What's new

WonderSwan, quited?

Darkfox

That guy that does stuff.
It seems that emulation for the WonderSwan system died like a year or two back and never picked up since, any info on what happened?

OP
Darkfox

Darkfox

Much appologies for double posting but to be more specific, Wonderswan emulation attempts ended in around 2001-2002, the most recent hint of continuation was for the rather akward Oswan (no offense to anyone out there that migh have worked on it) by PMHacks in 2004. Other than that there are no hints of any continued projects, specially not ones for windows.

Plus, Cygne had it's sourcecode released in faith that sombody out there would continue it, but since then there has been no reports of that happening, in effect I'm kinda baffled on why it "died"? Though I admit I haven't played it in a while, it's merely because of incompleteness, how they were shot down way before their time. If I had even a single bit of programming knowlege I would have long ago taken that sourc and tried continuing it, then again, maybe sombody has secretly? I dunno, just needing info on the situation.

jcrouse

Hacked OSWan

Try the version on my downloads page, under applications at http://home.comcast.net/~cpviewer. As you'll see from the website, I run everything in a cabinet using a front end called MameWAH. Our hacked version adds the following.

Exits with the ESC key
Accepts a game name as a commandline parameter
Launches to a fullscreen
Adds configurable controls

There is still a little more to do yet. We want to add commandline parameters -1x, -2x and so forth for the different screen sizes.

Enjoy,
John

OP
Darkfox

Darkfox

Hmmmm... is that the hacked Oswan you speak of? Hmmmm... well, the thing that bothers me about Oswan is that it uses a configuration screen rather than having a menubar which is actually more convenient and expected, kinda akward, and they said it was based off the cygne sourcecode but it has little in resemblance to Cygne, even functions like pausing and the changing of controls were removed. Kinda confusing actually... and how they all disappeared is rather eerie.

Last edited: