What's new

Melee Arcive Viewer (MAV) in development project.

Myuutsuu

forever.
I just wonder what's so special about Pikachu...

Perhaps it has something to do with him having the alternate costume bits, while nearly all other characters do not (save Pichu, Jigglypuff, Peach)? Not sure if that would have an impact on his structure or anything (like in Brawl, Jiggs' sleep cap hat causes a lot of problems, whereas almost everything else works fine), but just a hunch.

Of course, I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but anyway Really neat progress being made in here... It's really encouraging. :)

OP
Tcll

Tcll

Complexity == Fun >:3
Perhaps it has something to do with him having the alternate costume bits, while nearly all other characters do not (save Pichu, Jigglypuff, Peach)? Not sure if that would have an impact on his structure or anything (like in Brawl, Jiggs' sleep cap hat causes a lot of problems, whereas almost everything else works fine), but just a hunch.

Of course, I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but anyway Really neat progress being made in here... It's really encouraging. :)

nah...

those are separate meshes alltogether...

Milun

...aw, that's a shame.

About the code, I have to be honest, while it may not seem that way, what with my programs that only glitch once every two uses, I'm actually a beginner in C++. I only started properly using it when I began on this project. I've read through the C# code, and I'm pretty confused too. I could give you a sheet with my comments on it, but all I could make so far were just basic assumptions based on variable names and whatnot (btw, I've never once hacked Brawl, due to my inability to run it on my Wii, which would probably explain my motifs for hacking Melee).

OP
Tcll

Tcll

aww...

if you want... you can DL it...
I have a few torrents posted on SBF (that work)
but you can get the iso and use the latest version of dolphin to extract the files...

that's what I did...

yes I have every single file of brawl and melee on my computer...
now I just need the files from 64

Milun

To be honest, ever since that fateful day of waiting at the store since, eagerly getting my pre-ordered copy of Brawl, coming home to try and play it, and finding out I never can due to myself being a hardcore Nintendo fan and buying one of the first Wii's released, which can't play Brawl. And Nintendo refused to fix said issue... something about voiding warranty... ahem... Anyway, because of that, I just completely ignore Brawl. I've played it a lot at a friends house, but it just aint as fun as Melee. I'm proud however, to announce that I have no resentments towards its developers from the incidents... none at all...

But thanks for the offer.

OP
Tcll

Tcll

aww...
you shouldn't be like that...

I mean... not that I'm trying to push it on you or anything...
but it's your choice...

just because your Wii cant play it... (wich utterly sucks)
doesn't mean your computer cant...

but I wasn't giving it to you to play anyways...
I was giving it to you to decipher the data from...
if I could send you the separate files of it, I would...

but still... the DL's there...
you can choose to DL it whenever you feel like :)

and it does work too...
but my computers not good enough to play it at a decent speed...

heh...
I'd even allow you to come over to play Brawl- which is truly epic
Brawl+ is more like melee...
havn't tried BBrawl or VBrawl yet

Milun

Oh, well if all you wanted was help with hacking Brawl, then I could give it a look over. Just a note, to quote Flanders, when it comes to hacking Brawl I know 'Nothing at all...'. My computer can't run Brawl, so that's out the window. I figure I hack Melee because out of the 3, (personally) it's the best yet gets the least hacks.

Milun

Duhn...

DUHN...

DUUUUUUUUUUUHHHNNN!!!

I think I know what to do now. You know how the .dat file goes 'Verts, UV's, and Normals then later faces'? Well, what I did was I took the third section (normals?) converted them, then, I converted the 2nd section (UV's?) and pasted them after the first one. I know this is probably waaaaaaaaaaay off what I was meant to do, but almost every object had a distinctive shape in its UV's. Methinks we should look into this.

I think I have an idea. Perhaps the UV's are in reverse, as in the first UV converted should be the last written to the file. Worth a try.

EDIT: Well, reversing the UV part of 'f vert/normal/UV' doesn't work. I have to find a way to reverse the whole vt portion, and I have noooo idea how.

EDIT2: Aaaand after reversing everything that could be reversed, I didn't get anything better than the first results :(

Last edited:

GameWatching

i have something to said :
if you take a player model in brawlbox you will find that he have multiple polygons
(polygon0,polygon1)
each polygon have a part of a body
(head,eye,feets,sometimes whole body)

if you try to vertex one of them,
it's hard because some vertices are mixed,
but it's possible.

if you attemp to vertex a char in melee,
you will have all the vertices mixed (because they are multiple polygons)
and it's nearly impossible to edit them.

can't you devide the SSBM player model in many polygons like in SSBB to edit their
vertices ?

OP
Tcll

Tcll

actually, Polygon0 and Polygon1 are seprate objects

I've gotten Pikachu fully imported into blender if you'd like to see how he's built...
QmaSEu4TsUWGEfbxPksg4VPbCChmYcyp8Xh4Pa4jadoeiv

here's the DL:
http://tcll5850.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=downloadattachmentpage&board=models&thread=5&post=70

let me know if you experiance any probs downloading

Last edited:

GameWatching

here's fox head polygon from brawl :
foxbrawl.png

it's seperate from the body cause it's a single object,
at least,
it's editable

AND HERE'S THE WHOLE FOX MODEL FROM MELEE D:
foxmelee.png

you couldn't even identify his head D:

see what i mean ?

Milun

I know exactly what you mean. And from my experiences in importing a slightly-faced Jigglypuff, I would wager that separating the objects might not work. I'll try it of course.

