What's new

DeSmuME Screenshots

diablow

How about a wiki-like system for compatibility lists? Anyone could contribute, and in that way all compatibility testing time would be cut to minimum. It would take a day or two from new emulator release to test out all available roms. It would be stored as a simple html document, from which the datalists for Low Lines flash-thingy could be generated very fast. Anyone interested?

UPDATE: Here's an example, of what am I talking about: http://luffy.free.fr/nds/snesds_compat/index.php .

Last edited:
OP
L

Low Lines

diablow said:
How about a wiki-like system for compatibility lists? Anyone could contribute, and in that way all compatibility testing time would be cut to minimum. It would take a day or two from new emulator release to test out all available roms. It would be stored as a simple html document, from which the datalists for Low Lines flash-thingy could be generated very fast. Anyone interested?

UPDATE: Here's an example, of what am I talking about: http://luffy.free.fr/nds/snesds_compat/index.php .
That looks good, though what would you do if you wanted to post compatibility for a game that has already been tested (ie you got different results)? My sugguestion is who would run/moderate this could have an alternative "Errors & Different Testing Results" list which people can post any number of tests for the same game, which the moderator can then judge and change the official list.

I would also recommend, using predefined information for identifying roms properly (ie Serial, Release Number, possibly CRC32) so that if you can identify one of these things, all the rom info will be automatically inputted so all you would really do is change the compatibility.

I could do a dumby example of what I mean, but I ain't too familiar with PHP so I can only do up what it should look like and contain in HTML :unsure:

[EDIT]

Actually, people could also post screenshots through this method too, and it shouldn't be too hard to create an XML generator that creates a data file based on all the testing (I can do it in javascript/flash at least).....makes my job easier :)

[EDIT 2]

He we go.... http://llref.emutalk.net/add_game.htm ....just my idea of how it could be done, to minimise errors, simplify tasks.

Last edited:

diablow

Very nice mockup, but first four fields could be merged into one - a list of good roms. Emulators also could fit in one field, since there are not so many of them anyway, althrough later, when more releases will come, it could get a little messy. And you should definetly drop out not tested and unknown options from compatibility field.
I could try to build up a little system on PHP and MySQL to do basic things, but administration options and security is out of my scope.

OP
L

Low Lines

diablow said:
Very nice mockup, but first four fields could be merged into one - a list of good roms. Emulators also could fit in one field, since there are not so many of them anyway, althrough later, when more releases will come, it could get a little messy. And you should definetly drop out not tested and unknown options from compatibility field.
I could try to build up a little system on PHP and MySQL to do basic things, but administration options and security is out of my scope.
A good rom list sounds good, except there are multiple dumps of games such as Super Mario 64 DS, Harvest Moon (J), Tiger Woods - PGA Tour (U)....

But I think starting with a good rom list would be great....
Give me an example of the layout you want for a good rom list and i can render it using my flash databases (meaning generate a TXT file, to save writing up a completely blank one for 588 games)

ie for example an array....

game = [title,serial,num,size,crc32,group];

or this....

game = [0001 - Electroplankton (J)(Trashman), crc32];

etc

Last edited:

diablow

Low Lines said:
game = [0001 - Electroplankton (J)(Trashman), crc32];

This type of list should do. Don't know for sure if CRC will be needed later on.

UPDATE: I've made a very simple script for compatibility list system, I'd call it v0.1, as it is far from perfect. As I don't have any hosting right now (PHP and MySQL are needed), I think I could just put up it here zipped. Anyone can use it and improve it :). To be on safe side, I don't take any responsibility for this script usage, or damage it may do. There's no administration features yet, so, having a phpMyAdmin helps a lot. Simple usage instructions: edit config.inc, rund admin.php, then refresh it until it says that tables has been created, finally use add_info.php. And please don't laugh at my horrible coding, better point out my mistakes.

Last edited:
OP
L

Low Lines

See if you can get Cyberman to help you with it, he said he knows a bit of PHP, maybe he check it or whatever ;)

Anyways, here's an updated romlist.txt file with all Numbered Roms, Demos (excluding demos from Download Station Vol2 as I haven't got them yet), and Game & Watch Collection which is classed as a XXXX Numbered rom.

