What's new

Nintendo DS emulation?

Stezo2k

S-2K
We may see some progress within about a year depending on the author's thoughts about emulating new consoles/handhelds

though the specs are similar to the n64, the DS isn't an n64

OP
F

FAR

First Person Shooter
"though the specs are similar to the n64, the DS isn't an n64"

certainly. It could be much more easy to emulate than gamecube. I can't wait to play Mario64 DS on pc :bouncy:

Stezo2k

S-2K
FAR said:
"though the specs are similar to the n64, the DS isn't an n64"

certainly. It could be much more easy to emulate than gamecube. I can't wait to play Mario64 DS on pc :bouncy:

agreed, in theory it should be pretty much as hard as an N64 emulator to code, not sure how they'll get round emulating that pen attachment thing though

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
The DS hardware is actually superior to the N64. Although it can't produce as good gfx as playstation 2, it is still superior to the N64. I still think they'll have trouble emulating framebuffer effects as they do for the n64.

It would be cool to see the NDS emulated, but I wouldn't want it for playing on the PC ;) The whole reason of owning a handheld is to play it anywhere, anytime :p

OP
F

FAR

First Person Shooter
"It would be cool to see the NDS emulated, but I wouldn't want it for playing on the PC ;) The whole reason of owning a handheld is to play it anywhere, anytime"

I'm kinda lazy. I prefer playing at home on the big screen tv. While traveling, I cant really hold still my GBASP. Playing at home is much more relaxing and tranquil.

mezkal

Man on a mission
FOR GOD'S SAKE WHY???

It's about as far as you can get from a PC. Why owuld you want to emulate a DS? The whole point of the portable gaming system is just that. It's portable. And not in the coding sense either ;)

Granted it would be a nice technical achievement and a feather in the cap of those who may make it happen. But really it's a silly venture.

Nintendo has only just released it and frankly, almost all thier economic future DEPENDS on the success of the DS. Emulation at this stage would only serve to put yet another nail in the big N's coffin.

LEAVE THE DS ALONE.

:)

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
MMh... every time a new console is born the first people are asking for an emulator!
Buy it or get a live, please...
It's annoying, and if you really want a emulator, why not coding it?

OP
F

FAR

First Person Shooter
MasterPhW said:
MMh... every time a new console is born the first people are asking for an emulator!
Buy it or get a live, please...
It's annoying, and if you really want a emulator, why not coding it?

You would not be here if there were no emulators. The whole site would be meaningless. Anyway, I will buy it when it's released in Europe.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
FAR said:
You would not be here if there were no emulators. The whole site would be meaningless. Anyway, I will buy it when it's released in Europe.
I'm here to get new emus for (classic) consoles, I'm here to help in developing emus/plugin (...) and I want to help people who don't know how to use emus BUT I'm not here to ask for emus of not really released consoles!
Okay, we probably all looking forward for the first emu of this console, because of the great features, but shouldn't we buy if before to try these feature IN REAL?! I think so...

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
mezkal said:
FOR GOD'S SAKE WHY???

It's about as far as you can get from a PC. Why owuld you want to emulate a DS? The whole point of the portable gaming system is just that. It's portable. And not in the coding sense either ;)

Granted it would be a nice technical achievement and a feather in the cap of those who may make it happen. But really it's a silly venture.

Nintendo has only just released it and frankly, almost all thier economic future DEPENDS on the success of the DS. Emulation at this stage would only serve to put yet another nail in the big N's coffin.

LEAVE THE DS ALONE.

:)

Agreed, I think emulating current consoles to actually play them is a fucking stupid idead.

I do however, disagree with your thoughts on Nintendo. They could completely pull out of the NA market and still do just fine, they are still doing extremely well in Japan and the US market is just a very, very small slice of their pie.

Ooh, now that I think about it, wasn't the first GBA emu released within a week or so of the GBA launching? That sure as hell hasn't slowed sales down....

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here, I think emulating the DS with intent to actually play the games and not buy the console is an idiotic idea.

smegforbrain

mezkal said:
Why owuld you want to emulate a DS?

How long after the GBA was released was there any emulator for it?

Let's face it: you have people that create emulators for the joy of programming and, down the road, for archival purposes.

Then you have people who just can't wait for the emulator so that, once the games can be pirated as well, they don't have to buy any more games.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Well i've seen a game or 2 dumped and ready for downloading already.... only time will tell if an emulator will appear soon or in months/years

Stezo2k

S-2K
Guru64 said:
Are the roms Sonic DS and Pictochat? Those are fakes. The creator said that he made them.

yeah.... kinda of wondered why they were so big with only 2mb compression, explains it now really

cheers for the info

Stezo2k

S-2K
MasterPhW said:
Yeah, rul0r! And what do you want to do with?
Think it's another fake, but who knows?

Yeah, it was stated earlier. It is more than likely fake so I wouldn't build my hopes up though.

whotheheckam

"agreed, in theory it should be pretty much as hard as an N64 emulator to code, not sure how they'll get round emulating that pen attachment thing though"

As far as the touch screen part, I was reading somewhere else that they could use the mouse to drag across it. I forget which forum it was but it was saying that there was a emulator thing for the palm pilots that uses the mouse to drag stuff as the touch screen.