What's new

Win98 ROM Crash (from mightyrocket)

schibo

Emulator Developer
[Private message from mightyrocket moved here]

Describe the problem:

Game-crash. The game just crashes with an emulation exception.

How to Make this Problem Happen:

Not sure, but I think it's caused by high CPU-usage. It mostly happens in games like Smash Bros, Perfect Dark (won't get further than the logo, and crashes when getting in-game), and Goldeneye (won't even start). My crappy specs might also be the problem.

How Often Does this Problem Happen? [Rarely; Sometimes; Often; Always]:

Always.

Rate the Problem [Not Serious; A Minor Distraction; Annoying; Urgent]:

Serious.

------------------------------------
Windows 98
PII 350
256 mb ram
32 mb GeForce2 MX 200
Aureal Vortex sound

Gonetz

Plugin Developer (GlideN64)
schibo said:
[Private message from mightyrocket moved here]

Describe the problem:

Game-crash. The game just crashes with an emulation exception.

Confirmed. Banjo Tooie crashes right after start, DK64 works few minutes then crashes too.

Windows 98SE
Celeron 566@850
256 mb ram
3dfx Velocity 100
Aureal Vortex sound

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I doubt it's because of a slow processor. Is the processor getting too hot
like around 160 F? You may need to clean your heatsink and/or stop overclocking the processor. Those crashes you describe look like at least one of the two are true:

Your processor is an AMD K6-2 and the K6-2 processors are known to be missing some required instruction sets which the Pentium II has
(nothing to do with clock frequencies).

You have an unstable processor. The processor may be overheating
and/or not getting enough voltage (Vcore) when overclocking and/or
you have an underpowered power supply. Most PCs *require* at least a 300W power supply.

All the older versions of 1964 are working for me, and I'm sure that I have a PII and no K6-2, so that isn't the problem. Maybe Schibo should try running 1964 when running many other CPU-eating programs.

Flash

Technomage
RJARRRPCGP said:
Your processor is an AMD K6-2 and the K6-2 processors are known to be missing some required instruction sets which the Pentium II has
(nothing to do with clock frequencies)
These instructions not required to run any of N64 emulators (except obsolete PJ64 1.0) 1964 works with K6-2 very well - many games playable with sound. This isn't a processor issue anyway, something wrong with emulator, it's pretty unstable on Win98 - i'm getting
random emulation thread exceptions.

Most PCs *require* at least a 300W power supply.
Most ? I'm not sure. I had 250W PSU with Voodoo5 6000.... But it was
tank-like Delta AT PSU.
You need 300+ W if you have 2+ Ghz CPU (Or it's early P4 beast) plus
a few (more than three) HDDs or (and) high end or multi chip video
card (GFFX5800+, R9700+, V5 6K, Wildcat III + etc)

Only one problem - most of cheap PSUs marked as 300W is only 180-200w. But best thing is to avoid cheap PSUs - if you don't have
enough money better to buy less powerful CPU or video card than get whole computer burned out.
P.S. Enough with offtopic...

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
If you are overclocking, likely a 300W power supply is *required*.

Also, the Athlon T-birds seem power hungry, too. Between 1050 mhz
and 1.4 ghz, you should have at least a 300W power supply.

Also, there have been some people flaming *at me* for only having a 300W power supply with an Athlon XP. :ranting:

Some Athlon XP fans think that 300W is not enough and should get at least a 400W power supply.

Last edited:
OP
schibo

schibo

Emulator Developer
I am quite confident that this is a problem from Windows98, especially since Win98 users are reporting the problem. What will take time is for me to assemble a Windows98 test machine, then I'm sure I will see..and fix the bugs.