What's new

Windows 7 Beta Thread

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Probably some of you guys already checked some of the reviews out there, so I'm just gonna share my experience.
The thing gave me a clean device manager (no yellow warning signs of unknown devices). The thing is VERY STABLE, no BSODs, sudden reboots or weird behavior. The exception is that there's a moderate CPU usage sometimes, and the start menu lags sometimes for some seconds.
The system resources usage, well it uses almost the same RAM as Vista, but it feels more lightweight when you use it.
About the UI, I changed the superbar settings a little bit (I don't like those big icons down there). The new window thumbnail selection stuff is very useful.
Well so far I've installed:

uTorrent ---> Works
Adobe Reader 9 ---> Works
DVD Fab ---> Works
7-Zip 4.64 ----> Works
AVG Free 8.0 ---> Works
CoreAVC 1.8.5 ---> Works
K-Lite Codec Pak 4.4.5 ---> Works
Office 2007 ---> Works (I didn't install Outlook, Access, One Note nor Groove)
Nero 7.11.10 ---> Works
Winamp ---> Works (I even installed some plugins)
Windows Live Essencials ---> Works (I installed Messenger, Photo Gallery and Writer)
PerfectDisk 2008 ---> Installer didn't recognize 7, and doesn't allow the installation.

That's all for now, I'll share my experience and issues with 7 with new posts.
So what about you guys?

Last edited:

yegosimo

Bug Killer
Well I suppose that I could give it a try, and see if designing programs like Adobe and Autodesk collections work..

DIYROMArcade

Video Game Addict
Spec and performance wise it seems pretty good, I will just be amused to see the reaction of the people who are going to “skip Vista and go right to Windows 7” when they realize Windows 7 is just a rebuilt version of Vista.

I know a lot of the customers who have said this to me are complaining about the look of Vista more than anything since these same people don’t have much of a concept of normal performance. And any technical critiques they have are based on things they have heard from other people or read online. Alot of which was fixed with SP1. (For the record I run Windows XP Pro, and Vista Home Premium at home)

Coatchawa

Master Egg
Hm. I downloaded Windows 7 Beta 64-bit and installed it on my Dell Dimension C521 (2ghz, 3.5gb ram), and it installed flawlessly. Whenever I start it up, the screen just stays on one screen and glows. When I boot it up in safe mode, if says I need to be in a normal mode to complete Windows setup.

I'm thinking that this is because Windows 7 doesn't like my video card, but I don't have the time to mess around with it. Any quick-fixes or suggestions? =P

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Spec and performance wise it seems pretty good, I will just be amused to see the reaction of the people who are going to “skip Vista and go right to Windows 7” when they realize Windows 7 is just a rebuilt version of Vista.

I know a lot of the customers who have said this to me are complaining about the look of Vista more than anything since these same people don’t have much of a concept of normal performance. And any technical critiques they have are based on things they have heard from other people or read online. Alot of which was fixed with SP1. (For the record I run Windows XP Pro, and Vista Home Premium at home)

Vista is the Beta that should've stayed as Beta.

Windows 7 is the finalised, perfected form of Vista.