[EDIT]

Could a moderator please clear up this thread a bit? My suggestion would be to move all conversation on this WIKI Compatibility thing to a NEW THREAD, and then remove all other posts that are not screenshot posts, as that is the point of this thread which I created ;)

Last edited:

diablow

I've managed to find a free hosting service. Here is the temporary test version of compatibility list http://mini.freehostia.com/. Play around, don't spam, and especially don't try to fill in all blanks - database will be deleted soon and all your work will be gone. There's something wrong with loading of all rom names to drop down list (I think it eats up too much CPU %), so I had to truncate list to 100 items (temporary solution).
Now, I'm still waiting for comments and suggestions. If anyone is willing to take over and build up a better system for nds compatibility list - please do, especially if you're good at PHP and MySQL. AJAX backend would rock.
On free time I might try to work out a more elegant solution of adding testing results.

Low Lines: please remind me of the format in which the data needs to be presented to your flash thingy, I'll try to write exporter from database to it.

OP
L

Low Lines

åsabo said:
Funny?

"
Low Lines vbmenu_register("postmenu_353164", true);
Slow, careful & precise

[URL="http://www.emutalk.net/image.php?u=40302&dateline=1156113977"]http://www.emutalk.net/image.php?u=40302&dateline=1156113977[/URL]

Low Lines is offline "
:unsure: What?????

@Diablow

Nice :bouncy:
And here's what my XML list looks like =]

<game>
<serial>AHBE</serial>
<status>sprite & texture errors</status>
<playability>1</playability>
<name>4 In 1 - Monopoly, Boggle, Yatzee & Battleship (U)</name>
</game>

Note:
"Serial" is the key element in my list and without it, I can't recognise the test.
"Status" is the detailed information on the game and I'll also point out symbols such as & and ' need to be written in those forms (ie & is &)
"Playability" number between 1-5, 1 being Playable and 5 being Not Tested. Must have a variable or else it will come up as UNKNOWN in my list.
"Name" this node isn't actually used or needed, just it only helps when you are editing the file by hand, but if a list can be made automatically, it is not needed so can be removed to kill a lot of useless bytes.

[EDIT]

There is more stuff in the XML files, though I left it out because this is still a test run thingo and it would be best for you to work with only what is needed. ;)

Last edited:
OP
L

Low Lines

diablow said:
Ok, I'll try to write exporter to XML some time soon. Shouldn't be too difficult.
Cool, btw you are gonna need game serials for games too, so tell me how you want them laid out and I'll do up another list like before.
But right now for me, it's time to tackle my English :(

spotanjo3

This is screenshots, no ? Maybe you should make other thread for your conversation. ;)

Doesn't matter. Just give you a thought. :D

OP
L

Low Lines

Rockmangames said:
This is screenshots, no ? Maybe you should make other thread for your conversation. ;)

Doesn't matter. Just give you a thought. :D
Already has been put in motion, just waiting on a free moderator to move all this into a separate thread.

Hiei-YYH

diablow said:
I've managed to find a free hosting service. Here is the temporary test version of compatibility list http://mini.freehostia.com/. Play around, don't spam, and especially don't try to fill in all blanks - database will be deleted soon and all your work will be gone. There's something wrong with loading of all rom names to drop down list (I think it eats up too much CPU %), so I had to truncate list to 100 items (temporary solution).
Now, I'm still waiting for comments and suggestions. If anyone is willing to take over and build up a better system for nds compatibility list - please do, especially if you're good at PHP and MySQL. AJAX backend would rock.
On free time I might try to work out a more elegant solution of adding testing results.

Low Lines: please remind me of the format in which the data needs to be presented to your flash thingy, I'll try to write exporter from database to it.

just delete what i posted, i forgot to choose the game from the list XD (most of the games missing? )

diablow

Low Lines, when you'll have some spare time, please make a list of roms and serials in the following format, if possible:
serial;name
e.g.
A2DE;0434 - New Super Mario Bros. (U)(Psyfer)

OP
L

Low Lines

Hiei-YYH said:
just delete what i posted, i forgot to choose the game from the list XD (most of the games missing? )
Don't worry, this is all in the trialing process, though looking at it, (@ Diablow) perhaps you could write up some validation options as well?

ie
- Prevent people from double posting on a game already tested
- Restrict certain words from status comments (ie inappropriate words etc)

It's a shame I'm not familiar with PHP, I love problem solving...Take today, I made this game with a jet that fires bullets at little parachuting people, and even though all my code seems to work/perform with trace() statements, the little parachuting men don't disappear/die!!! :angry: