What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Beta version 6.1.1 beta10

mkanet

Highest quality "working" settings

Pardon the newbie question. I have a very fast PC and graphics card. I would like to know what are the highest quality (reasonable) settings which work correctly.

I tried my best to guess what settings to use (see attached pic). I also set:

Depth Buffer Type: 32 bit signed

EDIT: I just noticed that I might have the wrong forum thread. (However, I am using the latest rice beta and respective options)

Thanks in advance!
-Michael

Last edited:

A.I.

Banned
Recently I've been experiencing constant freezing when I've exited (or re-entered) from full screen. I never used to get this problem with Rice beta 10 before and now I cant play my favourite games with the high texture packs in full screen or else my computer usually crashes. :(

Is it my system? Has anybody else experienced this and do they know a fix? I would really appreciate it if somebody could help me. 90% of the games I play use Rice Beta 10! :down:

Edit: If I had any money I would pay the person who fixes it but cos I don't have pay pal and realistically it's not feasible, I will instead be your friend for life! Least I can do! ;)

Edit 2: Why is the Rice beta 10 project dead? I know PJ 1.7 is around the corner (a very big corner!) and it will offer (i think) jabo hi res texture plugin but that will be ages yet and I dont wanna wait that long and not all of us have 1.7 beta which offers more stability. I know Rice has a life but so do me and my games ARE my life (at least atm until i get a job and get a life) so why cant someone continue to finish revision, fix the last bugs? :(

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
IIRC, Rice has stopped working on the plugin and released the sourcecode to the wild.

A.I.

Banned
O.K. You know the old saying: if you want something done you usually have to do it youself?

Well, after wasting 2 days of my valuable (lol) time testing I finally stumbled upon a very simple yet inexplicable solution to my problem which leads me to believe that either there is a bug in Rice beta 10 or my system is simply screwy.

In General Options I reset the full screen refresh rate to 85hz (I dont think it really matters what value you set because it automatically resets itself back to 60hz!) and it instantly fixed the freezing! Fortunately you only need to do this once.

I only tested this with (U) ROMs and not with (E) ROMs so I'm not sure if this problem only occurs with 60hz ROMS. Is the default value 50hz? If so that might explain this glitch.

mudlord

Banned
Pardon the newbie question. I have a very fast PC and graphics card. I would like to know what are the highest quality (reasonable) settings which work correctly.

if you have a strong graphics card, the best options are:

Render Engine: DirectX
Enable SSE
Enable Fog
DirectX Combiner Type: Pixel Shader
Swap Effect: Flip
Force Software Vertex Clipper
Anisotropic filtering on its highest
FSAA on its highest (bear in mind framebuffer effects won't work with this on)
Texture Enhancement: HQ2X or HQ4X

Why is the Rice beta 10 project dead? I know PJ 1.7 is around the corner (a very big corner!) and it will offer (i think) jabo hi res texture plugin but that will be ages yet and I dont wanna wait that long and not all of us have 1.7 beta which offers more stability. I know Rice has a life but so do me and my games ARE my life (at least atm until i get a job and get a life) so why cant someone continue to finish revision, fix the last bugs?

Dead? Hardly...and FYI, some people are working to fix those last bugs. I know I fixed several flaws with the GUI, and now BMGLib.dll is not needed anymore...I also wrote up a basic manual to the plugin too...

.K. You know the old saying: if you want something done you usually have to do it youself?

Well, after wasting 2 days of my valuable (lol) time testing I finally stumbled upon a very simple yet inexplicable solution to my problem which leads me to believe that either there is a bug in Rice beta 10 or my system is simply screwy.

In General Options I reset the full screen refresh rate to 85hz (I dont think it really matters what value you set because it automatically resets itself back to 60hz!) and it instantly fixed the freezing! Fortunately you only need to do this once.

Sounds like another GUI glitch, how did you reproduce the bug?

Devarius

What are the lowest quality working settings? My games run smoothly without hires textures, but there is an unplayable amount of lag with hires textures. The games end up freezing. I think my computer should be able to handle this, but the results show otherwise.

GFX: ATI Radieon 9200
Intel Pentium 4 Processor
512 MB RAM

Thanks

mudlord

Banned
Lowest quality.....hmmm.....

Well, you could try using:

Render Engine: DirectX OR OpenGL
Enable SSE
Enable Fog
DirectX Combiner Type: To Fit Your Video Card
Screen resolution: something low...
FSAA: Off
Framebuffer : Off
Render-to-texture: Off
Force Normal Blender

or smth liek that....I might add a FAQ to my docs though....

