What's new

I have a .TPL viewer here

fatalexception

very nice!
whose docs did you use to write it? yagcd? is its source available?

however, i noticed the alpha channel is often ignored in your tga file output.
format 6 looks correct.
formats 8, 9, & 14 appears to lack an alpha channel.
maybe this is due to using a color palette rather than true color. i guess ill find out when i get around to writing my own tpl viewer.

is this monks tplx? http://gcube.exemu.net/source.htm

Last edited:

BlueFalcon7

does this only work for only resident evil? theres TPL files in half the isos i have, someone give a compat list

OP
M

MarkGrass

@fatalexception - I didn't write this program, I found it on some German Gamecube emulation site a long time ago. If you are thinking of writing a .TPL viewer, please, by all means let me know!
Yes, after checking that link, it is Monk's TPLX. *the hell I went through awhile back just to find a .TPL program and it was under my nose the whole time :angry: *

@BlueFalcon7 - I'm almost positive that if you have some Gamecube .ISOs that have .TPL files, they can be extracted with TPLX.
TPL files are nothing more than little textures, and some prerendered backgrounds, atleast that's what i've found so far.

BlueFalcon7

i have seen TPL files in F-Zero GX but i think they are models, i was hoping to get some of those models, how come resident Evil and Mario games are getting so much attention and not F-Zero GX and sonic :-(

i have quite a few isos made by totally different companies with TPL files, i have checked F-Zero GX TPL files and i have seen a little bit down long chains of UUUUÿÿÿÿUUUUÿÿÿÿ... which in the hex a U is 55 and in binary 01010101, and ÿ is FF in hex and 11111111 in binary. I dont have the Iso for resident evil so could you check it out, if you dont have a hex viewer, notepad should work, the UUUUÿÿÿÿ... is hard to miss

OP
M

MarkGrass

how come resident Evil and Mario games are getting so much attention and not F-Zero GX and sonic :-(

Sorry, I specialize in tearing both old and new school Resident Evil/BioHazard games apart on any console which obviously led me to investigate .TPL files. Most if not all of my work can be found on the BioHazard 1.5 Prototype Forum, BioFlames which is located here www.bioflames.com/forum (Mark's Corner is currently getting moved to THIA)

About the .TPL files, I checked about 3 of them in HEX and they all seem to have the same header (i'm sure it varies for different sized files), and had no strings you mentioned. Perhaps other companies included the models and textures in one .TPL file? Are the .TPL files you've found large in size?

EDIT: After checking out different sized .TPL files from BioHazard 4, they all have this same header:

0020 AF30

Last edited:

R-II

Any idea why the S3TC section still says it's screwed? I didn't have any trouble writing my viewer from that.

thakis

No - in my eyes the S3TC information is correct (but now that you say it...I remember that some of windwaker's land maps looked kinda screwed in my bti converter - I'll check that).

fatalexception

@mark - wrote a gcm file extractor, tree viewer. wrote a bnr image extractor. working on tpl image extractor (formats 6 & 8 seem to be working)... i havent had much free coding time since the holidays ended. but im using yagcd & monks tplx code as references. im not interested in writing fast code -- im interested in writing clearly understandable and well documented code. hell, i may even rewrite it in java if i get too frusterated with the c++ code formatter im using in eclipse.

@thakis - thanks for the warning about wind waker's land maps; i'll be sure to test them when i get around to implementing s3tc.

thakis

Hm, the non-working windwaker map images are in format 8, so this is not a problem with s3tc (most format 8 images work, though. strange.)

jth

Fatalexception, an excellent function you could perhaps consider if you haven't already would be for your tpl extractor to be able to extract all the tpl files from within a non tpl file, as none of the other convertors for the format I know of do this. Though the name extractor implies that it already does something like this, good luck =]

fatalexception

are you saying that there are files that contain tpl files such that a coder could search a file for the magic word, read the header, test for valid offsets, then extract the textures? if so please provide an example.

or do you want a utility that extracts textures from an arbitrary file given the filename, texture offset, palette offset, texture format, and palette format?

finally, im seeking tpl test scenarios for I8, IA4, RGB565, CI14X2, & CMP.
i need to know the game name, serial, filename, texture format, & palette format.

R-II

Paper Mario TTYD has I8, IA4, not sure about RGB565, no CI14X2, and a crapload of CMP. I don't remember which files had what, but almost everything in the a directory, filenames ending with "-" are TPL files full of CMP, and most of the "t" files in the m/* directories have various I/IA samples mixed in with CMP.

I'm looking for an instance of CI14X2 myself, and CI4 and CI8

thakis

Zelda and Mario have som CI4 and CI8 files - however, in .bti format. The format is more or less the same, only other header data. Anyone interested in file names?

Edit: What is CMP format?

fatalexception

cheers!

/*
* SUCESSFULL TPL TESTS:
* Resident Evil 4 Disc 1 (G4BE), etc\pl010a.tpl, texture 0x08, texture format 0 (I4)
* Resident Evil 4 Disc 1 (G4BE), ss\Item\cap09.tpl, texture 0x01, texture format 3 (IA8)
* Dragons Lair 3D (GDGP), banner.tpl, texture 0x00, texture format 5 (RGB5A3)
* Bust a Move 3000 (G3SE), title\TitleE.tpl, texture 0x12, texture format 6 (RGBA8)
* Bust a Move 3000 (G3SE), Attract.tpl, texture 0x06, texture format 8 (CI4), palette format 2 (RGB5A3)
* Bust a Move 3000 (G3SE), Attract.tpl, texture 0x36, texture format 9 (CI8), palette format 2 (RGB5A3)
* Resident Evil 4 Disc 1 (G4BE), ss\Item\cap09.tpl, texture 0x02, texture format e (CMP)
*/

/*
* SUCESSFULL BTI TESTS:
* Luigis Mansion (GLME), Effect\hakko.bti, texture format 1 (I8)
* Luigis Mansion (GLME), Ending\house_00.bti, texture format 4 (RGB565)
* The Legend Of Zelda The Wind Waker (GZLP), res\placename\PN0\pn_01_0.bti, texture format 2 (IA4)
* Mario Kart Double Dash (GM4E), CourseName\English\BabyLuigi_name.bti, texture format 5 (RGB5A3)
*/

Last edited: