What's new

What happened to Earth Station 5 (P2P)

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I noticed that it's web site is no longer existant at earthstation5.com and es5.com!

I have been checking to see if that was a promising P2P network.

Was Earth Station 5 shut down, even if likely not by the RIAA or MPAA?

smcd

search google for "earth station 5 trojan" or "earth station 5 backdoor"...
I'd sure as hell never use it.

smcd

My 'problem' is p2p sucks, especially when it has a 'backdoor' to allow them to delete files at will by sending a special packet to the client.

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I was wondering, because this P2P was promising. I dunno now!

I don't appreciate the fact that there don't appear to be a web site anymore!

Last edited:
OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Their web site was taken down with no warning! WTB is this?

I thought they were better than this!

Clements

Websites expire everyday, and there are over 100 superior P2P apps than this which have never included dubious code in the past. I fail to see why you care deeply about this obscure app.

smcd

Didn't mean to sound like a jerk earlier, just don't always state things in as nice a manner as I probably should ;)

tye stik

Super Nintendo Wizard
"In September 2003 the program became the target of a controversy, as malicious code was uncovered in ES5. By sending a specially formed packet, the attacker could delete any file with a known path on the target computer. It has been alleged that it was created by anti-piracy companies to lure people into using their program, exposing their copyrighted files and then deleting them. The authors denied the allegations, argued that the function was retained from older builds, where it was used to control ES5 servers, and said they have fixed the problem."

It seems like the backdoor has been closed.

OP
RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
This sucks! I remembered a while ago, the web site suddenly became corrupt. It then suddenly displayed:

Not Found

The requested URL '/' was not found on this server.

or smililar.

Then a while later when I checked it, the domain name had expired and thus was a redirect to a domain name hosting page!