What's new

N64 Glide Plugin Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberman

Ogy said:
I have a little Question, i always thought my voodoo 5 5500 has 4 TMU's but after consulting with dave and looking up the internet i came to the conclusion that i have absolutely no idea what's going on here? so Cyberman, Reznor007 or anybody with some knowledge in the field, can you help please?

and on a different note, here is the pic you asked for dave:
Ummm You mean about the Voodoo 5 wither it has 4 or 2 or 3 TMU's I would probably have to look around a bit for the information on it, even then 3DFX really didn't put up a lot of data about there chipsets, namely because they developed exclusively for themselves.

Cyb

LD.

*poke*
As always, any news is good news :)

Is this new texture code likely to give a significant speed boost? I mean, it runs insanely fast for me already, but with a fairly decent boost I might just be able to run Conker and Majora's Mask at a decent framerate :D.

*drools*

Also a question I've been meaning to ask for a while (and one that seems to apply even more now) is about the different 3Dfx cards. Which ones do you use for testing and optimisation? Are the lower end cards (Voodoo2/Voodoo3) likely to have problems with the new code?

Anyhoo, keep up the good work, and keep us all updated on your speedy progress :D

Last edited:

Reznor007

Voodoo4/5 was completely different than the rest of the line.

V1, Vrush, and VBanshee were all 1 pixel pipeline with 1 TMU. Voodoo2 and 3 were 1 pixel pipeline with 2 TMU's. Voodoo4/5 were 2 pixel pipeline with 1 TMU. In single textured games V5 had a fillrate of 666Mpixel/sec, but when doing multitexture, one of the pixel pipelines was used as a TMU, so the fillrate was only 333Mpixel/sec.

LD.

*poke*
gokuss4 said:
alright i know the problem with the items of ssb. they're 2d objects but the plugin register them as 3d objects. so thats why when you hold them they look like they're turned but they're not suppose to be. its like 3d paper lol but the items always have to face the screen at all times. dave i hope i made sense and i know what i was talking about. and you other people i want to get your opinions on this matter. with 2 screenshots to show you.

Even though its probably been fixed by now, theres more with Smash Bros. It also has problems with the scaling of the objects. That's why you can't see the Charge Shot that Samus does - because it's really small. The Pokémon that come out of the balls are affected by this too (Koffing's smoke is really thin, and when Snorlax/Clefairy fall down the screen they're too small).

Ogy

3Dfx Fanatic.
LD. said:
As always, any news is good news :)

Is this new texture code likely to give a significant speed boost? I mean, it runs insanely fast for me already, but with a fairly decent boost I might just be able to run Conker and Majora's Mask at a decent framerate :D.

*drools*

Also a question I've been meaning to ask for a while (and one that seems to apply even more now) is about the different 3Dfx cards. Which ones do you use for testing and optimisation? Are the lower end cards (Voodoo2/Voodoo3) likely to have problems with the new code?

Anyhoo, keep up the good work, and keep us all updated on your speedy progress :D

No, VooDoo2 - VooDoo5 should look *exactly* the same, however voodoo1's .... that's a different story.

and thank you Reznor007 :) i didn't understand anything of what you said... but dave will :p

Dave2001

!! you implemented fog!? I'm looking forward to seeing you again :)

btw, Gonetz, the texture load change is nearly complete. It works on all formats but 32-bit and needs some manual wrapping/clamping/mirroring (very small functions). It should be done within the next 2-4 days. (I'm out of school now :) yay!!!)

Last edited:

Reznor007

Dave, are you going to have an option for the texture filtering controls? Such as not filtering when the game uses point sampling, or the ability to force bilinear.

Dave2001

erm... there already is the ability to force bilinear or point-sampled.

About the auto, i will implement it soon (i almost did a while ago). I don't think this option would do quite as you'd expect... the only things i can see it might be disabled for are things such as the lens of truth (so that it can correctly cut the image without blending). (i have tested a few things and not once seen the filter mode change)

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
can somebody send to me ([email protected]) or post here some shots from real console, where fog is notisable? I found shots on IGN and GameSpot, but they have very bad quality.

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
lots of ways. Many videocards have TV-IN, many web camers have TV-IN, all videotuners have it. If you have one of these devices, plug console to it and make shot. If not, you can use digital camera to make shots from TV screen, but this is worst case.

OP
S

Slougi

Well, I don't really have a way to take a nice SS, my vid card has tv-out only, and no web-cam :(

euphoria

Emutalk Member
!! you implemented fog!? I'm looking forward to seeing you again btw, Gonetz, the texture load change is nearly complete. It works on all formats but 32-bit and needs some manual wrapping/clamping/mirroring (very small functions). It should be done within the next 2-4 days. (I'm out of school now yay!!!)
Dave, have you made texture mirroring manually? Since my V1 doesn't support the Glide's auto-mirroring option. I might be willing to implement it if it hasn't been done already (and if my skills will be enough).

Status
Not open for further replies.