What's new

XP ME 2000 or 98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob64

Banned
which is the best version of windows to run 1964
as I am finding win98se very buggy and slow when running games also it freeze's quite alot

If I tryed a different O.S whould it improve speed & stabilty

Cheers ROB64

Win98 S.E
P3 Coppermine 700 @ 840
Geforce4MX440
256MB Ram
Soundblaster 1024

iq_132

Banned
98 SE is pretty damn speedy, but not that stable..
ME: Stay away, don't go anywhere near this one. You might as well go back to windows 1.0...
2000 is damn stable...
XP is fairly fast and stable...
(Based on my experience with them)

OP
R

rob64

Banned
I'm upgrading to a p4 2.0gig do you think that this will improve
the frame rate on Banjo tooie as it's slow and the sound is choppy
or will it depend on the o/s

Slougi

win2k and xp will definitely increase stability, though they might slow things down a bit due to more os overhead.

iq_132

Banned
You are upgrading to a P4 2.0? You shouldn't have any problem with any OS (Depending how much RAM you get... Which will probably be greater than 256 mb right?) I'd suggest Win2k or XP, like Slougi said.

OP
R

rob64

Banned
iv'e orderd 256 DDR PC2100 RAM

Will i need more or will that do as i don't want any slowdowns
or choppy sound what would you suggest???

iq_132

Banned
You probably shouldn't need more, but more is always better :)
Remember if you use windows 98, don't get more than 512 mb of RAM, it doesn't like it. (Not without some tweaks at least)

OP
R

rob64

Banned
so if i got another 256mb DDR There should no slowdown or choppy sound on banjo tooie as this is the game i most want to play

karth95

Lord of the Cats
honestly, 512 will help a lot with either 2k or xp, and yes, as long as you have a decent vid card, you'll be good.

RJA

The PC Wiz
Rob64,

Windows 98 SE is crashing, probably because your processor is unstable.
You apperently are overclocking. Windows XP probably will crash just as well if you don't stop overclocking or increase the processor voltage (Vcore).

I have Windows 98 SE, and it's been stable, even when hammering my PC, so don't start blaming everything on
Windows 98 SE, just because it's not a Windows NT-based
OS.:sly:

OP
R

rob64

Banned
did i say anything about it crashing no

try reading the post before opening your mouth boy

grand master

Emualtion Pimp
Xp RULEZ. I have had Win 98 se and xp, without a doubt Xp is the better OS. Especially that u r getting 256+ ram , should be a dream. All i ever got was crash and blue screens with win98 se (no overclock) and my computer didn't really seem faster (quite the opposite really).
This is based on my experience.

nemulate

All round nice guy.
It was all going so nicely and then one guy says something silly and the other starts getting abusive. ???

Why?

Stezo2k

S-2K
i know my pc ran pretty shit using windows 98se, i got loads a crashes and loads a blue screens, it had at least one crash a week. When i upgraded to xp, i noticed it seemed a hell of a lot smoother, better looking, and stable as fuck :) I know quite a few ppl put it down, but its the best os ived used and software compatability is gr8, the only thing i couldnt run was my old resident evil (pc version) and when i ran in win95 compatability, it worked quite nicely :)

Stez

petronius79

If you need Win XP just for N64 emulation go for it. But for everything else I would prefer Windows 98. In my computer, applications on WinXP (Photoshop, Office, Premiere) have the same speed with a Windows 98 system with Celeron (no 128 KB cache) 300 Mhz, 128 MB ram, and 4 MB ati rage pro agp graphics with 4 MB Ram and 20 GB disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.