What's new

Help to speed up your emulation using GameOS!

jelbo

Nintendo emulation fanatic!
Help to speed up your emulation using GameOS.

GameOS is an alternate shell for use with Windows. Basically what it does is changing the default shell from Explorer (Windows) to GameOS in system.ini (shell=C:\GAMEOS\GAMEOS.exe). This may sound more dangerous than it is; it can easily be changed with GameOS itself. (Read on)

But the best thing about GameOS is its speed! When you normally run games on your PC, there's alway Windows running in the background consuming processor-power and memory. GameOS replaces Windows and thus makes running games (and emulators) much faster. It works great for me.

I tested GameOS on my XP Professional notebook (P4 2 GHz, 246mb RAM, Ati Radeon Mobility M6-P with Plutonium XP drivers) and I must say I'm impressed. Before, I could run Goldeneye on 800x600 16bbp decently with PJ64 1.5 (default settings, only using triple buffer as buffer display mode) and with GameOS I could use 1024x768 32bbp with great results. I have the same performance increase with many more N64 roms I play (Banjo Tooie, Zelda MM, etc.)

>>How to change it back to Windows

Windows 98/ME

The manual says 'For Win9x, go into system.ini and change the shell= line to:
shell=Explorer.exe'. So, when in GameOS, you should open system.ini in your Windows folder with Notepad and change the line 'Shell=C:\GAMEOS\GAMEOS.exe' (assuming you installed GameOS in C:\GAMEOS) to 'Shell=Explorer.exe'. Reboot and you're back in Windows.

Windows 2000/XP

When in GameOS, click on titlebar and select 'Set Explorer as default shell'. Reboot and you're back in Windows.

>>How to set GameOS as default shell

Easiest way; open GameOS.exe, select 'Set GameOS as default shell'.

>>What I recommend:

Extract the contents of gameos.zip in C:\GAMEOS (or any other drive you boot from). Place shortcuts to games and emulators in the 'games' subfolder of the GAMEOS folder you created. (You can open any program in GameOS though). Open GameOS.exe, click the titlebar and select 'Set GameOS as default shell'. Reboot. Play away with better performance! Don't forget to set the shell back to explorer if you need.

You can also choose from 3 performance modes in GameOS; Normal, High and Realtime. When in any other mode than Normal, certain things will be disabled, like system properties and display properties. When not changing the performance level back to normal, but do return to Windows, the limitations are the same. So, don't panic and return to GameOS to set it back to normal.

I hope people will enjoy GameOS as much as I do; I thought it would be handy for many emulator enthusiasts. I'm not responsible for any damage done to your computer, but if you ahve questions you may ask them here. So, use this program at your own risk!

LD.

*poke*
Cool! This might just be better than hitting CTRL-ALT-DEL and killing explorer, providing it works of course ;)

crhylove

Banned
what other improvements are there? like what does the ut2k3 benchmark prog give with gameos vs. windowsxp?

thnx!

rhy

Hitman

A program like this would have been developed and have its own website... Couldn't you just give us the url and then we can see for ourselves what it can and can't do ? I'm suspicious... Has anyone actually tried it or installed it yet.
I do agree it sounds great, but it seems to have popped up from nowhere !

CpU MasteR

omg h4x
Well, I ran it with XP... I got back from GameOS to Windows with no problem... I got speeds i never got before... Its great...

OP
jelbo

jelbo

Crhylove, I don’t know anything of benchmarks; I don’t have any benchmark program installed. But you can easily test it yourself without hurting your system; changing back to Explorer is easy as hell. I’m quite curoius to any results.

Oh and you can trust me; on http://www.smartalec2000.com you can get GameOS when you buy a product of him. I didn’t got my copy from this site, but some site called Voodoofiles (http://www.voodoofiles.com ?). Here’s what’s said about GameOS on the official Smartalec site:

“P.S. As an added bonus, if you do purchase this package, just send at email to me at [email protected] with a copy of your receipt and i'll send you a copy of GameOS XG, a user interface designed just to maximize gaming experience for better performance and stability!”

Here’s a link to gameOS on Voodoofiles:

http://www.voodoofiles.com/3435

You can also read some user comments there bfore trying anything out. Ignore the warnings about Windows ME; it’s shit because it works, even with XP (see my screenshot).

iq_132

Banned
If you know how to use gameos... it's pretty good. If you don't, it's probably going to screw up your system. i tried it a few years ago... when I knew less than the little I know now and had to boot into dos and manually edit my system.ini file.

jvolel

Destoryer of worlds
jelbo said:

jelbo!! your avatar is nice how did you do that!! its so uberly important that you tell me how you did that, it can actually help the production of another simple yet simply addictive game!!

also ive used something simlar a long time ago in the days of win 98, it was called game booster, for my slow comp it really did nothing lol

Last edited:
OP
jelbo

jelbo

Aha, so you want to know how I make those animations? Ah, finally some's interested in them. But please go to another topic of me called 'N64 layer disabling/texture ripping' where I actually talked about these animations. I uploaded some there too, so check 'em out. I'll explain things in that thread, because this one's only about GameOS.

ShadowFX

Guardian
I've tried GameOS EG, and I just cannot get any speed increase or anything. It's all the same with and without Explorer shell. But then again, I already get good speeds with my current system ;)