What's new

Banjo-Tooie stability discussion

OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Looks like I spoke too soon, I've found a place in the game that is really prone to crashing, i've managed to get it to crash 3 times in this place, its one of those first person shooter bits.

Basicly, what you do here to test is to go forward from where you start in the save state, this geezer will talk to you and tell you what to do, basicly you just go into this area with a bunch of TNT sticks and hit them with your peck attack (The B Button). just play through this bit a couple of times and see if it locks up, it did for me.

Maybe just a problem with this portion of the game. (save state attached)

Last edited:

Smiff

Emutalk Member
again define "crash"
i actually played this part of the game on 1.6 several times (its hard) and didnt have a problem..

4real

Well ive tried your save state ScottJC and yes the game hangs (freeze) after a few mins into the game.

But this is the strange thing using my own save the game does not hang (freeze) at all.

This what i did :=

1. Loaded in ScottJC save state game Crashed

2. Played game at that section not using ScottJC game plays ok not one crash.

3. Loaded in ScottJC Save and game crashed right from start.

4. Played game again with out ScottJC game played ok.

Did this a few time's ScottJC save froze every time but using the epp save from the game im using game played ok.

Last edited:
OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
By Crash, I mean the video and sound stops working. that is ALL I can possibly tell you. That is the same as I've meant every time I say crash, crash means it stops working or hard locks up. In other words the emulator stops processing data and does absolutely nothing. All I can do is end the emulation or load a save state, nothing more nothing less.

It appears to be randomish, as well. All crashes are the same to me, I don't know how Project64 works. I probably never will either.

I do not understand why that is so hard to grasp. ^ No offence intended.

Also, I am using Sync Game To Audio, if that matters.

Last edited:

4real

Tried using it with out Sync Game To Audio and still crashes with your save.

But your save def crashes when i tried it ScottJC.

Still no crashes using my own eep save

Last edited:

peoman

I use jabo's 1.6 D3D8 and the latest RDB (Beta8).
When i turn to fullscreen it crash after 10 ~ 20 min.
When i play windowed it doesn't.
(I've been playing for 6 hours straight with out a single crash)

Smiff

Emutalk Member
that's a 'game hang'. if the app crashes, you won't be able to reset/load etc 'cos you'll be looking at a windows error msg... please try to get this distinction down because there's several issues - we're all talking about the game hanging here now, i believe.
ok then the issue from last state above is probably just random core/SCMC error, not directly relevant to this topic..
ScottJC try playing that part from your native save, are you ok then?

peoman, that is excellent info thankyou. have you adjusted "full screen sync" option from the default Transfer Memory to anything else? (in Jabo's v1.6 video plugin).

4real have you tried windowed and fullscreen in both v1.5.2 and v1.6 plugin? if so, what are your plugin settings (first tab only please).

sorry the forum was playing up, the 5x post was not your fault.

Last edited:
OP
ScottJC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I actually loaded it from the native save then saved a state for you to try it on. - yes I mean a game hang;

Every time I tried it I never used one save state, here is my eep to try. I believe this problem happened in both full screen and windowed mode.

This game is a bit relentless, rare designed it to be quite difficult to emulate huh? :p

Last edited:

RattleMan

Avid Gamer
I was JUST playing Banjo-Tooie, and I was in Spiral Mountain playing with Bottles' Revenge...then, after about 5 minutes, the game freezes and uses up 99% CPU cycles.

...yeah, this is just my input on what's happened to me dealing with Banjo-Tooie

Last edited:

4real

i play it full screen and windowed mode and its still not hanging on me.

Hangs when using scottjc save state.

Everything is on default setting and only have default plugin's in the plugin folder.

Started a fresh game a few times now and no hangs (crashes) for me.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
4real, did you start a fresh game each time in pj64 1.6?

RattleMan, using full system CPU is a new problem to me.. anyone else get that? you using windows task manager?

ScottJC i tried your native save but couldn't find the TNT area.. damn this game. will try again later.
edit: ok i tried it with directions from gent, got no problems.

Last edited:

4real

Well ive got PJ64 1.6 with 1.6 video plugin to work with out crashing (hang) at the moment.(still testing)

It looks like it might be the save points in the game.

Been playing for the past 3 hours and not one freeze (crash).

Created a eep save with 1964 v0.8.5 (as 0.99 crashes) and renamed it and put in save folder in pj64.

I have attached the eep save for ya to try smith(or anyone else), you have to start a new game as all the save's are empty.

Last edited:

Miretank

Lurking
hey, i'm playing banjo-tooie too and i'd like report too. since i started to play the game, it crashed 4 times i think, in different points of game. sorry but i can't say where were the places exactly cause i started to play another game and completely have forgotten about the game ^^. the last hang i remember was in that jolly roger bay, in one of the doors to another place, when the screen get black. yeah, it was in mumbo's house if i'm right. but after this crash it never more gave me trouble( besides i had never playing it :p, but i'm stucked in that fish boss ). and i do not have a save state from that or any place where it hangs for me. 'im terrible sorry :-(

Miretank

Lurking

and i was using PJ 1.5 on that ocasion, with the default plugins. i don't want to cause any more trouble, and i'm new here, but when i was playing majora's mask, it CRASHED too. i went to the ranch of gorman to get garo's mask, and when i receive it, the windows had to close the emulator. again i'm so sad for don't have any save, i'm terrible sorry about it guys, i'd like to help about those crashes... :( it happened to me at least 5 times, then I went to another part of the game, skipping that garo's mask. after i did some side quests, i could get the mask without any problem and majora's mask never more crashed.
i promised that i won't delete old and buggy save games ok?

Last edited:

RattleMan

Avid Gamer
Smiff said:
RattleMan, using full system CPU is a new problem to me.. anyone else get that? you using windows task manager?

Yeah, I always have Task Manager open when doing anything on my computer. I checked it on the Processes tab, and Project64.exe was using 99 CPU cycles.

Also, MiretanK.O, instead of making two posts, find the edit button in your first post and add what you want there.

Last edited:

Xcyper33

Well I did what Scott said and Banjo is working the best I've ever seen it. I put 1.5.2. and RGB and it hasn't crashed yet. Im very far into the game and it hasn't crahsed once and I doubt it ever will crash.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
RattleMan said:
Yeah, I always have Task Manager open when doing anything on my computer. I checked it on the Processes tab, and Project64.exe was using 99 CPU cycles.

Also, MiretanK.O, instead of making two posts, find the edit button in your first post and add what you want there.
You're not supposed to do that. There's a statusbar in pj that shows where the cpu power is spent. I think it's dlist, alist and core or something.

4real

Update:

Well not had any crashes(hangs) with 1.5.2 gfx and looks like its not going to after 30 hours play.

Playing a frsh game with 1.6 gfx and new eep save(made from 1964 v0.8.5) and that seems stable as well over 5 hours playing and not one crash (hang)

Been in TNT area many times and not one crash unless i use scottJC save.