I can always separate each individual facegroup and see what happens if it doesn't work.

revel8n

Melee characters are also split into multiple vertex/polygon groups. They are contained in a hierarchy starting with the Jobj strctures ouline in the template classes in the file i sent to Tcll which he posted earlier in the thread. If you want to see it more visibly in the hex data download 010 Editor (www.sweetscape.com) and run the template against a toy/trophy or player file and you can follow the Jobj, Dobj, Mobj, Tobj, Pobj, and other structures to the relevant data.

OP
Tcll

Tcll

here's fox head polygon from brawl :
[image]

it's seperate from the body cause it's a single object,
at least,
it's editable

AND HERE'S THE WHOLE FOX MODEL FROM MELEE D:
[image]

you couldn't even identify his head D:

see what i mean ?

I think I get what you mean...
you want to get it as a separate object...

well... the objects are offset by a value located in the face data...
(as I outlined way earlier in the thread)

you'll have to figure a way to add that value to the offset to get the faces (not verts) in the correct place...
(really, the verts are correct... it's how they're orderd)

OP
Tcll

Tcll

Melee characters are also split into multiple vertex/polygon groups. They are contained in a hierarchy starting with the Jobj strctures ouline in the template classes in the file i sent to Tcll which he posted earlier in the thread. If you want to see it more visibly in the hex data download 010 Editor (www.sweetscape.com) and run the template against a toy/trophy or player file and you can follow the Jobj, Dobj, Mobj, Tobj, Pobj, and other structures to the relevant data.

010 Editor only lasts for 30 days unless you have a VALAD liscense :angry:

either revel or me would have to program a similar program to do this...
(to get it to last forever) =]

Milun

I think I get what you mean...
you want to get it as a separate object...

well... the objects are offset by a value located in the face data...
(as I outlined way earlier in the thread)

you'll have to figure a way to add that value to the offset to get the faces (not verts) in the correct place...
(really, the verts are correct... it's how they're ordered)

...hm... that's quite interesting. So what you mean is that if a particular object has an offset value of say 13 in the Z, I should add that value to every single vert that its faces connect to? I know that's not what you mean, because the verts need to stay where they are, I'm just wondering if I got the gist of it. I'll try it on Jigglypuff, as I got her mouth and front of her face already faced (if I still have the file).

On a related topic, I thought of a way to research UV: The egg trophy. It has only one texture, only one face type, and only one object (and it was the first thing I could successfully export). I'll report back with more info.

EDIT: Wow, the egg file told me literally nothing. I couldn't get even the vaguest shapes in the UV.

Last edited:

GameWatching

Milun,
i tested your vertconverter 2.1
i noticed that only the vertices that are near the edited one are a bit messed up,
but for the rest it's ok,

here, take a look :
galp0160.png

see ?
the body is ok,
but the head is messed up because i made for him a round head,
also removed his necktie

Milun

Hm... odd. None the less, thanks very much for that, it's always nice to have an outside look onto these things. I'll look into that when I'm finished with the .pl files (which are currently being very annoying).

Well, after spending way too long on remodeling my original .ty face converter to support the player model, here's what I have to show for it:

Don't worry, it's meant to look like that. At the very least I got a couple of faces to export properly. Now I have to make a way for it to add to the vertices.

But now, I have to ask a question:

I know that the vertice origins are unorganized, but could this mean you have to rotate them as well?

...well, after messing up even further what was once clean and organized code, I managed to make my face extracting program actually work (it was complaining quite a few times before). Now the only errors it has are those when it tries to convert the Triangle fans (I really need to get around to that). None the less, I managed to get something decent out of it... Helloooooooooooooooo fox:

So far, I've noticed the only scrambling in the vertices occurs in the Z-axis (don't quote me on that, I'm not entirely sure). However, as you stated before:

hmm... seems I was looking at the player hex wrongly...
here is the way it should be:

80 00 0C
09 04 2C 03 A7 05 8C
0C 07 D6 07 A8 05 8C
0C 07 D7 07 A9 05 8D
09 04 2E 03 A9 05 8D
09 04 2E 03 A9 05 8D
09 04 2D 03 A8 04 ED
03 07 83 07 37 04 F4
03 07 84 07 38 05 8D
03 07 84 07 38 04 F4
03 07 70 07 17 05 8C
09 04 2C 03 A7 05 8D
09 04 2E 03 A9 05 8D

?? vertex normal UV

I've imported a few more faces in my old pl converter since I've noticed this...
still... not all though...

I have quite a large suspicion that the magenta colors are the unscramblers for the vertices... however, multiple faces corners are applied to the same vertice... oh... maybe every face that includes the point has the same unscrambler? I'll get back to you.

Last edited:

revel8n

If you look at the Jobj structure, it also contains position, rotation, and scale information.

Like i mentioned the structure is a hierarchy. The information in the Jobj structure works as the information necessary for Joints. The information in the contained and linked structures from that have information on which joints influence each group of vertices/faces. This information also contains the vertex layout that can specify, among other things, Which Jobj/Joint matrix to index, which vertex, normal and uv to index, if present, as well as the size of each index value.

To properly read these structures in every possible combination these files use, especially for players (since mesh vertices can be arbitrarily transformed by joint values) you will eventually have to work through this data. As there are some files, most notably payers, that may or may not have a joint index before the vertex, normal and uv index. There are some files that have 8-bit indices instead of 16-bit. There are some that have indices for normals, and not uvs, and vice versa.

Last edited:

revel8n

I have quite a large suspicion that the magenta colors are the unscramblers for the vertices... however, multiple faces corners are applied to the same vertice... oh... maybe every face that includes the point has the same unscrambler? I'll get back to you.

That magenta value, for players, is more than likely the joint matrix index. But i would have to look at the vertex layout structure to be certain.