What's new

What happened to the old time?

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Hmm...
ET is a lonely place nowaday...
I still remeber the old days, where all the great guys and devs hang around and posted progress, jokes or just some private talk.
Guys like smcd, gandalf, ScottJC, zorbid, Federelli or many more...
devs like Orkin (the Pete Bernard of N64 gfx emulation!), icepir8, Azimer or other great people...
What happened to the great time? I want it back... :(

Cyberman

I believe they all moved on and there are new younger people replacing the ranks. Az is still around just busy, mudlord has other projects. Nothing is static things always change. Dolphin went open source for example.

Icepir8 hasn't been around for a long time, but that's OK there are other people around. Just like people get married have families it's all part of how much time one has in life and how the scene cycles steadily with newer people. Many work full time and that can consume an inordinate amount of time when you are married have a significant other etc.

Cyb

A.I.

Banned
'Let the good times roll... down on me...'*
Hey, do you wanna see something really scary?
Arrgghh!!!

Wait till when 1.7 is released and they'll be all crawlin out from a rock... ;)

*Off topic film trivia: What movie did this song appear? Clue: It was played on a tape cassette. And no kids, it aint Scary movie.

OP
MasterPhW

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Nice to see, that some of the old faces still check the site, but are incredible quite lately.
I don't think that a 1.7 will happen in near future, so I probably have to wait a little bit longer to see some of them again.

mudlord

Banned
mudlord has other projects.

Guess I have a lil explainin' to do.

Yes, I have been working on VBA-M, until recently. As well as my retroemu.com competition entry. For the last couple of weeks, I have been programming essentially nothing, mainly due to me losing interest in the entire emulation scene since I do not like where it is heading and loads other reasons. I instead however, turned to a completely different scene (which has dubious legal grounding), to focus on improving my reverse engineering and ASM skills.

So thats where I am heading, I could return to the emuscene, I just don't know when :(. The scene was essentially destroying the love I had for it in the first place. Ironic eh?

revl8er

That Damn Good
A lot of us are still around, we just keep a low profile.

As for your off the topic movie trivia, I'll take a guess at it. Is it Twilight Zone The Movie?

Cyberman

Guess I have a lil explainin' to do.

Yes, I have been working on VBA-M, until recently. As well as my retroemu.com competition entry. For the last couple of weeks, I have been programming essentially nothing, mainly due to me losing interest in the entire emulation scene since I do not like where it is heading and loads other reasons. I instead however, turned to a completely different scene (which has dubious legal grounding), to focus on improving my reverse engineering and ASM skills.

So thats where I am heading, I could return to the emuscene, I just don't know when :(. The scene was essentially destroying the love I had for it in the first place. Ironic eh?
A well understood thing.

However taking a break can help. You can't ignore all the other things in your life for one thing. Reverse engineering is actually a lot more fun than emulation I'll have to admit. I reverse engineered a HVAC controller, nothing like going from pure assembly (original code) to C.

It's fun to learn new things. Sometimes so that the things you were working on can rest enough for you to regain some sanity.

Cyb

mudlord

Banned
However taking a break can help. You can't ignore all the other things in your life for one thing.

True.

Reverse engineering is actually a lot more fun than emulation I'll have to admit.

Indeed. I personally now find that the case. There's nothing like cracking open a EXE or DLL in OllyDbg and see how it ticks, and "fixing" some things in the process....

Like a Winamp plugin I encountered. The author went to the effort of adding product activation to it (and the algo used was quite neat). However, all that effort was wasted when the protection can be circumvented by a JMP instruction, then a NOP :matrix: . I might have to let the author know of that major oversight.....

smcd

Reversing is indeed fun. I do it at times. Haven't posted here lately for a few reasons (spam for one) and another being it seems mostly gamecube related, which I'm not into yet. :) It's still neat to see progress for the sheer sake of progress though!

Azimer

Emulator Developer
As sad as it is, I have gotten extremely busy. I work 50+ hours a week doing software development. When I have spare time I am either doing more work, spending time with my family or playing WoW (to keep my mind off of work). I always wondered why life seems to speed by as you age and I have it figured out now. We waste most of that time either sleeping or working, the latter which can't get done fast enough. So we are left with a window of 4-5 hours per night to get everything else done including family time.

I know this was the case for me and Jabo. We did most of our work while we were still at the university. Where's the new blood? That is the real question.

zilmar

Emulator Developer
15 years ago .. the demo scene, virus writing was popular
10 years ago .. emulation was very popular

... now not sure maybe the emulation scene is to hard to get an new great emu released. Maybe the new coders are off creating web based business ..