What's new

What is the best emu

Sercio

Sry my mistake >_< i think your cpu would reach on the newer build of dolphin! If i compare with knuckles system (AMD Athlon 64 3200) then i guess on some "higher" systems it could be work some smoother... but im not sure about it

Terranigma

Sorry to be a pain, but I still don't know if a 7600 GS (not GT) is good enough to GC emu. My main concern is the graphics. From the what I gathered, my CPU is enough, but still don't know about GPU.

ShizZy

Emulator Developer
If price diff isn't much, I'd go with the GT. However, I'm sure it's not going to make a hell of a difference.

GPU power IS important though... Gekko's video plugin can simotaneously be using dozens of different shaders (GLSL), and you still need a beefy video card to handle that fast. (For example, using my 6800GT is quite a bit faster than my Radeon 200M, even though the Radeon fully supports all effects used by Gekko).

Gagauz

this is kind of stupid if they know the emulator will work slow at 5 fps why did they make it anyway i mean if you made a emulator atleast make it work good then post it its like making a computer that works only half

Terranigma

It takes time to perfect the emulator. It's not as easy as that. People just want to play around with it for other reasons. I have to take screen shots so speed isn't too big of an issue for me.

metsfan

this is kind of stupid if they know the emulator will work slow at 5 fps why did they make it anyway i mean if you made a emulator atleast make it work good then post it its like making a computer that works only half

Why make an emulator even tho it doesnt work at full speed? Agozer said it best in the dolphin forum:

"Because the main purpose of emulators isn't to play games. Their purpose is to preserve hardware and through that, emulate the target hardware the best they can. Just because one can boot and play games in an emulator is simply a side effect, not the goal."

Sk8nspartan90

I am Link... well... with a PC
actually look up the definition of emulator.. it means "to mimic, copy"
you can back up the disks, and thats the furthest place you are gunna get with preservation...
yeah right now... you are better off going on ebay and buying a used gamecube for 30-40 bucks + shipping instead of fussing about a pc being strong enough

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
"Because the main purpose of emulators isn't to play games. Their purpose is to preserve hardware and through that, emulate the target hardware the best they can. Just because one can boot and play games in an emulator is simply a side effect, not the goal."

That's not entirely right. Emulation is to make a different architecture work on a target architecture that the emulator is written upon. Many authors do it because it's a challenge--not to preserve old games.

BlueFalcon7

That's not entirely right. Emulation is to make a different architecture work on a target architecture that the emulator is written upon. Many authors do it because it's a challenge--not to preserve old games.

Not in all cases, look at CXBX, thats just VM-ing the x86-BOX, but the graphics/sound hardware on the other hand, is being emulated. Of course, that is to play the games. Everyone knows that the ultimate goal of emulating a game system is to play the games. But as they say "its not about getting to the destination, its about the journey there"

It totally applies to emulation. I mean, when you program an emulator, you learn quite a bit. I have learned a heck of a lot about how computers, games, and hardware work by getting into emulation. Just this past year and a half that I have been on the forum, I have gone from "computer savvy" (ie: I can build a computer) to "nerdy to the extreme" (ie: You idiot! Macs are x86 based now, it will boot on pretty much any modern x86 compatible CPU that can handle SSE2 opcodes) If this whole dolphin business was like dolphin runs perfect, I would just pass it by.

Most people are just like "shut up, your too smart, I don't want to listen" and I cant stand those people, they are the people who just are floaters. They accept the problem, and all they do is sit there and complain, instead of knowing why the problem exists, what can be done to fix it, what is being done to fix it, and what can still be done?

My point in all of all of this, is since theres a problem, I have learned why it exists, and what can be done to fix it. I have learned a lot through all of this. Now Im not saying gaming is not fun, in fact all of this learning that was involved might make me a better gamer...

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Not in all cases, look at CXBX, thats just VM-ing the x86-BOX, but the graphics/sound hardware on the other hand, is being emulated. Of course, that is to play the games. Everyone knows that the ultimate goal of emulating a game system is to play the games. But as they say "its not about getting to the destination, its about the journey there"
Cxbx is mostly a wrapper, not total emulation. And though we see emulation of games consoles, that is not all emulation projects that are out there. There have been emulation to make other architectures work on PCs as well. The point of writing an emulator is to make it run the target architecture as perfect as possible. To games consoles, that means the games is to be playable. The other thing as an author is to try to please the crowd, the users of the perticular software. That is also a factor as to why games are prioritized and made to work.

Penguins

sry. yes i know. that guy who said "Why release an emulator that only runs at 5 FPS?"... well, I was trying to tell him that emulation takes a very long time to get right, and that it was the only emulator out there that ran nearly every game. currently, it can't run 2. that's all.

Penguins