What's new

XBox games readable in theory???

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
I was wondering - obviously DC and GC games are not readable in a CD/DVD drive. But PS2 emulators should be able to use original games? Now an XBox game is on a DVD but is not readable, now in theory could software break this problem and make an XBox game readable or is it completely impossible. Just another wondering!
Cheers Grant64

Knuckles

a Xbox DVD is like write in 2 parts, the first part is readable using a DVD drive, this is most of the time the part of the intro video and stuff, the other part is kind of separated with that part, that's why a normal DVD drive can't read it. And I think it's like for DC and GC, you can't read that other part.

correct me if I'm wrong ;)

OP
Grant64

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
ahh ok so the sectors are a slightly different size! I thought it had a copy protection or sme sort of dummy track

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
It can be read, but it requires modified firmware for your DVD-ROM drive. I have no idea if anybody has got this working yet.

Knuckles

The Khan Artist said:
It can be read, but it requires modified firmware for your DVD-ROM drive. I have no idea if anybody has got this working yet.

most like for GC and DC CDs too, but modifying a DVD drive firmware isn't a piece of cake :p

desertboy

Xbox N64 Emulation Fanatic
The Khan Artist said:

If it was going to work I think you'd have to be using linux as this has support for fatx (The xbox file system) built in since the xbox-linux added to xbox-linux it was added to the core of linux as well.

I think you might just about be able to do it if you could get an original xbox dvd drive hooked up to a pc. (I know people have replaced their xbox dvd drives with special versions of samsung drives with the firmware rewritten and minor internal modification.)

The easiest way at the moment is to chip and xbox then you can ftp access to the dvd drive and simply ftp it to the pc (I use IE to ftp and it works fine).

You can even use xbox-linux to back up the games completely legally and above board.