A.I.

Banned
mudlord said:
Dead? Hardly...and FYI, some people are working to fix those last bugs. I know I fixed several flaws with the GUI, and now BMGLib.dll is not needed anymore...I also wrote up a basic manual to the plugin too...

Sounds like another GUI glitch, how did you reproduce the bug?

lol, I forgot about posting in this thread. It seems like a world away. Last year, I changed the resolution to 1280 x 720 and haven't had a problem since. It seems 1280 x 1024 was causing me grief, big time.

JaidenUchiha

Ultimate Link Fan
I signed up for emutalk and WAITED ALL DAY yesterday, and while I was waiting to get registered so I could ask for help, I fixed my GFX Problem, and now Im having an even WORSE problem. I got the great graphics from that texture pack, and now I HAVE A CONSTANT LAG! It keeps slowing down to like 20fps when I play and its really frustrating. Is there anyone who is willing to help?

Thanks. -Jaiden

mudlord

Banned
Your video card should be able to handle it fine....

you might want to try messing with combiner settings and try turning off "force software t and l" in the DX configin the plugin...

IronGland

Hi. I'm sorry to be a pain. But how do I get the Rice Video plugin to work. I'm using the debug plugin but i'm not sure how to correctly dump textures. If someone can help me out with this that would be great. Thank you.

Cyberman

Hi. I'm sorry to be a pain. But how do I get the Rice Video plugin to work. I'm using the debug plugin but i'm not sure how to correctly dump textures. If someone can help me out with this that would be great. Thank you.
Try reading the first few pages firstly. Secondly I suggest not using the debugging plugin (really). There is a more up to date one as well, look in the plugin forum and there's a sticky in there that has it. Just use the normal one NOT the beta (beta== buggy :D ).
To answer your questions. Turn ON advanced settings in the graphics setting tab (IE after setting your plugin configure your graphics plugin be sure ADVANCED settings is checked then press APPLY) look at the pages carefully you'll see a little check box that says (on the texture tab) Dump Textures. Check that Press OK then run your game. Should start dumping them under the ROM name in a directory called textures in the plugins directory.

Cyb

Vorpal86

I have setup the rice pligin to dump textures in the texture tab. I'm using Project64 1.6 and the plugin doesnt dump any textures. Is there some games that the plugin want dump?

I'll try 1964 as well.

Thanks for any help.

Max of S2D

Umm... that would be for recording movies with ZD Soft Game Recorder with your video plugin. It crashes if i use the DirectX render engine, but it doesn't crash with OpenGL... hmm...

zaczac

Could someone please help me?
Im trying to re-texture samus' gun with a different colour (for now)
The original dumped file is
"SMASH BROTHERS#48254E23#2#0_ci.bmp"
SMASHBROTHERS48254E2320_ci.jpg

The new File i have edited is called the exact same thing and placed in
"E:\Program Files\Copy of Project64 1.6\Plugin\hires_texture\SMASH BROTHERS"
newgun.jpg

All options are set up correctly to load the new textures. The new texture is placed in the folder and the emulator wont load it ug at all.
Is there something i need to change because i modified the colours? If so could someone explain how? And also. If i wanted to change the size of the texture, would i have to add anything onto the end of the filename?

Thanks

klasa

You shouldn't use BMP files, only use the PNG files. You should try to retexture the same file in the ci_by_png folder (the bmp files are supposed to have a certain color pallete). The same thing also counts for every other file you'd like to retexture, use only the ci_by_png and the png_all folders.
Hope I could've helped you...

Psythik

Maybe this question has been asked before, but I've done quite a bit of searching to no avail:

Whenever I use this plugin in OoT, the textures distort horribly whenever link moves around (I haven't tested to see if this problem occurs in other games yet). They sorta inflate/bubble, and move all over the place. The strange things are 1. this has only started happening recently (so I'm guessing that I changed a wrong setting), and 2. it doesn't happen when I use Jabo's DX8 plugin.

Now I could just stick with Jabo's plugin, but I want to take advantage of high-res texture packs.

Is there any way to reset Rice's plugin to default settings, to see if something I've changed is the culprit? I've deleted and re-downloaded RiceVideo.dll, RiceVideoDBG.dll, and RiceVideo6.1.0.ini, but that didn't reset anything...

Help is greatly appreciated.