What's new

XFX warranty woes

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
So my 8600GT apparently had the fan go bad. Without knowing this of course as my system has no windows eventually some caps blew on the card and that was that. I look up the card at Newegg.com where I bought it and it states a manufacturer limited lifetime warranty on hardware and labor. WOW! I'm covered who knew? So I thought...

So after submitting a ticket, which I had to register at their site and then my card, I get a decent response time back (3 days and I had posted on a weekend too). They regret to inform me that if I had registered my card within 30 days of purchase I would have had a 'double lifetime warranty' so it's basically out of warranty with them. Now to me this seems a bit foolish on their part as an 8600GT goes for probably $50 (or less) new or used depending where you get. Seems they would rather lose me as a customer , as well as have me pass around what I think on the matter to others, then simply help do something?? The day I register still does not change the date of my purchase so to me this simply appears to be some method they use to get out of covering warranties it is all this is.

There are PLENTY of other companies making video cards as you all know and XFX isn't so special imo that they deserve my business any longer.

index.php

revl8er

That Damn Good
That's pretty crappy. It kinda reminds me of the laptop I bought from cyberpowerpc which I made the mistake of not reading up on the company before purchasing. The mobo went out on the laptop which forced me to send it back after 6 months of purchase. It took about 2 months to get the laptop back after they sent it back to the original company they got it from which was ASUS. Once I got the laptop back I used it for about 1 month before something else went wrong which I called and called them and couldn't get a tech support person on the phone. Of course they tend to hang up after having you on hold for 10 minutes. After I finally got in touch with someone I sent it back to them and got it repaired yet again. When I got the laptop back I used it for about a week before it decided it didn't want to charge. It turns out the dc power jack broke on it. When I called them up again I was informed that my laptop was out of warranty so they wouldn't fix it. I let the laptop sit for about a year due to me getting a job and not having time to fix it. I eventually got a dc power jack and installed it and everything was good for about 3 weeks when it decided not to charge again. This time I pretty much give up on this laptop and am planning on buying a new one soon.

Some companies just need better customer support and I believe that you should get an extended warranty if some part on your pc is faulty and has to keep getting sent back to be repaired.

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Man that blows.

I myself am taking a stand here and going to see how far I can take this. I've alreayd bought a new card and it's on it's way. From EVGA and you can bet I'll check what I have to do right now to make sur the warranty is valid later.

I wonder though if it's even legal to force a registration to keep in warranty?

Part 2 (show a new response from XFX and me responding back)

http://forums.sofposse.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=1208

smcd

evga requires you to register it withing X days as well (30? 60? 90?) bfg has the best warranty from what i've read

OP
L

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
evga requires you to register it withing X days as well (30? 60? 90?) bfg has the best warranty from what i've read

And that might be fine if it said so. I have all the original packaging however and I don't see anything in there that says this nor is it in the manual.

I would think it to be unfair practice to force a consumer to reveal whom they are simply to obtain an implied warranty. Which is very different then identifying yourself to utilize a warranty. Anyway I'm curious as to their next move at this point. At the very least I want a better response then this technicality they are offering. I personally feel I am in the right on this no matter their rule is for this registration.

smcd

Ive never dealt with xfx only evga (and never registered with them, but then again never had problems) but evga's is in their manual somewhere, or check here http://www.evga.com/support/warranty/ for more info. Sorry about your luck with XFX - i agree they should do ya right and swap it or something if you have proof of purchase or the like