What's new

mozilla firefox 0.8

Stezo2k

S-2K
been using this since yesterday, bloody brilliant browser, i love the improvements since 0.7, i'm well impressed

Eagle said:
whoa! much faster initial load time! Me likes. Thats the one thing I hated about firebird, when I typed a URL into the taskbar it took forever for the browser to load and then navigate to the site. Firefox is fast.

seconded, it wasnt so much a problem on my box.. but on the machine at work it was a pain in the ass.. btw try viewing this site in firefox and then in IE

http://www.phoenity.com/newtedge/

2fast4u

first of all the damn name changing needs to stop.

i didnt get around to try the browser out properly yet but so far a few things about it annoyed me from the start. such as, its still not able to import my extensions and skins into the new version which is a royal pain in the ass to reinstall and configure.

Last edited:

Slougi

2fast4u said:

i didnt get around to try the browser out properly yet but so far a few things about it annoyed me from the start. such as, its still not able to import my extensions and skins into the new version which is a royal pain in the ass to reinstall and configure.

Psst. It does on Linux ;)
It propably installs extensions into the program folder in windows?

2fast4u

Slougi said:
Psst. It does on Linux ;)
It propably installs extensions into the program folder in windows?

damn you :D

and indeed probably does, i just couldnt be bothered to check how to solve the issue yet ;)

Eagle

aka Alshain
2fast4u said:

It does on windows too. When I installed Firefox, it took all my settings and favorites from firebird so I just deleted the firebird folder. I didnt have to do anything, the installer searched the hard drive for firebird, grabbed the settings and did everything before I even knew about it.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
According to Ben Goodger and the Brand name faq the firefox name should be final.

I backed up all my settings before upgrading worrying about the same as 2fast4u, but actually everything went fine. The only thing i had to do was to rename all bookmarks with 'firebird' to 'firefox'.

The best thing to do when adding new extensions/skins is to install them in the profile folder instead than in the program folder, so you don't need to reinstall them after an upgrade.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I love this browser, FireFox is awesome, I'm using it right now to post this in fact.

As for the name change, i'm not really fussy what its called as long as they don't make it sound lame.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Sayargh said:
I love this browser, FireFox is awesome, I'm using it right now to post this in fact.

As for the name change, i'm not really fussy what its called as long as they don't make it sound lame.

What was it called before Firebird? I definately like the new Icon a lot better.

Macca

Pheonix -> Firebird - > Firefox

the names only changing for legal reasons.

i've been with fox for ages and i havent loked back

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Eagle said:
It does on windows too. When I installed Firefox, it took all my settings and favorites from firebird so I just deleted the firebird folder. I didnt have to do anything, the installer searched the hard drive for firebird, grabbed the settings and did everything before I even knew about it.

Actually it just goes off of a registry setting which points to a browser profile stored in a directory in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data, if you started with phoenix or mozilla, it automatically uses whatever default profile you had set.

Eagle

aka Alshain
AlphaWolf said:
Actually it just goes off of a registry setting which points to a browser profile stored in a directory in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data, if you started with phoenix or mozilla, it automatically uses whatever default profile you had set.

Well whatever, it still works.

2fast4u

Eagle said:

im not talking about the bookmarks mind you. those were imported flawless. however the extensions i installed (advanced tabbed browsing, smooth scrolling, etc) were gone.

OP
zAlbee

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
2fast4u said:
im not talking about the bookmarks mind you. those were imported flawless. however the extensions i installed (advanced tabbed browsing, smooth scrolling, etc) were gone.
well, the <a href=http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/releases/index.html#install>release notes</a> do ask you to disable all extensions before upgrading to avoid problems with incompatible extensions. so i wasn't really surprised. then again i installed my extensions into the program directory, so it wouldn't have carried over anyway (new name = new directory, damn you mozilla and your multiple names).

Eagle

aka Alshain
2fast4u said:

Ah I see, well I dont think I have extensions installed so I guess I didnt have to worry bout those.

NeTo

Emu_64 HiP Coder
2fast4u said:

That's what i meant with installing extensions in the profile folder instead of the browser dir. But actually, TBE brakes often, i saw some compat problems during the 0.8 development, so it was most likely you would had to update it anyway.