What's new

Why GCube is so fast ?

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
He was talking about GCube, not GCEmu. GCube doesn't have a dynarec. It's fast because it's well coded, and because it doesn't emulate as much as Dolphin does.

OP
GarulfoLinux

GarulfoLinux

You can get the source code of GCube 0.4 and compile it :) .

With some games, GCube 0.4 is better to emulate them.

If you've Gentoo Linux, GCube is in the Portage tree.

zaba_3

Btw anyone remember when there was post from Monk about releasing new version but then suddenly he disappeared again? I wonder that happened to him :p

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Btw anyone remember when there was post from Monk about releasing new version but then suddenly he disappeared again? I wonder that happened to him :p
Yeah... wondered the same some weeks ago... but you know... real life and such stuff! ^^
Probably he's still working on it like 0r9 does... *cough*

Sercio

since its not the GFX which slows the emu down... the main bottleneck is the cpu translation atm so opengl-DX it doesnt matter!

HyperIris

It uses opengl and not direct-x thats why.

remember me?

I'm studying FPGA and try build a GC dvd replacement, it will helps me to run the code to inspect gamecube hardware effectual...
a bit hard...and need more time.

the memory card code is not complete finished, i don't know how the DMA works. so more research must be done.

dolqube

Winphin Developer
Sorry I should have been more precise. Gcube skips a lot of the gfx emulation that dolphin emulates through direct x shaders. It just emulates basic stuff like quads textures, etc. If it emulated the shaders it would be much slower.
take a look at the screenshot on gcube's homepage and notice that you see no reflections or other things that shaders are used for.

This the gcube version you talking about?

http://rapidshare.com/files/76794704/gcube_0.5.zip.html

seems a lot of people were pm ing me for it I said I would just post it seems its very old and useless to me now. haha

yes you are correct in saying that it is the cpu emulation that is the bottleneck in the speed. But what I think the mystery to the thread starter was howcome gcube can compete with dolphin when it is only has an interpreter and no recompiler.

The cpu is not the only factor involved!
Although with a recompiler It is much much faster haha.

EDITED: o so it was you hyperiris I gave that version to a while back. I was confused with names and thought it was Sercio. haha

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Sorry I should have been more precise. Gcube skips a lot of the gfx emulation that dolphin emulates through direct x shaders. It just emulates basic stuff like quads textures, etc. If it emulated the shaders it would be much slower.
take a look at the screenshot on gcube's homepage and notice that you see no reflections or other things that shaders are used for.

This the gcube version you talking about?

http://rapidshare.com/files/76794704/gcube_0.5.zip.html

seems a lot of people were pm ing me for it I said I would just post it seems its very old and useless to me now. haha

yes you are correct in saying that it is the cpu emulation that is the bottleneck in the speed. But what I think the mystery to the thread starter was howcome gcube can compete with dolphin when it is only has an interpreter and no recompiler.

The cpu is not the only factor involved!
Although with a recompiler It is much much faster haha.

EDITED: o so it was you hyperiris I gave that version to a while back. I was confused with names and thought it was Sercio. haha
Nice to see the release also on emutalk...
Btw: how's Winphin going?

dolqube

Winphin Developer
Its doing quite well.
Havent been working on it for a while. Until last week that is.:flowers:
Was busy with college, real life. etc. :(

Im learning opengl at the moment. Reading the three main books on it.
The red blue and orange. www.opengl.org for more info on that.

Hopefully I will make some progress graphics wise. What I am doing right now is writing a disassembler that seperates the blocks. (To debug my recompiler of course and to debug my hle functions which are quite buggy.

Here is a screenie :flowers: