"The_A"
sethmcdoogle said:
Well if you already have a DS, then of course it's probably not worth the money :p
Yep. I would think of it like the Gameboy Micro- A nice added bonus to have, but not really neccessary

Plus, I was even hoping the NDSL will be a bit cheaper than the NDS. :p
Oh well, price drops for the regular DS, then, hopefully.

Last edited:
OP
Jaz

Jaz

Ex-Mod
minkster said:
GP2x all the way woohoo! Oh wait, this a ds thread. I like the new design, it looks very sleek and compact. It actually has that ipod-esque look to it ;)

I'm actually tempted now to get a GP2X.

As for the Lite's design, it has been compared quite a bit to that of Apple design.

riles9262

My dissident is here...
The 4 brightness settings are what I find most exciting about it. The size and feel of the original really doesn't bother me; I find it quite comfortable (it took some getting used to though). Paired with the supercard sd, I'm loving my ds :D

minkster

Jaz said:
I'm actually tempted now to get a GP2X.

As for the Lite's design, it has been compared quite a bit to that of Apple design.

*Offtopic* IMO the GP2x was worth it, the emulators are pretty good....not perfect, but the device keeps getting better every day. As for the video playback, it rocks. For instance on my 1 gig sd card, I was able to store RockyIII on there (yes I'm a big rocky fan :)) and 4 ren and stimpy episodes all compressed of course. While also having about 50 mp3s and about 95 games consisting of nes, genisis, and snes. The device is really great, there are so many possibilities, and it may even have wifi in the future.

Well now I'm done with my 2x rant and I have to say that the DS really looks nice. I don't own one, but I've seen people play mario kart on it and how you can play wifi with anyone really. Does anyone know how much smaller it is than the original DS? I may look into getting one of them myself if they drop down in price.

smcd

minkster said:
*Offtopic* IMO the GP2x was worth it, the emulators are pretty good....not perfect, but the device keeps getting better every day. As for the video playback, it rocks. For instance on my 1 gig sd card, I was able to store RockyIII on there (yes I'm a big rocky fan :)) and 4 ren and stimpy episodes all compressed of course. While also having about 50 mp3s and about 95 games consisting of nes, genisis, and snes. The device is really great, there are so many possibilities, and it may even have wifi in the future.

Well now I'm done with my 2x rant and I have to say that the DS really looks nice. I don't own one, but I've seen people play mario kart on it and how you can play wifi with anyone really. Does anyone know how much smaller it is than the original DS? I may look into getting one of them myself if they drop down in price.

Only problem I have with the gp2x is they aren't honoring the GPL and releasing the sources as required by the license (since it's linux based...)

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Pure Awesome. I love the redesign and will be picking one up once available, i may even import one.

On the matter of DS vs PSP. I had a DS until i twas stolen, which by the time it was I was a bit bored with the crop of games.

I have a PSP now, and the ONLY thing i use it for, is ironically, to play NES GBx GBC SNES and Neo Geo CD (Portable Metal Slug > all)

Right now the DS trumps the PSP as far as interesting software and support goes. Sony continually tries to thwart homebrew. And the ONLY PSP game I'm interested in right now is Me and My Katamari which comes out next month.

There are about a dozen titles on the DS I wish i had though.