What's new

Windows update screwed up my sound drivers?

minkster

I just installed some windows updates and I had to restart my computer. Then I decided to play some music on Winamp and the computer made a beeping noise and an error that said something about a faulty sound driver. Then I look under dxdiag and it says I dont have a sound driver installed. Then to hopefully fix the problem I did a system restore to hopefully fix the problem. Unfortunately it didnt :( What should I do?? Thanks-minkster

_pm_

Pathetic Member
minkster said:
I just installed some windows updates and I had to restart my computer. Then I decided to play some music on Winamp and the computer made a beeping noise and an error that said something about a faulty sound driver. Then I look under dxdiag and it says I dont have a sound driver installed. Then to hopefully fix the problem I did a system restore to hopefully fix the problem. Unfortunately it didnt :( What should I do?? Thanks-minkster
Did you try reinstalling the sound drivers? If you're using Windows drivers, try installing the drivers provided by your notebook's manufacturer, if available. And if you have a BIOS setup or control panel, make sure that the sound card is enabled.
Hope this helps :)

OP
minkster

minkster

Now this is really weird...today I turned on the computer and the sound drivers are detected, but no sound is coming out from them. I will try and reinstall the drivers and tell you what happens next. Thanks-minkster

OP
minkster

minkster

I tried to reinstall them, and no luck. The sound just does not come out of the speakers, and according to the device driver it says its on and working properly. Any ideas? thanks-minkster

OP
minkster

minkster

Ok...now its starting to piss me off. I decided to uninstall the whole driver itself, and then waited for windows to load. Then it detects I have a sound driver and tries to install everything. But then it says to find the directory I have this .sys file in...unfortunately I couldn't find it. It said that my sound driver may not work properly :( ugh...can anyone give me a site or something to completely uninstall/reinstall a sound driver?