What's new

Half-Life 2 Stutter problem exposed...(video)

smcd

I included Atari in there because I was unsure about if they had a say in the "to CD or no CD" issues. My point was that (Epic perhaps) shows some interest in protecting their stuff using reasonable methods and after a short while even gave some back to the consumer - an officially sanctioned no-CD/DVD. Oh well

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Three *major* (as in render the game unplayable) bugs that affect me:

The stutter bug (nuff said)

5.1 audio only coming from one speaker bug, affects all brands of soundcards, pretty hit and miss though: http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176516 This bug makes it unplayable because unless you are facing right at something, you wont hear it.

Jittery control bug: http://www.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=204843 Causes all kinds of anomalies like flying at random even if you don't press any buttons.

This game is quite unplayable, and I am definitely not the only person seeing these bugs. I have a feeling that it is going to be a long long long time before valve fixes all three of these. Meanwhile I have owned this game for over two weeks already and still haven't played it yet.

Last edited:
OP
Stalkid64

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Well as of tomorrow that'll be four whole weeks since Valve started talking about a patch, with no official update still as of yet. Disappointing in the extreme. They did at least give into the people having Securom (sp?) / DVD burner issues and made it so retail versions no longer need the DVD in the drive to play. Still now I have a DVD that'll never leave its box again and a broken game. Erm... great? Then again a lot of people who have finished it have come away disappointed. Very few other forums are even still talking about it, so I think that feeling may be universal.
Far Cry picked up my "Game of the Year" vote, with The Sims 2 coming in a close second (sorry but damn is that game hilarious.) It's sad that with the sequel to the "best PC game ever" sitting on my hard drive I've spent more time on those two (and even more on an import copy of SW:KOTOR II - TSL...). Valve really need to get with the program, and fast. Else no one will stick around for HL3 - then Steam dies out and where does that leave HL2 players..?

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
sheik124 said:
no sound problems here, got soundstorm on my mobo running to logitech z5500's via SPDIF and it works fine in both CS: Source and HL2

Yeah, it works fine for some people. Some soundstorm users have been complaining and others say it works fine. Same with realtek and creative users.