What's new

DirectX 9.0a

thine_impalor

Local spammer
I think I can live without 9.0a, as Microsoft seem to be re-releasing it quite often. I'll get the next major release (like 9.1 or 10.0 or whatever they decide to call it)

Microsoft said after DX9 they were going to concentrate on other stuff and that u won't see the next gen DX for a while...i think they're concentrating on longhorn and the xbox...of course i think longhorn will never really work out...i mean it sounds too far fetched but i would like it if it DID come into being tho...

Stez02k

*~ Mr. Trance ~*
longhorn is gunna be crap, all it is is windows XP but with a few extras, and a lot more spyware, and even has restrictions on using your cd writer, and wont let ya use mp3s, yeah its guna be gr8... not

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
:plain:
Sod...knew you couldn't trust microsoft. :getlost:
I think XP is the last os i'm getting from microsoft.

Stez02k

*~ Mr. Trance ~*
Doomulation said:
:plain:
Sod...knew you couldn't trust microsoft. :getlost:
I think XP is the last os i'm getting from microsoft.

i know same here at the moment, until i get a 64bit processor, then i'll have to get another win OS, but i love XP atm, its gr8, it just pisses me off when ppl diss it saying it always crashes etc, when they havent even used it

Clements

I like the way in XP when explorer crashes (happens on occasion) and it simply starts up again and you can continue normally! You don't get that in 98 or Me that's for sure!

Stez02k

*~ Mr. Trance ~*
yeah bloody gr8 Os, fast, Stable, and perfect for us Gamers, what more could you ask for? Even when i had an old beta of XP, that bearly had any bugs either, the best OS i've used, lol i had a geeza tellin me windows 98se is the best, and i had another geeza tellin me that windows xp was too cartoony, felt like punchin em :happy:

Flash

Technomage
Any OS from MS requires deep surgery to make it working stable.
But if you know what you doing you can make it working like tank.

Last time i've reinstalled my Win98 was 30 dec 1999. My config chadged from K6-2-366 w/ ATI Rage Pro + Voodoo1
to Cel600 w/ V5 6K I've even moved it from 1 Gb HDD to 20Gb HDD
and it's working fine.

But one prob - most user don't know how to enter safe mode, open regedit and remove wrong driver etc. which refusing system to boot.
they even formatting their hdds when they need reinstall DirectX instead of opening Regedit, going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\DirectX and removing little string called "Version

This will allow installing even DX 1.0 over 9.0 :)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
gokuss4 said:
longhorn is gonna be a gamers OS i heard also which is good news for us hardcore gamers :D

I don't think so, even if they did say that, it was probably a marketing ploy. Quite honestly though, thats all that the current windows already is. If all of my games were available for linux, I wouldn't even use windows.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
I installed DX9.0 on both my Tower
(1.2 GHz Athlon-tbird, 512mb ram, GF2MX400 64mb, SBLive!) and my Laptop (1.8GHz P4 Celly, 256mb ram, Mobility Radeon [basically a 7500]) and on both I saw a reasonible speed increase, nothing to 'write howe about'.

When I installed 9.0a on both I saw an amzing increase in ePSXe with petes plugins and in alot of my D3D based games.

Running Windows2k Pro on the Tower and WindowsXP Home on the Laptop.

Flash

Technomage
Stez02k said:
you really should try XP or 2000, they are stable as hell :D

My old K6-2 box now working as server under Win2K, yes it's very stable but server and workstation is different things.
You can (un)install 100+ programs on your
home machine per day and two per month
on server.

And using XP/2K (they have same core) on
homeputer have some problems - games.

Try to run Worms Armageddon under XP...

And old DOS games. In W98 i have menu in config.sys and can choose pure DOS mode with QEMM etc.

Some games working perfectly from windows DOS box (most of DOS4GW games even some older games (Beneath a Steel Sky, F-29 Retaliator (quite funny modem game)), some
doesn't (older Origin's games (Privateer, Wing Commander Armada and awesome Crusader games)

And many old games have better gameplay than newer with flashy graphics, 5.1 etc. Strife is waaay better than Unreal 2 (but of course it works ok under windows because it's based on Doom engine)

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Stezo2k said:
so is it worth upgrading yet for nvidia users? I know its faster, but i heard its pretty crappy
Its stable on mah GeForce2, not that I've tested it fully though...

Stezo2k

S-2K
Flash said:
My old K6-2 box now working as server under Win2K, yes it's very stable but server and workstation is different things.
You can (un)install 100+ programs on your
home machine per day and two per month
on server.

And using XP/2K (they have same core) on
homeputer have some problems - games.

Try to run Worms Armageddon under XP...

And old DOS games. In W98 i have menu in config.sys and can choose pure DOS mode with QEMM etc.

well i'm runnin XP, and i havent had trouble with XP games, even my very old pinball game: Slam tilt works gr8 under compatibility mode. As for worms armeageddon.... it didnt even work on my old PII 333 & Win 98 when i bought it, it froze when loading it up, i had to take it back. Games under XP arnt a big issue, unless its a dos game, heck even my old resident evil for windows 95 & a crap gfx card work awesome in XP, without compatibility mode.

If you really want DOS games and a gr8 OS, just partition your hard drive, and put DOS/Win9x on it as well as 2k/XP

OP
Lex

Lex

Stezo2k said:
so is it worth upgrading yet for nvidia users? I know its faster, but i heard its pretty crappy

I've got a g-force 4 ti4200-8x with det. 43.45 and dx9.0a from the first release and no problems

Flash

Technomage
Stezo2k said:
well i'm runnin XP, and i havent had trouble with XP games, even my very old pinball game: Slam tilt works gr8 under compatibility mode. As for worms armeageddon.... it didnt even work on my old PII 333 & Win 98 when i bought it, it froze when loading it up, i had to take it back.
Strange. I've played it on 486 w/ old 2mb Cirrus Logic card. But i agree, WA is buggy game.

Games under XP arnt a big issue, unless its a dos game, heck even my old resident evil for windows 95 & a crap gfx card work awesome in XP, without compatibility mode.

If you really want DOS games and a gr8 OS, just partition your hard drive, and put DOS/Win9x on it as well as 2k/XP
Yeah, it's good idea. On my old machine i had Linux, 2k, 98. But after power loss
i've got Linux and 2k partitions completely trashed.

Stezo2k

S-2K
Flash said:
Yeah, it's good idea. On my old machine i had Linux, 2k, 98. But after power loss
i've got Linux and 2k partitions completely trashed.

ooo nasty... probably cuz linux doesnt like windows.... but partitioning gives you the best of both worlds :saint: